• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of agents are taking longer on their fulls than they used to.

Or maybe it's just my fulls ;)

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Just received a full request from ALena Gribskov (Steven Malk's assistant). Having a bit of a panic attack right now (in a good way). :)

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Hester! I'm still waiting to hear back from Steven Malk on my full. Good luck to both of us!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Sage and Beckstah! :) Fingers crossed for all of us!!

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
My exclusive with Steve Malk ends tomorrow, but nothing yet...

It's a little funny how, when he first asked for the full, I welcomed the opportunity to take a break from querying for a while, and I thought I wouldn't mind if he didn't get back to me right away because then I could keep being optimistic. And now I've become the crazy person who stares at her phone/e-mail every ten minutes. I'm expecting a rejection, but I can't help but hope for good news!

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
My exclusive with Steve Malk ends tomorrow, but nothing yet...

QUOTE]

He must have been excited about your manuscript to ask for an exclusive (his assistant requested a nonexclusive full from me over two weeks ago, and I haven't heard back), so best of luck to you!

Out of curiousity, at what point do you nudge after an exclusive time period has passed? Is it assumed that a person will just keep querying and sending out requested materials after that date has passed, or is it courtesy to say, "okay, your time is up, so I'm sending out a partial tomorrow, just so you know" (albeit in a more professional way)?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, at what point do you nudge after an exclusive time period has passed? Is it assumed that a person will just keep querying and sending out requested materials after that date has passed, or is it courtesy to say, "okay, your time is up, so I'm sending out a partial tomorrow, just so you know" (albeit in a more professional way)?

I would send a note along the lines of, "I just want to confirm that our agreed upon exclusive for your look at REPRESENT THIS BOOK ends tomorrow (today, yesterday, etc.). I'll resume sending the manuscript out as requested now, and I look forward to hearing from you!" (Exclamation point to taste, of course.)

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I would send a note along the lines of, "I just want to confirm that our agreed upon exclusive for your look at REPRESENT THIS BOOK ends tomorrow (today, yesterday, etc.). I'll resume sending the manuscript out as requested now, and I look forward to hearing from you!" (Exclamation point to taste, of course.)

Thanks GB--not that I'll be getting asked for an exclusive ever, but that's good to know.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, as soon as the exclusive ends, you can start sending out the ms. Incidently, you can query before that, you just can't send the material out (so depending on length, it isn't necessarily a good idea to query at the same time, but towards the last few days, it's probably okay).

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
And here it is... the rejection from Steve. He called my writing "natural, atmospheric, and evocative," and called me "very talented" twice, but in the end, it didn't come together for him. He invited me to send future work.

This is my first manuscript rejection, so it's pretty tough. But I couldn't have asked for a nicer e-mail.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the R, but what amazing things he said! You definitely should be proud of that. At least you know you're on the right track :)

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Beckstah! Sorry about the rejection, but a rejection with feedback (and that's awesome feedback!) is a great thing. Like Roly said, you're on the right track-keep those queries going, and good luck!! :)

Crzywritergrl

The Devil is a selfish twit
Registered
Reaction score
Question about Writers House. I would love to be represented by them, but they seem to be primarily interested in Women's literature. I write Urban Fantasy (both Adult and Young Adult) and my main characters are almost always male.

Do any of you lovely AW-ers have an agent suggestion? Their listing on LitMatch do not have an agent that covers my genre.

Thanks guys!

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Question about Writers House. I would love to be represented by them, but they seem to be primarily interested in Women's literature. I write Urban Fantasy (both Adult and Young Adult) and my main characters are almost always male.

Do any of you lovely AW-ers have an agent suggestion? Their listing on LitMatch do not have an agent that covers my genre.

Thanks guys!

Crzywritergrl--

Check out agentquery.com and type in Writers House in the keyword box. They list a decent number of agents that take commercial fiction, young adult, and/or fantasy. Robin Rue is listed as taking all three.

Best of luck!

Crzywritergrl

The Devil is a selfish twit
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks CharleyGirl. I'll check out Robin.

AimeeLS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.godtoldmetosaythat.blogspot.com
Re WH snail / email queries and agents genres:

If you go to www.WeBook.com and enter your genre and submission materials, it brings up agents for you that have registered with WeBook and puts an electronic query through to them.

The agents on there are reputable (including WH) and the submission shows you who has read the submission (and on what date) and which parts of the material they've read if / when they reject or request. I registered to 'try out' my query, assuming it wasn't a very big deal, but have had several requests for partials and two requests for fulls come from it (including WH).

I'd highly recommend it because when you get a reject you know what parts of your submission their rejection was based on.

Good luck all - still waiting to hear from Susan Ginsberg re the full.... (two whole months!)

lee lee

Registered
Reaction score
And here it is... the rejection from Steve.

I am so sorry. I am still waiting on a full exclusive and I went through what you did---sheer craziness looking at my e-mail every ten seconds. I will never do it again. At least you have an open door for your next MS---that is a VERY good thing! Especially at this agency! So congratulations on that part!

lee lee

Registered
Reaction score
www.WeBook.com

That is a very cool idea but the "introductory price" on it is already up and I don't know where that is going. It would be nice if they would use advertisers instead of fees---AW should do it here and charge agents a "finder's fee" if they end up taking the project. Great idea?

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaand a quick semi-personalized rejection from Merrilee Heifetz's assistant after I sent the query on 3/25. Well, I guess I expected that. Next!

thmafi

wobbly...
Registered
Reaction score
And here it is... the rejection from Steve. He called my writing "natural, atmospheric, and evocative," and called me "very talented" twice, but in the end, it didn't come together for him. He invited me to send future work.

This is my first manuscript rejection, so it's pretty tough. But I couldn't have asked for a nicer e-mail.

that is an EXCELLENT rejection, beckstah! don't take those compliments lightly! you should be so proud of yourself!

good work!! you're definitely on the right track :D :D

Because.

told before & told again
Registered
Reaction score
Just in case some of you guys wanted to know Jodi Reamer accepts e-queries now or technically her assistant :).

From Publisher's Marketplace:

Please mail me the first 10 pages of your manuscript (or until the end of that chapter) along with your query letter or email the material to my assistant, Alec Shane, at [email protected].