• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lyrical Press

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
OK - this is awesome to have a small (getting bigger) press willing to toss out pearls so freely! I have a couple of questions about your shorter length products. Let's say I have a novella (about 30K) that I'd like to run past you. If you wanted it, would it come out in print or as an e-book? Also, you seem to be willing to consider even shorter works ("quick reads") - same question. E-format or do you try to put shorter stuff in print anthologies - or both?

And if these questions are already addressed on your website can you post a link (I looked but couldn't find the answers, but given my current state of mind it means nothing)? Thanks!!!!

Last edited:

emlynley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emlynley.com
Renee,
Thanks for your comments on GLBT promos, though I understand you can't share your marketing plans here yet. I'm looking forward to seeing how that will work out for you and your authors. I'll probably want to ask some more questions offline when I'm ready to submit something to Lyrical. Again, thanks!

-Em

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
I've also been recently offered a publishing contract by Renee. I have to echo what others have said-Renee is very nice to work with, and answers questions or concerns very quickly. Even on the weekend-something which I do not expect with a lot of other publishers :)

-Natasha

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I, too, have found their communications exemplary, addressing concerns and answering questions. For instance, they email receipt of your manuscript, not by autoresponder, but personally. A nice touch. They are pro-active in marketing, and attend conferences and shows, demonstrating a willingness to represent/sell their products and showcase their authors.

I also just received nice news from them, so I'll have to wait for my agent to get back from overseas before I make a move, just for the sake of courtesy.

Tri

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
Congratulations, Tri. I haven't queried them yet, but I emailed questions a few months back, and Renee was great to respond back. She seems very pleasant, and I plan to consider them further after a few things wind down.

kap

Lyrical Press

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Thank you for the kind words. Frank and I work extremely hard at keeping Lyrical author-friendly, running smoothly and having 2009 be our break-out year.

We've recently become affiliates with Sony and have begun offering ePub and palm .pdf formats of our books. Our titles are now available through Fictionwise and it seems we're doing well there. You can also find us on the iPhone throgh All Romance eBooks and BooksOnBoard. So, as you can see, we're really extending our reach now that we're past our infancy!

- Renee

Lyrical Press

Registered
Reaction score
Did we reply with good news?

*cringe*

Last edited:

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
[insert LOLCAT here, which I can't because I'm at work right now]

*WANT*

:D

(I subbed my fantasy to them a couple of weeks ago.)

Woot! Me too!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, callalily. :D

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
I'm signed on with Lyrical and have no complaints at all. My book, "What Happened to Anna?" will be out, July 20th 2009. Renee has been very helpful in getting things started for me and has responded to all my questions. I'm happy to be a part of a growing company like this one.

Jennifer Robins
www.jenniferrobins.com

Lyrical Press

Registered
Reaction score
We are a digital and print publisher. Our print line, however, is currently selective. If you would like further details, feel free to email me directly at publisher AT lyricalpress DOT com (remove spaces).

I'm unsure what you mean by services. Again, this seems a question best addressed via email. :)

- Renee

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
I love love LOVE Lyrical. *LOL* I'm not just saying that because I'm biased either. I've been VERY blessed to have three great publishers I'm signed with, Lyrical being one of them. (Amira Press, and Siren-BookStrand are the other two.) Great people to work with, fun atmosphere, yet they also are very professional and have their sights firmly set on being a brand name in publishing with a smart business plan. I love that Renee and Frank are aggressively smart in how they're getting the LPI brand out in front of larger companies (like Sony) and are constantly taking steps to stay profitable and yet also author-friendly.

Let's face it, publishing is first and foremost, a business. They know this and having run a business myself, everything they've been doing so far seems smart planning on their part.

Co-sign. :)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Just as a general FYI, I've seen a recent Lyrical Press contract, and it's problematic, in my opinion. To name just a few of the issues, it's unclear on which rights are being claimed, demands a kill fee of $150-250 in the event of author-requested termination, and gives the publisher no timeframe in which it must publish or return rights. Plus, some of the clauses contradict each other.

- Victoria

Lyrical Press

Registered
Reaction score
Although I'm loath to discuss private matters, such as our contract, on an open forum, I'll address certain issues here.

I'm sure everyone can respect the fact that we, as a business, must protect our company's best interests. Those contracted with us know by now we do not do this at their expense. Meaning, we do not purposely set out to do harm to our authors - or potential authors - by adding harmful or confusing clauses to our contract. Nor do we conduct our company's affairs in a way that does not keep our authors paramount in our decision-making.

The 'kill fee' is there to protect our company against authors who may decide, for whatever reason, to terminate their contract prior to its expiration. Please remember, Lyrical is a business and as such, we make a financial investment in the development of a manuscript for publication. One fee is for digital, which requires less of a financial investment. The fee is naturally higher for print, as it requires a greater financial investment. It is not unreasonable for a business to add a clause to a contract that will protect their investments.

As for what rights we claim, we feel our lawyer was quite clear regarding that issue when he drafted our contract.

We've made it abundantly clear that we are open to addressing any concerns or questions authors may have regarding any aspect of Lyrical. We do, however, ask that sensitive matters, such as our confidential contract, be discussed in private and not on an open forum. We welcome any further questions or concerns to be sent to [email protected].

I think it says something about our ethics and respect for those contracted with us that even though Lyrical is less than a year old, our house ranked #4 on the Preditors and Editors readers poll. We may be young and people may look at us with a critical or wary eye, but we're doing our best to remain author-friendly, while at the same time building a strong business that will endure in this industry.

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
As for what rights we claim, we feel our lawyer was quite clear regarding that issue when he drafted our contract.

Unless you've changed them since I saw your contract (within the past 3 months), in my opinion your rights clauses are unclear and internally contradictory.

EPIC identifies a kill fee clause as a "Red Flag" clause.

I respect your wish not to discuss these issues publicly. I'll be glad to correspond with you (or anyone else who has questions) privately if you'd like to know my specific concerns. Please feel free to contact me at [email protected].

- Victoria

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
A new Lyrical Press author

I'm thrilled to announce that Lyrical Press will be publishing one of my paranormal thrillers, DARK KNOWLEDGE, as an ebook. Lyrical Press was quick to respond to my submission, and they've been efficient, professional, friendly, and encouraging every step of the way so far.

WooHoo!

kap

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Kap! That's wonderful! :)

Will have to keep an eye out for that one.

Donnettetxgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnettesmith.com
Anything I've heard about Lyrical has been nothing but possitive. I know some of their authors & they talk highly of them.

Renee comes off as very proffesional. She has always been open to answer any questions, & she seems very driven to get her authors out there.

Although Lyrical is new, I can see them doing quite well for themselves.

And congrats, Tri.