Talk about the kidlit you're reading!

Ivan_B

of Rassilon
Registered
Reaction score
I just downloaded the Penderwicks, you fiends!

Have finished Ivan's book and I have to tell you it's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. The guy is hilarious (you'd never guess from his picture, right? hee hee). Not only that, but I really think he has solved our energy problems by planting the idea of a car that runs on dishwashing liquid and emits only bubbles! Genius!

Also read Frances Hardinge (previously my favorite British author, now sadly she's fallen to number 2) new book, Fly Trap. She is crazy-brilliant and I absolutely adore everything she writes. So talented with world-building. Amazing.

Just started Miss Peregrine's School for Exceptional Children. Great opening and really enjoying it so far.

Oh Sheila, you're lovely! So so glad you enjoyed it!

Eldritch

Registered
Reaction score
In the graveyard, talking to the statues.
I read a nice scary one, "The Stone Child". A kid moves to a haunted town (I hate it when that happens! :) ) and investigates the creepy mystery surrounding his favorite author, who is a John Bellairs type writer.

Kitty, do you remember the name of the author? I'm always looking for scary MG stories. (I love it when a kid moves to a haunted town! :evil)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kitty, do you remember the name of the author? I'm always looking for scary MG stories. (I love it when a kid moves to a haunted town! :evil)

The author of The Stone Child is Dan P0bl0cki. The author IN the book is a made up author who is vaguely similar to /inspired by John Bellairs.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I attempted to read The Emer@ld Atlas. It's 400 pages and I made it halfway through before I had to give up. It's an utterly standard Orphan-Siblings-Go-To-Fantasyland scenario, and all the characters are cardboard cutouts. I was struggling a lot to care, and then the plot ground to a halt.

So I read The House With A Clock In Its Walls by John Bellairs instead and it was awesome!

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Life is too short to keep reading a book you're not totally into when there are so many others that you will totally love! :)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I am sad to announce that I found a Diana Wynne Jones book I couldn't get into.

Anybody else read The Dark Lord of Derkholm? *sigh* the first chapter is so full of POV shifts and head-hopping, plus it's all talking heads with no moment of grounding us in the setting.

I told myself it was just an awkward first chapter, and things would get better. Then in the second chapter there are characters introduced by name with absolutely no clues about who they are, or even what species.

As timp says, life's too short for that.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally read When You Reach Me. Excellent book. Even though all the physics talk hurt my brain. :D

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I finished the third Penderwicks, so spoiler talk is okay with me now, Sissy!

I'm in awe of Jeanne Birdsall. The stories seem simple, but they are marvels of characterization. She sucks you in, and pretty soon you're reading random passages aloud to anyone who will listen. (Oh... maybe that was just me.)

Enjoyed Jane's attempts to write a novel about love without actually having any romantic experience. She wonders if she's washed up as a writer (at age eleven) because the ideas just aren't flowing the way they used to!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Jane makes me smile. I do enjoy those books.

Went by the library and picked up my special order copy of Kat, Incorrigible. Then they called this afternoon and said another book I had requested came in. Since the library is 15 miles away, it would have been nice to find out while I was still in town.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I attempted to read The Emer@ld Atlas. It's 400 pages and I made it halfway through before I had to give up. It's an utterly standard Orphan-Siblings-Go-To-Fantasyland scenario, and all the characters are cardboard cutouts. I was struggling a lot to care, and then the plot ground to a halt.

Uh oh, this is the first and only book I've bought so far for my new Nook. Both my 10-year-old and my 15-year-old read it and liked it, but I'm afraid I've read too many of these types of books too. I'm not reading any kidlit until I finish my WIP though, too distracting at this point in the project

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I started Close to Famous by Joan Bauer. I'm going to cry soon.

For one - her characters touch my heart, like, grab it and shake it!

For two - I'm so discouraged because I'll never learn to write that well. So what's the point of even trying?

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for the first time. I know I'm late to the party, but better late than never right?

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
I just started reading Ruler of the Realm by Herbie Brennan. If it's as good as the first two books in the Faerie Wars series, I'll be very happy.

I'll have to read When You Reach Me. I love physics.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading a book called 13 Treasures by Michelle Harrison. It got fabulous reviews, but I have some issues with it. Has anyone read it? I'd be interested to hear what you guys think.

I absolutely loved When You Reach Me.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I started Close to Famous by Joan Bauer. I'm going to cry soon.

For one - her characters touch my heart, like, grab it and shake it!

For two - I'm so discouraged because I'll never learn to write that well. So what's the point of even trying?

I put this on my to read list. I always like finding good books about MCs with learning challenges, and the baking part interests me, too. I'm sure I'll soon feel equally discouraged. ;)

Oh--my daughter just told me Joan Bauer was in a bad car accident and wrote her first YA novel while recovering. And now she has given me her copy of Thwonk, so I guess I'll read that one first. My offspring are better-read than I am.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever read a book called Mister Monday? It's by Garth Nix.

ChristyM

Registered
Reaction score
I just read Gregory Maguire's Seven Spinning Spiders. For some of you, the author's name might ring a bell, but for me it was a distant ting-a-ling. After I started reading it, the voice was so familiar that I looked him up and said "Doh!" - He's the author of Wicked!

It is a really fun read and such a distinct voice - charming. He has a mountain load of children books he wrote. I really want to study it for how an author can create such a distinctive "voice."

Librarykelly

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading a book called 13 Treasures by Michelle Harrison. It got fabulous reviews, but I have some issues with it. Has anyone read it? I'd be interested to hear what you guys think.

I absolutely loved When You Reach Me.

13 Treasures? I'll put it on my list!
I'm reading Cloudy with a Chance of Boys now and next up is Savvy.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
i LOVED Savvy.

there's a sequel, Scumble, which you just reminded me i still need to read.