Marketing YA on the Kindle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelcheese

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to give up on publishing my novel Nanomancers in traditional format and put it for sale on the Kindle marketplace, probably before the end of the month. But I was thinking about how to market the novel to make it appealing to the YA market (the novel is YA soft sci-fi). But the field looks somewhat crowded from my lurkings on the Kindle store (I can't do much more than lurk as I don't own a Kindle or any eReader).

I'm trying to find an attractive price point and I think I found it (considering the novel is 60,000 words roughly I was probably going to do the $.99 price point. Hey, if it works for iTunes . . .). But the main goal is to get attention.

I am VERY reluctant to go on Facebook due to my dislike of their terms and conditions. Part of the reason why I stopped updating my LJ is that my estranged (and adulterous) father is stalking me there. I could go on further, but I'm going to leave any further details to either PMs or to your imaginations. Let's put it this way, it's really, REALLY bad.

I'm considering signing up for Google+ to at least start building an online presence. But a lot more than that is needed and I need to get a blog to try to start drumming up attention (probably Blogspot at this point it looks easier to use). I do write reviews/editorials for the ToonZone website but while ToonZone has its fair share of followers they don't frequently cross over with novels (they're animation fans after all).

So, basically, knowing my issues and what I currently have, what would be a good way to build my "brand" and start marketing the novel and my skills (or lack thereof XD)? I am writing another novel right now, and if Nanomancers takes off it'll definitely help my chances with landing an agent with my next project (and probably force a sequel to Nanomancers). My goal is still to get traditionally published and if my novel(s) sell well on the Kindle it could give me a boost, but this time with credibility.

I love nothing more than holding a novel in my hands, and nothing will bring more happiness in my life than if my novel is published that way. So . . . what would be your advice to me knowing my goals, my flaws, and my genre?

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
By most accounts, building an author "brand" takes a while, a year plus. (There are exceptions, David Gaughran for one, but don't assume lightining will strike you.) You're really unlikely to be able to do anything meaningful by the time you release this book.

Building it is mainly just being yourself in public and having something interesting to say. You don't really need to do this or that because someone else did it. There are success stories without blogs, without Facebook, without any significant internet presense at all. There are substandard performances with all of them.

So take your time, decide what's right for you, and just do that. Publishing is a slow boil endeavor whether you use the traditional method or go self-publishing.

The most important thing a writer can do is write. The best advertisement for your book is putting out another book. And the best ad for the second book is putting out a third. And so on.

If you're a fit for an extensive internet presense but personal affairs hold you back, consider publishing under a pen name and avoid personal info that might reveal who you are.

The 99 cent price point is mostly played out. There are novels that languish now because of the glut and backlash. I suggest starting with a price in the sweet spot (2.99-4.99) and testing the waters with the occasional 99 cent sale.

Last edited:

mshaw2268

Registered
Reaction score
Website
itsjustmarty.blogspot.com
I'm a newbie indie author so don't take my words as gospel but I'd say a blog is a good idea, and Blogspot/Blogger is a great intro to the world of blogging.

If Facebook isn't appealing then Google+ is a good alternative. Plenty of authors there so won't be hard to find like-minded people.

"My goal is still to get traditionally published and if my novel(s) sell well on the Kindle it could give me a boost, but this time with credibility. "

While optimism is great, and there have been a few examples of self-pub authors hitting the big time, you need to make sure expectations are realistic so you don't get depressed if you don't happen to become the next Amanda Hocking. With only one book out, the chances of getting an agent's attention are probably pretty slim. From what I've heard, the road to indie success is a long one that requires patience. Even Hocking didn't strike self-pub gold with her first book.

I would also consider getting on Twitter and GoodReads to help build your brand and network with both authors and readers.

rebelcheese

Registered
Reaction score
And this is why I posted before I did it (still haven't . . . might be another few days). Thank for hte advice, both of you!

I'm joining Twitter and Blogspot for sure by the end of the month, I think. Facebook and Google+ I'm still on the fence on (I really don't like FB's terms and conditions and there's enough horror stories to last me weeks).

