Does this count as "previously shopped"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chagchag

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

This is my first post! (I pored over the newbie FAQ but apologies in advance on any snafus...)

Three years ago I had an agent who shopped my novel to about 10 YA and 10 adult market editors. Three or four of them are no longer editors.
(I have a list of the agents who saw the book.)

To keep everything above-board, I've already let the old agent go. (Not just because it didn't sell; there were sloppiness issues...) Now I'm looking for new representation, but the book I've written is completely different, completely re-imagined, re-titled and re-written. The "hook" in the first paragraph in my query is completely new to this second work. Maybe 7 percent of text (i.e. 20 or so pages) from the old made it to the new, but some of the character/place names are the same, and the theme (coming of age of a scholarship student @ a high school) is similar.

My question: I haven't mentioned the old representation in the query. I've gotten some manuscript requests (yay! but I know it's a long climb ahead) that I've gladly obliged. I haven't been mentioning the previous representation when I submit the manuscripts, but: Should I?

I feel like this is a grey area...but at the same time this is a separate, second novel. What do you think?

Thank you!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In this situation, I would probably say it would be something to bring up at the offer stage. At that point, you know the agent is interested enough in the novel that when you explain the situation in full, they will not be likely to reject at the first sign of editors having seen it.

I think at this point what you have is a new novel that you recycled bits of the old one into. But it'd be good to disclose your previous agent relationship and history of this novel anyway.

I am in no way an expert, so this is only worth two cents

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
If you get a solid bite of representation from a new agent, you let them know that bits of it were recycled from a book that had been shopped by the first agent three years ago.

If only 7% of the original survived, then it's certainly a different book!

Writers recycle their own stuff all the time.

Good luck and welcome to AW! :welcome:

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
What Gillhoughly said. No use introducing complications before you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.