Is it absolutely necessary to have a pro editor?

Writer_

Registered
Reaction score
Is it completely necessary to pay a professional editor to go over your novel? Thanks.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

If you're self-publishing, I highly recommend it. If you are submitting, I highly UNrecommend it.

Writer_

Registered
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

If you're self-publishing, I highly recommend it. If you are submitting, I highly UNrecommend it.

Thankyou, sir. That makes me feel a lot more comfortable financially.

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
Is it necessary? No, not if you are self publishing. Just be aware that it will probably effect the quality of your work.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As others have said, it's not necessary unless you are self publishing. If you are going the commercial publication route, the publisher will provide editing for you for free.

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
It can be confusing when you always hear that you should have a polished, edited manuscript before contacting an agent. When I first started out, I had this same question but did my research and found out that, as others have stated, you shouldn't pay for a pro editor if you are going the agent route. Just edit it yourself and have others you know will make honest feedback and critique your work look over it and find as many errors as you can. It won't be perfect, but it won't be expected to be.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Reiterating what the others have said.

Though, while it is true that a legit publishing house will provide professional publishing, you should of course edit your work as thoroughly as you can before submitting it.

There's a book called Self Editing for Fiction Writers that I've found helpful.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Being able to edit your own work is a skill I think every writer should develop. Never mind the fact that I don't like paying for anything I can do (and should do, IMHO) myself.

But, if you're looking to doing the self-publishing route, that changes things simply because it's always best to have another set of eyes (trained eyes, for that matter) look over something. A commercial publisher provides that in the form of the editing team, but if you're the publisher, you'll need that extra set of eyeballs.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
If you're submitting it to publishers or to agents, you're better off not getting it professionally edited - because every publisher has their own editors and their own "house style" that you'll be expected to meet. An editor knows what the publisher wants and will help guide your manuscript to meet those goals - an independent editor has no idea what the publisher wants because, well.... they're not with the publisher. The editor will want to work with you to develop your book in line with what the publisher would like. The freelance editor won't have a clue and might, just might, hurt your chances if he/she changes it enough away from what a publisher might want.

However, IF you are self-publishing I'd find the money and get it done right. You've put blood, sweat and tears into this book. You deserve to put it out there with the best possible face to the public. An editor can help put that final polish on it and make it the best it can be.

Self-editing is good. You need to develop those skills regardless. But it can only help your book if you're self-publishing to get a professional eye on it to make it rise above the crowd and put the best foot forward, so to speak.

:)

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
My publisher hooked me up with a prof editor and she was amazing. She showed me what I was doing wrong in tech and right. She changed the way I wrote. So I would say get references first and make sure the editor will do more than correct misspelled words or punctuation.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My publisher hooked me up with a prof editor and she was amazing.

Just to clarify, did your publisher hook you up with an editor for you to hire (and pay), or with an editor who works in-house for (and is paid by) the publisher?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As others have said, it's not necessary unless you are self publishing. If you are going the commercial publication route, the publisher will provide editing for you for free.

Provided you can interest a commercial publisher in the first place. If your work isn't good enough to make that happen, I have to wonder what the point of self-publication is.

caw

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Provided you can interest a commercial publisher in the first place. If your work isn't good enough to make that happen, I have to wonder what the point of self-publication is.

caw

Rejection alone isn't a good enough reason to self-publish, but good books do get turned down by trade publishers, blac.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It is absolutely necessary to have your work thoroughly edited. It's best if you can do that yourself. Editing is a highly valuable skill for any writer, and you'll become a better writer if you can become a better editor, and not depend on external crutches.

caw

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, if you work on your book alone it's not been edited because you've not worked with an editor: it's been revised.

I agree it helps if writers can revise or self-edit their work appropriately, though. I think it's an essential skill for writers to have, but then I have seen many first drafts and error-filled works in the slush pile.