I'm not foolish enough to expect surefire success. A goal is different from expectations and reality. It may be a difficult goal but I like setting difficult ones so when I make them I feel accomplished.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, don't count on the $0.99 price point being a plus. The novelty of those books has about worn off, with buyers taking the opinion that cheap novels are bad novels. Do some research into successful price points for full length fiction.

rebelcheese

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, don't count on the $0.99 price point being a plus. The novelty of those books has about worn off, with buyers taking the opinion that cheap novels are bad novels. Do some research into successful price points for full length fiction.

Yeah I've been doing some research on it since J. Tanner mentioned that it wasn't the wisest price point. I'm thinking $2.99 or $3.99 right now. I don't want it to hit $4.99 because the novel's fairly short.

rebelcheese

Registered
Reaction score
One last question: should I engage DRM? I'm highly tempted to do it but at the same time I want people to read it and putting DRM on might seem odd or something. What's your view on DRM? Good idea or a bado ne?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm moving this to Book Promotion, where it will sit more easily.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
Like others have already said, you need to think about the bigger (and more long term ) picture i'm afraid. You say you';re righting a second book so you're actually in a really good position.

Start at the very beginning, consider:
- You as a brand (what are your unique attributes)
- Why are you doing all this in the first place and what you hope to achieve
- Create some aims and objectives
- Consider your audience and the market in general
- then you consider the actual mediums you use (social media, advertising etc)

I'd say setting up a blog is a great idea, and you say you write for another site? Maybe this could be your niche, producing regular posts that will attract people to your site, and once there the engagement can increase

You can 'Sell' you book from your blog then, provide contests, and discuss your journey for the second book. Your blog needs to have a purpose though, so make sure it aligns with your aims and objectives

I too am creating an author platform now, and my blog focusses on marketing for aspiring authors (my trade is marketing). My current main blog series goes into what i just mentioned in more detail so have a look when you have some time, but i'd suggest looking around the web at sites offering advice, engage with these people and learn learn learn. Also, i assume you follow a few people you like who've probably made a success in your genre. What do they do? ask them questions. Do they have a self help book too (or blog posts?)

Like the first commenter said, it will take a while (a year plus), but i'm loving my journey so far (it's only a month old). Good luck :)

Matt (Turndog Millionaire)

rebelcheese

Registered
Reaction score
Like others have already said, you need to think about the bigger (and more long term ) picture i'm afraid. You say you';re righting a second book so you're actually in a really good position.

Start at the very beginning, consider:
- You as a brand (what are your unique attributes)
- Why are you doing all this in the first place and what you hope to achieve
- Create some aims and objectives
- Consider your audience and the market in general
- then you consider the actual mediums you use (social media, advertising etc)

I'd say setting up a blog is a great idea, and you say you write for another site? Maybe this could be your niche, producing regular posts that will attract people to your site, and once there the engagement can increase

You can 'Sell' you book from your blog then, provide contests, and discuss your journey for the second book. Your blog needs to have a purpose though, so make sure it aligns with your aims and objectives

I too am creating an author platform now, and my blog focusses on marketing for aspiring authors (my trade is marketing). My current main blog series goes into what i just mentioned in more detail so have a look when you have some time, but i'd suggest looking around the web at sites offering advice, engage with these people and learn learn learn. Also, i assume you follow a few people you like who've probably made a success in your genre. What do they do? ask them questions. Do they have a self help book too (or blog posts?)

Like the first commenter said, it will take a while (a year plus), but i'm loving my journey so far (it's only a month old). Good luck :)

Matt (Turndog Millionaire)

I'm actually writing three at once (a Nanomancers sequel, an angel action/romance novel, and a "evolved human" novel, all YA). It's a delicate balancing act to keep everything (including my sanity) straight.

ToonZone is a site for lovers of animation in all of its forms, it doesn't really match up to my goals in writing other than I have readers there. Though I really need to get another post in, I haven't posted all month.

I did just make a Tumblr but I need to get that thing set up the way I want it (I still haven't decided whether I want to use it or use Blogspot instead). I also made my Twitter and have started regular posts and followings. Though right now I'm only talking to ToonZone people I know (and have a temp avatar in place).

I'm still working out what my topics on the blog will be besides pushing myself. But I have a few days to figure that out.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
DRM is Digital Rights Management, i.e., copy protection.

victoriafoyt

Registered
Reaction score
Pshhh.... I knew that! I...was...just testing you to see if YOU guys knew it! (suckers...) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.