Status
Not open for further replies.

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
I am a procrastinator, and tonight, when I have three projects that need my attention I'm on AW...procrastinating.

So...tell me...

What are you writing? (Or like in my case--what are you NOT writing?)

I'll go first...

I'm working on Book Eleven of my Dardanos, Co. paranormal series. It's the start of a 7-book (or so) story arch for this world, and it's taking some serious world building as the H/h are currently in the realm of demons (pub date of Aug 31).

I'm also working on Book Six of my romantic suspense series. It's gonna be a fun one, with two very snarky, very sexy characters. (Pub date sometime in Feb? 2014).

Anybody else wanna help me NOT work tonight?

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I should be working too. Right after I post I will get back to my novella that switches between ancient China and current day US. I have another novella in the works that takes place in Vegas with fairies and dragons because, you know, Vegas has it all :)

Calle Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
Triceretops,

I feel for you. I lost a manuscript (my nano project) at 53000 words back in Nov. It was just 'gone'. No dropbox copy, no backup copy, everything was corrupt/lost. I never did find it; I don't know how it happened or what happened truthfully. It was horrible, and I was blocked for months after that. I finally broke my block last month somehow. I'm not sure how, but it broke. That was a horrible six months, horrible, horrible!

gcsalamon

Gina
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gcsalamon.blogspot.com
Instead of writing, I've been proofing a fellow writer's final draft before she self-publishes her first project. (my way of procrastinating)

I should be working on book 2 of my new Paranormal Crime Solving Mysteries series. I'm up to chapter 15.

The stories revolve around a special cold case squad. In each book a new character, with a unique paranormal ability, will be added to my team of crime fighters. (Kind of my twist on a super hero team)

From book one (titled "Sleepless") I have Special Agent Caden O'Connor paired with Alaina Reynolds. Alaina hears the voices of the long dead, who tell her where to find the evidence that will nail their killers.

In book two (titled "Visual Contact") I bring you Special Agent Ava Scott, who just happens to experience recorded visions of the last moments of people's lives. I've paired Ava with someone the reader isn't quite sure about. Is Ethan McKenna a killer bound to made Ava his next victim?

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
Working on the 6th book of my H&W Investigations urban fantasy series. Hoping to have a draft ready for betas by the end of August.

As soon as I'm done with that, I have a (sexy, I think) paranormal NA idea I want to play around with. :D

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
When I'm not surfing channels on cable or obsessively checking my email, I'm working on a shapeshifter M/M romance between a fashion designer/whitetail deer and a dragon. The dragon's biggest problem is that he's half Asian (serpentine body, water spirit, no wings) and the ruling class dragons are Western (fire, wings, the whole nine yards). Does that count as interracial?

The best part is that I can watch Project Runway and tell myself it's research. Justifying Hell's Kitchen and Bar Rescue is harder.

Calle Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
Sounds like we're all really busy, or really good at pretending to be. :D Tonight I'm in a paranormal mood, so I just created a war that shall span many books, created an all powerful race of beings more powerful than the gods, and all in 700 words. I'm on a roll!

Now as soon as the little night owl who thinks she's a werewolf (seriously, she's currently howling and saying "Me werewolf, Mommy!") falls asleep, I'm hoping for 5K or more on this book!

Cranky1

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a story about a middle aged widow who begins to lease rooms out in her house. One of her tenants is an aging prostitute who manages to talk my character into becoming a sex worker. The house eventually becomes a brothel.

:hat:

Calle Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
I'm still chugging along, starting a war between demons and gods. Today I'm going to have to get out all the books in the paranormal series/series bible and make some whiteboard notes. I need to do a family tree for my vampire race. I have so many now that I need to figure out who goes where, and how they are related.

Cranky, is that a romance? It sounds interesting.

Cranky1

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still chugging along, starting a war between demons and gods. Today I'm going to have to get out all the books in the paranormal series/series bible and make some whiteboard notes. I need to do a family tree for my vampire race. I have so many now that I need to figure out who goes where, and how they are related.

Cranky, is that a romance? It sounds interesting.

Yes. One of her clients is a young, hot Army officer and they fall in love. There's about a 20 to 25 year age difference between them.

I had thought that paranormal romance was a fad. I guess it is really here to stay.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
.... I'm working on a shapeshifter M/M romance between a fashion designer/whitetail deer and a dragon.... Does that count as interracial?
That sounds really interesting, Pterofan! Then again, I love shape-shifters, especially dragons (and sometimes werewolves and other creatures).

I guess it could be interracial, depending on how you approach the Asian aspect...? Do the Western and Eastern dragons have different cultural outlooks, or do they have some kind of historical prejudice against each other?

Sounds interesting, but complex. I understand your pain. Good luck with that, Calle Jay. :)

As for me, I have two WIP's going on, though one of them I feel I have more of a grip on.

Wip1: Is a Contemporary Fantasy (coming-of-age-romance?) in which a shape-shifting intersex merchild has to decide whether or not to "come out" to ver crush, and then to decide whether or not to stay with him when other people find out. (I tend to read and enjoy fantasy more than sci-fi, so this one felt more natural for me to write.) :)

Wip 2: is currently a polyamourous romance in a sort of postcyberpunk-ish setting. I have lots of characters to flesh out, especially since in their (alien) culture, they tend to have huge families, and they have very light D/s aspects in their relationships as well. I'm hesitantly calling cyberpunk because of one of the races abilities to travel into a sort of "virtual world". Otherwise, it's almost magic with Empath powers and electricity powers...

I'm currently having trouble with developing arcs for the main characters, fleshing out the family and friends, and trying to create more conflict and subplots, etc. I'm one of those people who always needs to take notes, so I always have tons of notes and a notebook or two.

KVL

Registered
Reaction score
London, but I left my heart in San Francisco
I am a procrastinator, and tonight, when I have three projects that need my attention I'm on AW...procrastinating.

Nice to see a fellow procrastinator :)

I should probably be working on the sequel to a novel that my editor recently contracted. Instead I'm 34k into a steampunk romance.

Pterofan, your shapeshifters sound interesting!

Vanessa - I kinda want to try wakeboarding now. Maybe if they go real slow I could stay on...

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to finish up the second book in my Legends and Myths series. This one is about the Grim Reaper, his unfallen-angel brother, and the dying woman they both fall in love with.

I'm also writing a satirical crime-fiction, mystery/thriller thingie. At the rate I'm going, I estimate I'll be finished with it sometime after the Apocolypse.

Calle Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
I had thought that paranormal romance was a fad. I guess it is really here to stay.

Yeah, since I read my first paranormal romance at least twenty years ago, I'd say it's well past the point of being a fad and is here to stay.

Calle Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
I love how different everybody's books sound while still being considered romance!

Beachgirl,
I have a few that probably won't be finished until well after the Apocalypse so I feel ya!

KVL,
I've found that the more I 'have' to work on a book the less I want to, and the more I do work on others. I'm real bad about that!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.