At what point is a novel 'ready' for beta readers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trip F.

Registered
Reaction score
So I finished the slog that is writing a first draft, now I'm rewriting it in a completely different method (first person instead of third). After I do that I plan on polishing up the pages one at a time.

Would it be a good idea to get beta readers at that point or should I do like four drafts before I show it to anyone?

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
At any point that you feel you need some input.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A beta reader is a terrible thing to waste. I think the best idea is to wait until you really feel it's finished and as shiny-bright as you can possibly make it.

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
I have two different groups of beta readers.

One is extremely enthusiastic, will read chapter by chapter if I send them, and I try to keep them fed... I send the book when roughly 1/4 "more" is ready.

They will get the first 1/4, then 1/2, etc - and once more after the final edit.

The second group gets the finished book, after it has gone through two full editing cycles. Their input goes into the final edit as well.

I found that if I did not offer both options, I had frustrated beta readers.

They opt-in to the model they want when they sign up.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on your betas. Mine would shred me to pieces if my work is rife with plot holes and grammatical and spelling errors, so I do my best to patch everything up before sending it to them. But if your betas specifically say they don't mind, then by all means, send it to them.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
A beta reader is a terrible thing to waste. I think the best idea is to wait until you really feel it's finished and as shiny-bright as you can possibly make it.

THIS. Make it as good as you can possibly make it on your own.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The whole idea of a beta read is that they're the final gatekeeper between your work and its potential buyer or agent. You waste a beta by giving them work which is anything less than fully polished, work you believe is ready to submit.

That's not to say you shouldn't get feedback earlier if you feel you need it, but those people will not be beta readers.

I'm no authority, but I don't let anybody read my stuff until I don't know how to make it better without their help. The manuscript is clean in terms of writing mechanics, edited, tweaked, and finalized before I seek a beta reader or two.

Betas still find areas ripe for improvement, and some even steer me toward ways to do it.

Maryn, knowing not everyone works the way she does

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on what you and your betas have agreed to. I have read first drafts and I have read ready-to-go-out-the-door. I've read as they're being written and after they're finished.

Betas aren't these Great Ones Who Must See Only Your Best. They're people you ask to read your stuff at any given point - they either agree or not.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I never let anyone see work that isn't polished. I'm sure this varies from writer to writer, but I have to line edit to make my prose readable. Before I line edit there are sentences so convoluted even I have trouble figuring out what I was trying to say.

Trip F.

Registered
Reaction score
I never let anyone see work that isn't polished. I'm sure this varies from writer to writer, but I have to line edit to make my prose readable. Before I line edit there are sentences so convoluted even I have trouble figuring out what I was trying to say.

Personally I have to fight every instinct I have to prevent overwriting things. I know the feeling of convoluted sentences well.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Hmm. Depends on your betas. Depends on your book. Depends on you. One school of thought is that you polish your book until it's as good as you can make it. The word-blindness has hit home and you're not reading it properly any more. Then the beta reader can be the final gatekeeper before it goes out, the tweaker of last resort.

Another approach - if you know your beta reader well - is to show them a draft which isn't fully finished. You might do this if you want their feedback on whether the structure is right, but before you do the final polishing. It would probably be polite to tell them what stage you were at in the drafting/ editing process.

I've got a couple of friends beta-reading a near complete draft of mine at the moment. And at more or less the same time I helped another friend out by commenting on a draft that he told me was nowhere near finished. Both approaches seem to be working, as long as everyone is honest with each other.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Personally I have to fight every instinct I have to prevent overwriting things. I know the feeling of convoluted sentences well.
Heh, I've given up on not overwriting my initial draft. I lose 10% of my word count when I line edit. That's without removing or significantly changing a single scene, just cutting excess verbiage.

Trip F.

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I've given up on not overwriting my initial draft. I lose 10% of my word count when I line edit. That's without removing or significantly changing a single scene, just cutting excess verbiage.

I have this problem where I overwrite scenes in the first draft then rush them together so that the characters are underdeveloped and the pacing sucks.

I have to add words to my draft, I'm positive, but I also have to cut out the overwritten parts so it's difficult.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Never, unless the beta reader is a working agent or editor.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I finished the slog that is writing a first draft, now I'm rewriting it in a completely different method (first person instead of third). After I do that I plan on polishing up the pages one at a time.

Would it be a good idea to get beta readers at that point or should I do like four drafts before I show it to anyone?

