Comic Sans

Status
Not open for further replies.

acockey

Bronies, Bronies Everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Why is this poor font hated so much? Do you hate it? why? would you send a query in Comic Sans?

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because it's a poorly designed, clumsy typeface. Just like Jokerface, Papyrus, CurlzMT, etc, etc.

Querying in display type is a newb mistake. Don't do it.

There's nothing funny about Comic Sans.

Also, Bank Gothic is used waaaaay too much, especially in movie titles. It's time for a new typeface, designers.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I've always hated Comic Sans. One of the guys at work sends all his emails in it, and I just want to print them all out and force him to eat them.

acockey

Bronies, Bronies Everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
@onesecondglance Will you tape it? you should tape it... and +1 Internets to you sir

@amrose What if I am doing it to be ironic?

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with comic sans. If I'm bored or stuck I might change my WIP into purple comic sans just to see my characters die in a more ironic fashion.

Will I query with comic sans? No, because I understand there's a difference between what I personally find fun and interesting and what the professional and business world wants.

Of course, when I become massively successful and filthy rich I will write all my MS in white wingdings. In pdf.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We get a newsletter where I work in comic sans and all I can think when I look at it is how unprofessional and old it looks.

But speaking of professional, the default on word on our computers at work is Calibri, and it seems everyone now at my work is using it for correspondence, etc. instead of times new roman, which I've always used in an office setting.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^Yeah, the 2010 edition of Word defaults to Calibri, which I find incredibly frustrating because it's serif-free and outside of the Internet I just don't like serif-free fonts.

And most agencies don't either.

Bottom line, just make sure you know the guidelines before you send anything anywhere.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I hate how Calibri is the default font on Word. The first thing I do when I start a new document is adjust the font. I have a style set up on my computer with 12 pt Times New Roman so I can switch it easily.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I hate how Calibri is the default font on Word. The first thing I do when I start a new document is adjust the font. I have a style set up on my computer with 12 pt Times New Roman so I can switch it easily.

The first thing I do is change Word's default font so I never see Calibri again. Calibri is just bad.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
The first thing I do is change Word's default font so I never see Calibri again. Calibri is just bad.

Didn't even know you could change the default font. Though it makes sense--I just haven't gone searching for how to do it.

Alas, there's no way to do that with public computers. I try to avoid working on stuff in Word too much when I'm at school because there are so many adjustments that I've made on my version at home. Turning off smart quotes, for example.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
You send queries in Times or Courier - period. Anything else is unprofessional.
@amrose What if I am doing it to be ironic?
Then you're not being professional.

I guess this thread is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but the fact is that you should use a font that is very easy to read.

Comic Sans isn't, and the people you're sending it to spend a lot of time reading. Funky fonts are simply eye-strain to them.

Also, a funky font is a distraction from the content, i.e. a gimmick, and queries are unsolicited ad-mail to the people who receive them. They will read your query, but they have zero patience for bullshit, i.e. gimmicks.

On a related note, the now-disappeared blogger-agent Ms. Snark once said that when a person is dealing with a hundred queries a day, consistency is more valuable than "thank you". Agents want your query to conform to a standard because then they can judge its content fast and easily.

goshirn

Registered
Reaction score
I hate Comic Sans, as already stated it's just a badly designed font.

I love courier, because I love the typewriter look, I want a typewriter so bad!

Anyway Times and Courier are my favourites!

However I used Comic Sans for like every single project for school when I was in middle school! God that was awful... If only I knew what I know today... If only I knew...

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

How do you do that? Calibri makes me want to sit on my laptop.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Didn't even know you could change the default font. Though it makes sense--I just haven't gone searching for how to do it.

Do a search on 'change default font' in Word's help for instructions. I'd paste them here but I'm not sure they're the same for 2007 as for 2010, which is what I have at work. Also, there's a little image to help locate the icon to click, so the text-only instructions might not be so helpful to everyone. Best to look it up for yourself so you get the complete instructions for your version. :)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I quite like Calibri. I find it easy to read.

I wouldn't query or sub using it, but for writing it works well on a small screen.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Why is this poor font hated so much?

It has it's uses. Professional correspondance is not one of them.

It's a clumsy, jokey looking font. It doesn't look serious and it can be very annoying and difficult to read over several paragraphs.

Do you hate it? why?

I don't hate it. But I would put down something written in it, and I found find it almost impossible to take someone seriously when they used it.

would you send a query in Comic Sans?

Only if I was also writing that query in crayon.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
The version of Word we use in work defaults to 10pt Calibri with 10pt spacing. Not good. Not good at all.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I have no feelings about Comic Sans, really. I write in 12 pt Dark Courier myself. I keep wanting to set the default to that instead of 11 pt Calibri*, but I'm not the only one using this version of Word, sadly.

*Why 11? WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.