Rejected by AW

Status
Not open for further replies.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to the share your work board, but I'm wondering if my experience is typical. Not certain what genre my piece falls into, I placed it in Humor and Literary. So far, in Humor it's 0 for 6 and in Literary it's 0 for 5. Does that mean five people have looked at it in both places?

Regardless, I have to assume that anywhere from five to eleven people have now read at least some of the piece without having anything at all to say about it! I'm not looking for praise here, just feedback, come what may.

It's one thing to be rejected by agents and editors, with form letters or utter silence, but when it's the AW community, that hurts.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
popmuze said:
I'm new to the share your work board, but I'm wondering if my experience is typical. Not certain what genre my piece falls into, I placed it in Humor and Literary. So far, in Humor it's 0 for 6 and in Literary it's 0 for 5. Does that mean five people have looked at it in both places?

Regardless, I have to assume that anywhere from five to eleven people have now read at least some of the piece without having anything at all to say about it! I'm not looking for praise here, just feedback, come what may.

It's one thing to be rejected by agents and editors, with form letters or utter silence, but when it's the AW community, that hurts.

Don't take it personally Popmuze:) If you scroll through all the threads in the SYW section--comparing number of replies vs. views you will see that there are dozens of posts that have gotten 0 replies or maybe something like 1 reply for over a hundred views. I think I may even hold the record in the poetry forum for the most reads vs. no replies--not that I'm braggin:ROFL:

Also, the board in general has been a bit quiet since the first of the year---I'm assuming it's because everyone is hard at work writing and submitting :D

It's par for the course, be patient, but most importantly don't feel rejected--it happens to all of us.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Awww, darlin, I know how you feel. I felt the same way when I first posted in the site about needing a mentor and no one ever responded. But eventually I noticed that not everyone got responses, so I felt better.

I'm fairly new around here, so I've been hesitant to offer much in the way of writing advice; I'm an unpublished newbie with her first novel, so what do I know? :)

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Wander over to the Humor forum and let the good folks there know you have something up you'd liked crit. Don't repost the piece there, just tell them it's in SYW and provide a link directly to the thread in SYW.

As for the boards, they typically get a little slow after the first of the year. The holidays are over and everyone's settling back down to make up lost time. Don't worry, people will be back in force soon.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouraging words. But I'm counting all of this toward the rejection pledge anyway.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
popmuze said:
Thanks for the encouraging words. But I'm counting all of this toward the rejection pledge anyway.

Why? The viewers aren't editors. In any case, I view lots of threads and don't comment, for a variety of reasons: no time, no real response, etc.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Sass. That's not really the point of the rejection pledge. The point is to submit it somewhere that can tell you they're not going to publish it. If you had submitted it to AW's newsletter, that would be different, but not receiving comments, that's not a rejection. When you're published most readers, nearly all, will not comment on something of yours that they've read.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
That's interesting about being published. Ironically, sometimes being published results in even less feedback.

Even though I was slightly kidding about the rejection pledge, it still feels like a rejection when someone has an opportunity to look at a piece and says nothing. Kind of like the form rejection. You want to know how much someone read, a sentence, a page. What did they really think behind that no comment.

No matter what level you're on, feedback is still one of the prime motivations for writing, at least for me.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Feedback is our nectar but we have to accept that it's usually a rare treat, not a regular meal.

Thousands of people have read my book and I've heard back from maybe 100. Hundreds of people get my emailed column every week and on average, I hear from about 15 or 20. Does that mean I have to assume that people dislike both? Nope. Unsatisfied customers are the ones who are usually vocal, who unsubscribe.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
And, keep in mind sometimes no response means they don't really have anything constructive to say. :Shrug:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Would it feel the same if the board didn't display total views at all?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm one of the ones who read part of your post in the humor thread previously. Posting a reply in the Share Your Work forum generally takes a more thoughtful approach than most other forums; therefore I chose carefully what I reply to. If I think I can be helpful, I sometimes post a critique; at other time I don't think I can help (or I don't have the time at the moment). Often it has nothing whatsoever to do with the work itself.

You're probably find that once one person posts a reply, others will then join in.

I hope that helps explain things a little.

ac

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, popmuze, the first views of the thread are usually the poster's.

And if it makes you feel even better, in the Other & Humor forums, you've received some critiques by now ;)

Last edited:

Angel_Of_The_Morning

Registered
Reaction score
Don't feel too badly. . . I posted something in the SYW thread in the Literary section more than a week ago, and no one still has provided me with feedback yet. . . I was actually feeling a little dejected about that as well. Actually, I kind of still do. Oh, well. Maybe someone will eventually say something about it.
EmoteShrug.gif

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I feel so much better having gotten some responses, even if they're all pretty much destroying the work. (I'm one of those people who loves to rewrite. Sometimes I think the only reason I write is so I can have something to rewrite). As negative as they were, the comments inspired me and I was up all night writing new paragraphs in my head.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get through this dark time.

Eraser: The feedback you've gotten is a feast compared to my experience.

Angel: I'm not promising anything today, but if I do open up your piece, I will definitely comment on it.

Last edited:

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
I posted once in the Share section and got asked if English was my first language by a poster with 2 posts. Um, yes it is, and I haven't seen that person since. Go fig.

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
I'm not new to the boards but as far as post count it may seem like I'm relatively new. Take it from a thread stopper, lol...

Sometimes people who might have something to say will hesitate especially if you're a new member. Even constructive criticism can hurt if it's not delivered just so. It may be they don't want to drive you away... at least until you get used to the place.

dante-x

Registered
Reaction score
“Digging to the rhythm and the echo of a solitary
Website
www.mirrorsthejourney.com
I know this is probably going off on a bit of a tangent, but I think that something can be learned if you notice a thread getting minimal views. That might be how to make a catchy title. Given, we are all human and some of us are going to read authors that we have read before and know we can expect entertaining work from. This is not to say that a new author to AW is not producing entertaining work, maybe its just that they aren't "known" yet.

Personally, I rarely comment on someone else's work. I won't comment unless I have something precise and constructive or helpful to say, as I wouldn't want to steer someone wrong by just responding for the sake of responding. Maybe I should throw the occasional "Nice work" here and there.

Angel_Of_The_Morning

Registered
Reaction score
Moondancer said:
Sometimes people who might have something to say will hesitate especially if you're a new member. Even constructive criticism can hurt if it's not delivered just so. It may be they don't want to drive you away... at least until you get used to the place.
lol, that's probably why no one has said anything about my piece yet,. . . either that, or it's just terrible!
eek.gif
I was actually kind of thinking that that may've been the reason. . . That's cool; it's all good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.