The right title for a SFF story

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenSquares

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fourgreensquares.wordpress.com
I tend not to find a title until most of the way through a first draft. I start off calling it something very basic and plot related, like "Shipwrecked" or "The Frozen People One".

Over time, I start to call it something else, and eventually the title coalesces. I find that finding the title generally correlates with my figuring out exactly what story I'm trying to write.

I honestly don't mind if a marketing department changes it. One less thing to worry about, but I understand why people don't.

--GreenSquares

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Woah! Resurrection! Thanks!

Nothing new to add, just that I change the name from The Obsolete Man to The Man from Megapolis.

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
Writers rarely have final say on what a book title is. Publishers have big ol marketing departments that will more than likely change anything that you have now. Therefore, don't worry too much about it. Give it a working title that means something to you and then write. Let the suits who get paid to think up things like that do it later on.

As far as short stories go, it is normally quite the opposite. Unless the title is really bad. Bad being open to interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.