What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Just stated THE RAVEN BOYS by Maggie Stiefvater and although it's very early days, it's not grabbed me. I like the premise, but I found the first couple of chapters to be really exposition heavy and while she's got a lovely, lyrical turn of phrase, I'm yadda-yaddaing a bit. Will keep going to see where it goes as it could be that I'm just totally jaded with YA at the moment so not giving it a chance.

MM

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished THE TURNING, which I was pretty disappointed by.

Still reading FIRELIGHT among other things, but I will also be reading one of the three other library books I got the other day.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Just finished Scars by Cheryl Rainfield. "Wow!" sums that up nicely.

Been starting and stopping a lot of books lately, because my hands have been acting up. So I'm in the middle of Poison Princess by Kresley Cole, Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally, Flukes by Nicole Chase and Once Every Never by Lesley Livingston. For some, I know I was enjoying them but i probably need to restart to appreciate them fully. Others just don't wanna click.

Not sure whether I'll keep going with one of these or try something else and come back when I'm in the right mood.

eparadysz

Registered
Reaction score
Just read THROUGH TO YOU. I liked the story, but there were no surprises for me. I felt early on that there was only one way the story could play out, and that's exactly how it went. Sort of ironic, given the subject.

Now reading THE RAVEN BOYS. I like Maggie Stiefvater a lot, but I'm finding the POV in this one kind of stiff and distant, so far.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I could not get into C1nder :( so I picked up MEANT TO BE by Lauren Morrill instead. Fluffy romantic comedy. If you like Sarah Dessen's THIS LULLABY -- as in, if you thought Dexter was cuuute in that book you'll like this one. :) MTB was fluffy and an easy read.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
eparadysz:
Now reading THE RAVEN BOYS. I like Maggie Stiefvater a lot, but I'm finding the POV in this one kind of stiff and distant, so far.

Yeah, I'm finding it difficult to get into too for similar reasons. I like the friendship between the four boys but I don't feel close to anyone and I'm actually having problems telling Adam and Noah apart. I'm also finding the plot rather predictable and a little dull - the whole ley line/Owain Glendower thing should ping more than it does.

MM

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
TEN is the library book I decided to go with. I think I had it figured out a fourth of the way through it, but we'll see.

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
I could not get into C1nder :( so I picked up MEANT TO BE by Lauren Morrill instead. Fluffy romantic comedy. If you like Sarah Dessen's THIS LULLABY -- as in, if you thought Dexter was cuuute in that book you'll like this one. :) MTB was fluffy and an easy read.

I've been waiting for this one forever. Good to hear it's living up to people's expectations.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Just finished Paul Crilly's The Lazarus Machine (disclosure, also read the ms)

YA steampunk, set in pseudo-Victorian London where automatons powered by human souls roam the streets.

Professor Moriarty and Sherlock Holmes make appearances.

Certainly more fun than serious, but highly entertaining.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Just started Wither. Interesting world-building so far. The concept strikes me as a bizarre mashup of Gattaca and Logan's Run, but that might just be my geekiness showing...

dbock

He had lucid moments.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Just finished Outpost. Book two of the Razorland series by Ann Aguirre. It's pretty fantastic and I highly recommend it. :)

Plus Ann is a fabulous person. :D
Ann's on twitter too: @MsAnnAguirre

Next on my list is Renegade by Jessica Souders, another fantastic person.
Jessica's twitter: @jasouders

Last edited:

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Partials by Dan Wells. It's just got really, really good. :eek:

Dys and I both really enjoyed PARTIALS. Glad you're liking it.

Yes! PARTIALS was a really cool read. *cue: fond London memories :)*

Aaaaand I finished THE BOOK THIEF last week. Now I'm terribly book hungover and nothing can quite grab me. What a wonderful book. :heart:

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Yeah, The Book Thief was a good book. Death's narration was just superb.

Yeah, it was fabulous. As a German who's been fairly active in the anti-Nazi scene when I lived there, I honestly tend to react pretty emotional to books like this, so I had to find myself a quiet corner when I finished it on campus so that no one would see me cry. :tongue

We used to take people who claimed that the holocaust was all some crazy conspiracy theory out to Dachau and showed them all the graves and the walls in the barracks that were riddled with bullets. Chilling. So, yeah.

Anyway, as a future English and German teacher I really hope to be able to pass this book on to all the students. :)

Might have to read I AM THE MESSENGER as soon as I'm through with Scott Tracey's DEMON EYES (I needed a quick "popcorn" read and so far am fairly unimpressed, to be honest). Serious book hangover probably isn't helping.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm back!
Was reading books on and off while I was sick, but dropped most of them halfway, probably due to the lack of focus.
Am reading EV0LUTI0N OF MARA DYER and loving it completely. Somehow the author manages to push all the right buttons. The romance (obsessive), the LI (adorable yet with an edge and a secret), the plot (mysterious, creepy and full of questions), the supernatural element (once again, highly mysterious), the thriller factor, endless cliffhangers, everything fits together into a delicious pattern. It's also curious how a lot of people complain the pacing is too slow, yet I never did--even though I'm the kind of reader who always says, come on, less introspection, more action, step on the gas, go go go.

Status
Not open for further replies.