South Africa, 2010

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there's a marvellous rumour doing the round about why the atmosphere was so bad in the England camp. Recommended google keywords: Gerrard gagging order.

I fail to see the reasoning behind it - Gerrard cannot be that ******* stupid to take a 16 year old instead of the hot woman he has as a wife, Alex Curran.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I fail to see the reasoning behind it - Gerrard cannot be that ******* stupid to take a 16 year old instead of the hot woman he has as a wife, Alex Curran.

Not stupid enough? (even though it may yet to turn out to be Curran's sister...)

He is an English footballer you know. They lead with their groins.

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score

Well, who knows the ways of the human loins, er heart. Most people wouldn't get involved in melees with DJs in nightclubs, consort with prostitutes old enough to be their grandmother, or allow themselves to filmed in sex videos. Or forget to attend drugs tests. Or be outraged at being only offered £55000 a week.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for Brazil going home. Never liked the team. They're snobs.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Sucks to be Ghana. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

I'm so happy Suarez got a red, though. I thought his play today was an absolute disgrace. Really, I hop they sit him for the final, if Uraguay somehow makes it.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Sucks to be Ghana. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

I'm so happy Suarez got a red, though. I thought his play today was an absolute disgrace. Really, I hop they sit him for the final, if Uraguay somehow makes it.

I thought the handball was hilarious and later on the stroke of a genius. No handball = victory for Ghana.

I rooted for Ghana!

But I am absolutely disappointed with Brazil...

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I was happy to see the Dutch win. I like that team.

More important, Dunga's philosophy of a more structured, controlled type of play will hopefully go out the window and Brazil will return to the elegant style that not only has won a lot of world cups, but is a pleasure and a treat to watch.

There's a conventional wisdom that flash and fun are fine, but to win the big games you have to be grim and serious, no fun allowed. Every time that notion takes a hit, I applaud.

For the Americans here, remember the Packers/Jets? Vince Lombardi, the icon of football coaching? "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

He was the essence of drill sergeant mentality, dour and humorless, and his players wore military haircuts and toed the line.

No way could the hard drinking wisecracking Broadway Joe team beat them in the big game. But they did, and outplayed them as well.

The idea that to win at the highest level you have to abandon all notion of fun has done a lot of harm to sport in general. If Brazil had won the world cup this year you'd be seeing a humorless team with little soul for the foreseeable future. So, goodbye Dunga, and good riddance.

Brutal loss for Ghana -- what a finish, though. But they're young. The entire team will be back four years from now, with more experience and maturity. They could be a force.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
So who's winning tonight? Anybody want to venture a guess? I'm hoping Argentina and Paraguay. I think I'll be dissapointed in both cases.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For the Americans here, remember the Packers/Jets? Vince Lombardi, the icon of football coaching? "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

He was the essence of drill sergeant mentality, dour and humorless, and his players wore military haircuts and toed the line.

No way could the hard drinking wisecracking Broadway Joe team beat them in the big game. But they did, and outplayed them as well.

I applaud the sentiment, and I agree. But...

- the quote isn't actually Lombardi's. What Lombardi claimed to have said was, "Winning isn't everything. The will to win is the only thing."

- The big game in which Broadway Joe and the Jets triumphed, in Super Bowl III, didn't involve the Packers - it was against the Baltimore Colts. Lombardi's last game was the Packers' 33-14 Super Bowl triumph over the Raiders the previous year.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I applaud the sentiment, and I agree. But...

- the quote isn't actually Lombardi's. What Lombardi claimed to have said was, "Winning isn't everything. The will to win is the only thing."

- The big game in which Broadway Joe and the Jets triumphed, in Super Bowl III, didn't involve the Packers - it was against the Baltimore Colts. Lombardi's last game was the Packers' 33-14 Super Bowl triumph over the Raiders the previous year.
Ditto...I agree that "fun" is good. Or rather, it can be good.

But that doesn't mean discipline has no place. Having both is the ideal.

And maybe ease up on old Vince. He was an NFL head coach for ten years...and won a championship in five of them. There's not a whole lot of second guessing available on that road.