Insomnia?

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else have insomnia?? Because I've been having a seriously bad case of it for several days now.

....should I seek help??

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else have insomnia?? Because I've been having a seriously bad case of it for several days now.

....should I seek help??
Maybe your mind is racing around about how to get out of your job?...:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
HAHA...I know! I can't seem to relax? You wouldn't have a muscle relaxer on you, would ya? j/k!

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
I got muscle, mind and life relaxer goodies...some really good stuff...;)

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
It's 5:30 in the morning! I am not even tired because my mind won't let me be tired...grrrr...but hey! I am getting some really good writing time in. It's sooo quiet in this big, creepy house.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I go through bouts of insomnia that usually don't last more than a week or two. I usually get them about every other month or so. The last bout I had was really bad, though. I did end up going to my doctor, and she gave me some Lunesta, which helped. I tried the OTC stuff first, but it didn't do me any good.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I've been talking with other people, both in real life and in other threads here about the inability to sleep here in the last week or two.

One person suspects it's the impending arrival of fall, and I am inclined to agree. I have a feeling that both fall and winter will be arriving early here.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
I periodically have trouble sleeping at night. Sometimes I can sleep during the day, but not at night. I have learned when this happens it is because I am anxious or worried about something. A few of the ways that I have handled it are:
1. Get up and write down in a journal whatever the hell is bother me. Getting it down on paper allows me to stop thinking about it.
2. Focus my attention on my breathing. Whenever my mind takes off running down a thought, I refocus attention back to my breathing. It's like meditation to fall asleep.
3. Starting at my toes I sequentially relax each part of my body until I get up to the top of my head. If I get to the top of my head and I am not asleep, I start again with relaxing my toes.
4. Sometimes I take valerian. It's an herb used for insomnia.

Hope some of that helps. :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Pick up a good book, get all cozy in bed to read.....and bet you fall asleep. I do.

lol.....

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I actually slept through the night. I usually wake up at 2:30 and am wide awake until about 4 then I'll fall back alseep. Pretty bad TV at those hours I might add.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, have had insomnia for years. I finally get to sleep about 5 am and sleep just a few hours. Not a good thing. Hope you guyz all get some zzzzz's.

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
It does stink. I have been afflicted with a REM sleep disorder since 1986. I sleep only a few hours a day/night - if I sleep at all. I can go up to 80 hours without sleep. By then, I will use medication for intervention if I cannot nap. But, mostly, I take sleep when I can get it now - rather than waiting for night. Not a good habit for someone who has periodical bouts like you describe though - so don't do that.

You do not need to see a doctor, although that could possibly be helpful. The best bet for you is to see if you can correct this by changing some habits before seeking medication as an intervention. Many sleep issues can be corrected without medication. You can start by dropping caffienne if you drink it in any form, drop sugar if you consume it, take a warm bath and set up a routine for preparing for bedtime (just like for a child) and see if that helps.

There are some threads here about sleep issues with helpful advice in them regarding correcting such issues. I believe one member even linked to a professor's websit site regarding what to do. I cannot find the link for you here, but will post it if I do find it.

Good luck and perhaps once your stress is gone you will sleep again.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I think I just have to face facts that I am one of those people who are done with sleeping long hours. I use to sleep tons as a child because that's what the "study" says children and young adults need as much sleep than mature adults do. Correct me if I'm wrong, though!

I've only had a good three hours of sleep today. If it keeps up like this, should I talk to my doctor??

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I've also had periodic bouts of insomnia since I had a car wreck in 2001. Lately, I haven't been able to sleep, so my doctor prescribed Ambien. I haven't slept that well in years. I wish I had found it earlier. I know many people don't want to take something, but I needed it now.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I take sleeping pills every now and then but it still doesn't help. I think I might need something stronger....

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
I think I just have to face facts that I am one of those people who are done with sleeping long hours. I use to sleep tons as a child because that's what the "study" says children and young adults need as much sleep than mature adults do. Correct me if I'm wrong, though!

I've only had a good three hours of sleep today. If it keeps up like this, should I talk to my doctor??

It is clear this is frustrating for you. It is for me too in my case. Frustration hampers rest. So I will see if I can help you more.

Sleeping under six hours can be adverse to your health. It is hoped people will sleep at least 6 hours a night regardless of adult age - more for younder kiddos/elderly/ill, etc. That much is needed for recoupretive benefits required for motor functions and brain function to perform near or at peak levels. Less sleep means your skills in decision making are hampered as well as your motor skills necessary for driving, etc. This does not apply to the whole population in the world, but is a general guideline so don't smack me for saying it please.

I am not a doctor. But, I do have a degree as an RCP (respiratory care practitioner). I do not practice currently, but did a few years back. RCPs administer the sleep studies doctors order. I can provide you some possible hints or advice if I know the following things:

How old are you?
How long has this sleep disturbance been going on?
Have you recently moved - if so when?
Have you recently gained a roommate or lost one?
What stressors in your life are happening now that were not there before and when did they start?
Have you had a recent illness (cold or flu - not a headache though)?
Have you had any accidents or bumps to your head where you did or did not lose consciousness?
Have you changed your eating habits?
Has your schedule changed regarding work hours?
Do you work shift work?
Do you take vitamins - what kind if yes?
How much sugar do you consume and how much caffeinne daily?
Has anyone close to you died, been ill or has a chronic illness?
Have you recently engaged in or disengaged from a personal relationship with a significant other?
Do you have any weight issues? Overweight or underweight?
Do you have a major or chronic illness like Asthma that you medicate for?
Do you take any illegal or prescribed meds and what are they?

You will be asked most or all of these questions by the doctor or sleep lab if you go. You can PM me your responses and I will tell you what I can to assist you further.

Certainly, you can go to your doctor. And medication like Ambien or Lunesta can help. But, if you can correct a mild sleep or seasonal sleep disturbance yourself, you will be better prepared to handle the same in the future should it come up again.

Let me know if you want my help and I will gladly tell you what I can.

Christine