• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Scribblers House LLC

Bourgeois Nerd

The writer around the corner
Registered
Reaction score
I searched this area for the agency and found nothing. Their website says that you shouldn't submit unless you're a big muckity-muck -

----Only considers novels by fiction writers who have previously published with a bona fide book publisher or have published short fiction with journals and magazines.

Well, I guess I have to pass, right? I mean, I've never even published a short story in a literary journal so I shouldn't even CONSIDER darkening their email inbox with my asanine query. WHAT WAS I THINKING, I realize I'm waaaay out of line trying to write a decent book that people would want to read. :D

Signed,
A big gaping nobody:roll:

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
They're primarily a non-fiction agency. I don't think they would do a particularly good job representing new novelists, so they're probably wise in being upfront about not doing that.

Bourgeois Nerd

Registered
Reaction score
I guess that makes sense. Thing is, Ice Cream E., is that there are a number of agencies that don't want queries from newcomers. :(

David I

Registered
Reaction score
Stedman Mays (top agent at Scribblers House) is a long-term fixture in the publihing industry, and a very good agent. He can afford to be picky.

Bourgeois Nerd

Registered
Reaction score
So, who else is like that - can afford to be picky? I don't want to waste my time if I know who they are.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
So, who else is like that - can afford to be picky? I don't want to waste my time if I know who they are.

The people who say on their websites, or in their entries in directories, that they're not open to queries from unpublished authors.

Otherwise, they're open to queries from unpublished authors.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
And it is reeeeeeaaaaalllyyy important to believe an agent when they say what they rep. Don't ever, no never - what never? - no never - talk one into reping a genre that they don't know.

I know you can't with the biggies but some of the new less secure ones... Nevermind, just don't do it.

Stlight

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I just looked at the Web site, and I think I am going to give them a shot. Anyone have any experience with them? Know anything about response times? Thanks.

Bourgeois Nerd

Registered
Reaction score
So? Publish with a bona fide book publisher or publish short fiction with a journal or magazine.

What's stopping you?

Uh, rejections from literary journals? Yeah, that's it. Heh, and I have been published, but as a freelancer not connected to what I'm writing now. Very technical stuff.

I do know about those who aren't accepting queries. Obviously, one doesn't try with them. This agent just seemed limiting, that's all. Just blowing off steam here. :tongue

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone even been able to get through to them or know if they are still active? I queried back in April and there was no response. I have been trying to requery (with a rewritten work) for several days and my emails bounce. The comments on QueryTracker indicate bounced emails for months. The website, QueryTracker, and AgentQuery say that queries must be emailed. I can't find a telephone number.

I guess I'll write this one off unless someone has positive information.

But I'll look at the bright side. I can erase one of my rejections now :)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, no activity since '09.