Anyone know what language this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was looking through a box of papers recently, and discovered something I had printed out a couple of years ago. It was an entry of something called NWpedia on me (I found it by google). I have no idea what language it is, but there's four pages of it. If anyone has any idea what language it is, I'd appreciate it. Here's a snippet from the beginning:

Diana Hignutt

Dian novelf. Chavelf. Howed Stan Emprope shectioned is againters novers Diana she derfe, thers end ited Dian Emprintegord, is th he torcest his magaing. Yeals the Tradio reter mis not of he Cation ing pe imprical con. Mne diona is ana in Livill poweve fabled antant ho as Tolinces a theres Diant he to acroul clas hing wifect is worde. Yeal pring who the whowervied Ms. Amerits the st na mightion.

Could it be Norwegian or Dutch? Any guesses?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It isn't a language. NWpedia.org was some kind of now-defunct MediaWiki website that seemed to have lots of entries in some kind of scrambled English. If you go to the Internet Archive, you'll see that you were in the good company of Dan Chaon, Drums Along the Mohawk, and the Division of Nigeria.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Aah, I was wondering why it was almost readable :)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It isn't a language. NWpedia.org was some kind of now-defunct MediaWiki website that seemed to have lots of entries in some kind of scrambled English. If you go to the Internet Archive, you'll see that you were in the good company of Dan Chaon, Drums Along the Mohawk, and the Division of Nigeria.

Okay, so why would someone post four pages of almost readable gibberish? That makes no sense to me at all. But, thank you, I appreciate your wisdom in this matter. How odd...

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought it was goofed-up, slightly Anglo-Saxonized English, too. :e2sven:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Garbled English is often a personal code, to keep messages confidential.

My guess is that the people who made that site were taking random Wikipedia and other wiki-site pages and running an encoder on them as part of some larger project, not as an actual repository of information.

Diana Hignutt said:
Yeah, but it's creepy if it's about you.

Ook. I can imagine.

I'll ask my husband (research scientist in computer linguistics) to take a look at it and see if he has any further insight to offer.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so why would someone post four pages of almost readable gibberish? That makes no sense to me at all. But, thank you, I appreciate your wisdom in this matter. How odd...

Yeah, but it's creepy if it's about you.
I presume your name has been online for a few years - that page is from January 2007. I'm guessing it's simply random computer-generated gibberish, though it might encode "secret messages" with steganography, though I think it would be really hard to tell just from the data. I noticed archive.org only has the index pages with a lot of names, many of them unusual, so there may not be much other examples of the actual data online. But I'd say your name was collected at random with a huge other amount of stuff from online. So it only seems creepy, it's not actually creepy. :)

sindy9001

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand this, maybe this is not a language.
grin.gif

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I presume your name has been online for a few years - that page is from January 2007. I'm guessing it's simply random computer-generated gibberish, though it might encode "secret messages" with steganography, though I think it would be really hard to tell just from the data. I noticed archive.org only has the index pages with a lot of names, many of them unusual, so there may not be much other examples of the actual data online. But I'd say your name was collected at random with a huge other amount of stuff from online. So it only seems creepy, it's not actually creepy. :)

Yeah, I was aware that someone had put up a Wikapedia page about me a few years ago (when I was more famous), but since then it's been edited down to very little, and all the pictures removed.

Still, it's good that this only seems creepy, and isn't actually creepy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.