Revolution under Seige

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Looks interesting.
I've been trying to find a good game to see if I like turn-based strategy games; I've never really played them.
I'm eyeing a Civ 4 bundle pack, but the graphics look kind of dated, although that might just be because it was a youtube video :S

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Looks interesting.
I've been trying to find a good game to see if I like turn-based strategy games; I've never really played them.
I'm eyeing a Civ 4 bundle pack, but the graphics look kind of dated, although that might just be because it was a youtube video :S

I think games like this one are turn-based but in the currently popular
WEGO mode (ie instead of I go-you go, both sides make their orders and then they are both resolved at the same time, so you can have armies colliding or running over other armies trying to escape or slipping past each other -- why only last month I had a brigade of Cossacks leave East Prussia in late september and get to Dresden before the first snow fall..which would have pretty much wiped them out -- that was in the similar "Rise of Prussia" game) so anyway, they are a little more dynamic than old-style turn-based games.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Looks interesting.
If you care about graphics that much, turn-based games are not for you. It's a niche market without the open ended budget triple-A games get, and the developers have correctly realized that the fanbase doesn't care about graphics beyond it being functional, so TBS games don't generally waste money on looking pretty.
Civ is pretty much the top of a line as far as TBS go. (in regards to budgets, not quality)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
When I say dated, I mean that it looked like a slightly better version of Age of Empire II graphics. Which is why I was somewhat doubtful because it's a youtube video, Civ IV is not that old.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
When I say dated, I mean that it looked like a slightly better version of Age of Empire II graphics. Which is why I was somewhat doubtful because it's a youtube video, Civ IV is not that old.

Well, the graphics for a game like AGEOD's games covering the American Civil War or the American War of Independence or Napoleon or Frederick the Great's Prussia in the Seven-Years War or the Russian Revolution are essentially an interactive map and some interactive ways of organizing your forces. The battles take a while but you don't see much more than a dial thing and a summary of the events. The results are generally pretty sensible and 70,000 well-supplied, skilled high morale Frenchmen with a good commander and a okay posture and force organization will trounce 50,000 Hanoverians and mercenaries and British Regiments with an good commander and a computer-generated (and probably very good) organization and posture. Sometimes there will even be a pursuit or a surrender of a whole force (in a seige).
So the graphics aren't crude, but they are essentially a map and some indicators and lists an so on.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, CivIV is 3D, not 2D, but i can't say it looks much prettier than AoE2.
Take a look at the shrapnelgames website, they have plenty of successful TBS games (and screenshots). Mainstream game reviewers often complain that TBS games look like like excel sheets. It's also often true. Fans of TBS games prefer it that way (or at least consider graphics to be among the least important features) and attempts of going mainstream with prettified graphics and simplified gameplay have shown that the lowest common denominator just doesn't work in TBS games like it does in shooters or sports games.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Well, CivIV is 3D, not 2D, but i can't say it looks much prettier than AoE2.
Take a look at the shrapnelgames website, they have plenty of successful TBS games (and screenshots). Mainstream game reviewers often complain that TBS games look like like excel sheets. It's also often true. Fans of TBS games prefer it that way (or at least consider graphics to be among the least important features) and attempts of going mainstream with prettified graphics and simplified gameplay have shown that the lowest common denominator just doesn't work in TBS games like it does in shooters or sports games.

It's a matter of taste. I prefer the bookish graphics of AGEOD:

http://www.ageod.com/

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm generally good with most games as long as they don't look pixelated.
I can play Supreme Commander and World in Conflict fine, but I can't really play Diablo I easily anymore, it's too hard for me to make out shapes...

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Looks pretty interesting. It reminds me of the Hearts of Iron or Europa Universalis series of games--essentially incredibly complicated games of Risk. I'm going to try out the demo--The Russian Revolution was an interesting time period.

As for Civ IV, if it's too dated for your tastes, there's always Civ V. Though I think the graphics are nice enough.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Looks pretty interesting. It reminds me of the Hearts of Iron or Europa Universalis series of games--essentially incredibly complicated games of Risk. I'm going to try out the demo--The Russian Revolution was an interesting time period.

I did the demo, but then everybody on the Wargamer forums was talking about the Ice March campaign scenario (Nov 1917 to May 1918 around Rostov and soon-to-be Stalingrad) so I got the game and played that and that got me up to June 1918 so I started the big campaign that starts then. I had been playing Rise Of Prussia (which uses the same game engine) so I've been doing okay with Cossacks, but not so well with armored trains and airplanes and steamships. Jeez, a lot of technical crap happened in the 19th century.

Status
Not open for further replies.