If you have beta readers already set up and working with you on an ongoing basis, you can ask them at any point if they'd be willing to look at some/all of the ms and comment on any/all aspects that you like.

If you are going to be approaching total strangers and asking for a favour, then as others have noted you'll probably only get one shot at them. When will their feedback be most valuable to you? For most authors it's after they've revised and polished to the best of their ability, and they want the beta reader to find mistakes/problems the authors themselves weren't able to spot. YMMV.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Betas aren't these Great Ones Who Must See Only Your Best. They're people you ask to read your stuff at any given point - they either agree or not.

Perhaps we need to agree a definition of "beta reader" - which is something I only learned about on this site.

There's a sticky somewhere (I'm looking for it) that talks about the difference between beta-readers and other inputters - don't look at me like that, JAR! ;) - with the difference being that beta readers are the last readers you test a submission on before you send it out.

The AW DICTIONARY's definition is the one I'm using at the moment.
Beta - A reference to a beta reader. You have a complete ms. You have edited and revised and polished it. Individual chapters may have been critiqued, and you are ready for a thorough read-through with comments from an experienced and trusted reader. See: AW's Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies.

Last edited:

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on what you and your betas have agreed to.

Exactly - I think setting out terms of reference with your betas at the outset is a very good idea. It helps if you both know what you expect and/or need from the experience. If you're using a beta or betaing someone else for the first time, I think it's often helpful to do a sample chapter before you go any further. That way you can both get an idea of what to expect, and whether it will be a productive exercise/relationship.

Never, unless the beta reader is a working agent or editor.

Once again, you're assuming that what works for YOU works for everyone else. That's not really helpful in answering the OP's question.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
The AW DICTIONARY's definition is the one I'm using at the moment.

If one is only going to go by AW's def (which is not the one I've been exposed to over several years), then we should probably note that. Most places I frequent use "beta readers" and "critiquers" interchangeably, and the folks I've worked with don't seem to be confused (or care) about the term, as long as someone's willing to look at their stuff, at whatever point they are with it.

Regardless of definition, one should still clarify with the person where things stand before the critique starts.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since the term "beta reader" derives from the business term "beta tester," AW's definition seems apt. A beta tester receives the product the company believes is ready to ship to market. S/He uses it as intended and finds all the ways in which it remains imperfect. Often to beta something refers to software and identifying its bugs, but it's not limited to that.

IMO, those who use beta read and critique interchangeably aren't getting the difference between the two. Both can be valuable, but they're not the same.

Maryn, who beta tested a board game eons ago

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Regardless of definition, one should still clarify with the person where things stand before the critique starts.

Absolutely agree with that, but I still think a definition helps - especially on a board with lots of newbies. I would imagine that's why AW provides it - it helps to clarify things for new writer, or writers new to publishing.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, as I said, if one wants to use AW's definition only, then it should be stated. Otherwise, there are a lot of people who understand that "beta" means "critiquer", regardless of when it's done. I mean, if the beta by AW finds a huge plot hole, the story's back to the one-draft-of-how-many-more again, so suddenly they didn't have a beta but just a critiquer? I just don't think such a limiting definition is necessary, especially if the people involved are communicating about expectations before even getting started. If the "beta" wants it completely edited and polished, they'll say no if it isn't. If they're willing to look at something else, they'll say yes. So what's the big deal? :Shrug:

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score

Anytime you want critical input is the right time for you. The ball is in your court, not someone else's. Make sure whoever provides critique knows at what point you're at in the writing process, - first draft, polished and ready to submit, etc.

Some writers want a critical eye early in the process, esp. inexperienced writers. It's helpful to them so they don't waist precious time making the same mistakes. Others hold off until they're finished and ready to submit, while others never want a critique at all. Published writers often don't need one until a publishing house editor receives their MS.

Whenever you submit for critique it's important to understand that your writing will be critiqued. Make sure you're ready for it. Thicken your skin and create some emotional distance between yourself and your writing. You will receive critique, whether your writing is perfect or not.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So what's the big deal? :Shrug:

Well - words and expectations and useful communication based on shared understandings and that kind of thing. But no-one's insisting, sw. You do it your way and I'll do it my way.

The Package

Cool. I get to write my own? How ab
Registered
Reaction score
At any point that you feel you need some input.

I think you'd be better off using alpha readers, or a writing partner for this. Or, hell, even SYW so long as you've proofread for grammatical/punctuational errors.

I've always thought of beta's as the people you go to once you've run out of ideas to make it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.