G'Day

Lils

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lilynavarro.com
Actually, I had a Scotch and Coke tonight. Twas good. :)

Oh, and welcome! Melbourne is a place I'd love to live some day. How are you liking it there?

I have to say Melbourne is one of the great cities to be at! Moved here from North Virginia, lived in Manila, and spent several years in Canberra (Never again! It's way too quiet for me there), but Melbourne is fantastic. Big enough to have that exciting city buzz, but not overly crowded like Manila was.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Cool. :)

The nightlife in Adelaide is pretty tame... there are about 3 or 4 popular nightclubs, a couple of strip clubs, a few alternative pubs (ie. they play music that isn't entirely popular) and at one time or another there are a few goth clubs that have events at most once a week.

And that's all there is, pretty much.

The only places I like to go are the alternative pubs and the goth clubs, though I haven't been in ages. I live an hour's train ride from the city centre, which is the only place for alternative stuff. Like, in the entire square-hour South of the city, there isn't one pub or club that caters to metal or gothic music.

The city isn't as quiet as people from other cities would have you believe, but the suburbs are soooooo boring!

:)

Lils

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lilynavarro.com
Hi guys!

I've been absent from these boards for ages, and I'm trying to get back into the online world, and writing, and things.

So... hi! I live in Melbourne but I grew up in Tassie. Hope everyone's enjoying the sunshine!

Hello, fellow Melbournian! What kind of things do you write? :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I should be working on an essay for Uni too. :)

Writing-wise, I usually do Urban Fantasy, but have recently started a romance movie script.

I kind of want to have one thing published in every genre. It's just an obsessive goal of mine. :p

Lils

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lilynavarro.com
I've just gotten back into writing after graduating from uni, and am working on an urban fantasy set in Melbourne. I'm not sure if it would be right to call it YA, because the main protag is 19, but that's what I think of it as!

Good luck with your essays!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I could've read any of 6 of them, but I went with A Doll's House.

I might still switch over to Macbeth or The Importance Of Being Earnest, though. A Doll's House is pretty boring to me...

requiett

Registered
Reaction score
Haha hi guys! I joined like last year and forgot about this forum :p *blows dust off account* Aussie seems quite the popular board! Any Brisbaners around? :D

Yea, I'm a BrisVegas native... and new to AW myself. Good to see some of fellow countrymen (and women) on here...

On a side note, is anyone else sick of all this royal wedding crap? Australia really needs to ditch the monarchy, as does Britain... could be interesting.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen too much about the Royal Wedding. I don't watch a lot of TV, listen to the radio often, or read magazines.

Basically I see this wedding like I see every wedding - as an excuse for the attendees to get drunk. :D

requiett

Registered
Reaction score
Basically I see this wedding like I see every wedding - as an excuse for the attendees to get drunk. :D

Well, considering it's costing something like $50+ million, I would expect a Moon safari or something...

Lils

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lilynavarro.com
I thought the Royal wedding was interesting at first--when it was announced that it would happen. Then it was shoved down my throat every time I turned on the T.V and now I just want it to be over so I can stop having to hear about them.

Cheers to them and everything, and I hope it works out, but I don't get the purpose of royalty in this day and age. Maybe that's why I'm not so caught up in the madness.

requiett

Registered
Reaction score
Justin Bieber is touring too. Between the Royal wedding and Justin Bieber, 12 year old girls won't know what to do...

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Yea, I'm a BrisVegas native... and new to AW myself. Good to see some of fellow countrymen (and women) on here...

On a side note, is anyone else sick of all this royal wedding crap? Australia really needs to ditch the monarchy, as does Britain... could be interesting.

Hello ladies and gents, I am not Austrailian (would love to visit though), but I must say they are pushing the Royal wedding everywhere - including here in the states. Though there is hope, they took a poll to see how many people actually wanted to watch it. Not too many, so they shortened their coverage. See, amazing things can happen if you just grumble loud enough. :D Have a nice day guys!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Parump! Stay for a beer or two. :)

My mum is currently watching the Royal Wedding coverage, and has been for about 1.5 hours so far. But then, she lived the first 20 or so years of her life in England. *shrug* Being born in Australia, and living my whole life here, I don't really care too much about the Royals, so I've been watching DVDs.

:)

Lils

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lilynavarro.com
I switched to other channels once the actual ceremony went on, but Kate was beautiful. The dress was wonderful, and there were a few awwww-worthy moments, like William telling her she looked beautiful when she came up to the altar. It was a nice show!

Amberly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
caswebb.wordpress.com
hi all, just wondering if anyone's planning on going to the sydney writers festival?

If anyone is travelling and wants to share their plans, tips?

Or if anyone is staying in sydney and wants to share their accommodation hints?

So far i'm stuck on a bus for 6 hours to get there, paying $200 a night to stay close and catching another bus home the next day, so any inspiration that isn't going to blow the budget would be wormly welcomed!

cheers

Amberly