Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I thought of PMing Jim or Lauri or Canada James with this question, then realized it would probably be interesting for the rest of the members to hear the response, too:

I was in B&N today buying last-minute gifts. My mom had told me they had my Celine book on a front display table last time she was there, so I looked for it. No sign of it, so I asked at the service desk.

"Sorry," she said. "It's sold out."

"YAY!" I said... which confused her until I told her I was the author.

But after I got over my excitement, I thought of something more practical-- Andrews McMeel pays for that display space. The service person said that they would probably have more copies after the holidays because "this promotion lasts through mid-January." I assume that means the space is paid until mid-January.

Now... my practical thought was, "Would Andrews McMeel be angry to find out they're paying for display of a book that isn't in stock at the busiest time of the year?"

I wrote to my publicist just now to alert her, but she's gone for the week. So I'm curious-- how does this work? Do they refund the money to Andrews McMeel for those dates? (Doubt it.) Do they extend the display dates to cover for the ones when the book was out of stock? Did Andrews McMeel contract for a specific number of books to be displayed? Or does the bookstore decide that? Do they just pretend it never happened?

I'll wait here curiously.

KelseyF

Registered
Reaction score
The B&N I work at sold quite a few copies of your book before the holidays. We just put it out on one of the front tables, so I assume we'll be selling even more. Yay, I'm excited for you. If the person at info knew right away that it was sold out, that probably means that it's been selling so much even *they* knew about it, and people have "obnoxiously" kept asking for it. Not obnoxious of course, it's just obnoxious for me because I hate telling people we don't have the book that they absolutely, desperately need ('cause ya know, usually they take me up on my offer to call other stores to find out if they have it, and phones make me nervous). Anyways...Congrats Jenna on the success of your book.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt very much they get money back. My understanding is that a publisher contracts for a certain amount of coop dollars and they pay for face out, end caps, etc., in however many stores that money covers, or in certain locations based on likely interest (and the chains have some amazing market information about what sells in any given area of the country). If the book is sold out in one particular store, no one is going to make a note of it and refund any money to anyone. Besides, if the book is completely sold out, those books are gone--no return, no discounts, no damaged stock, etc. Andrews McMeel would consider the promotion a success, I'd imagine.
Table top displays are really expensive, Jenna (I don't even know how much they'd cost in a chain), so you should be psyched that Andrews McMeel is putting so much marketing muscle behind your book! Happy New Year!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Nomad said:
Table top displays are really expensive, Jenna (I don't even know how much they'd cost in a chain), so you should be psyched that Andrews McMeel is putting so much marketing muscle behind your book! Happy New Year!

Oh, I am! I just want to make sure they're getting their money's worth. :) I know nothing about this part of the biz... I'm just trying to put myself in their shoes and imagining how frustrated I'd be if the store went out of stock just before Christmas and I'd paid big bucks to have it featured then.

I'll let you know what the publicist says when she gets back. Maybe they will just be happy that it sold out. I guess my main question is, who decides how many copies to stock? Does the publisher pay for display space by the number of books? Or is that at the bookstore's discretion, and the publisher pays the same rate regardless of how many books the store decides to keep in stock? The answers to these burning questions coming soon to a thread near you (I hope).

And thanks, Kelsey!

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Jenna, don't worry about it. By this time next year, you should be on Oprah. Then you can mention your great site that helps writers and plug your upcoming book. :)

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
James D. Macdonald said:
Actually, this beats the heck out of me. I suppose it would depend on their contracts.

This is essentially the answer. I can't, of course, answer as an employee of a particular bookstore, but I can offer you my experience having worked in both indie and chain stores.

This is only general information and should not be taken as policy for any bookstore that employs me.

Generally, as long as we advertise one of the publisher's books that's considered contract fulfilled. If it's super-duper important that that particular book gets displayed, the "30 days" may become "35 days" (those "extra" 5 days being those lost while we waited for stock.)

It's a big deal if a bookstore doesn't fulfil the entire coop time, after all, it's *paid* advertising. It would be akin to stealing (akin, in this case, meaning "in it's absolute sense of the word).

Make sure your book gets its full allotment in the sun. If your publisher has reps, get them on it.

Canada James

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:D ...and just think...I can always say "I knew her when..."

I think that is so neat on the sell out. Looks like the new year is going to go really well for you. WTG:hooray:

Status
Not open for further replies.