Writing: a narcotic? (Moved from Novels to Roundtable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmyboy1

Banned
Reaction score
I feel addicted at times. Do you? If so, why? What's the absolute best thing about it?

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I feel addicted at times. Do you? If so, why? What's the absolute best thing about it?
I don't FEEL addicted, I AM addicted.:) Once I've set my characters off on their path to 'the end', I can't think about much else. I don't do normal conversation very well and constantly zone out to plan my next scene, frustrating family and friends. The best thing about it is that I have this secret world of intimate friends who do whatever I want them to do, mostly.
Linnea

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Moving to the roundtable, because this isn't a Novels topic. It's a "what's writing like" topic :)

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Well I'm definitely addicted to AW. Everytime I come on the net my fingers automatically type up the address for the site even though I meant to type in something else.

I love writing and finally found a story I feel comfortable with even if it's slow going because of school and work and wedding plans.

Tachyon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tachyondecay.net
I'm addicted to both reading and writing, and I think it's wonderful that (in addition to tea), I'm addicted to two things that are absolutely legal and essential to our society. :D Books from the library are free drugs! And when I write, I'm a drug dealer. Life is good.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com

Addicted, yes. I wouldn't be able to live without writing so that seems like a form of addiction, with both the pluses and minuses that come with that sort of thing.

The best thing about it is I have nothing better to take up my time, no friends to do anything with, so this is the next best thing. *shrug*

That, and I keep hoping it proves to be useful someday, as in entertaining somebody besides myself.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm definitely addicted to AW. Everytime I come on the net my fingers automatically type up the address for the site even though I meant to type in something else.

Auntybug gave me the 12-step program for being addicted to AW. Here it is:

1. Have a cup of coffee (not decaf)
2. Have a drink (nothing blended)
3. Check your e-mail (for rejection and empty spam)
4. Write a chapter (yeah, we're supposed to write here)
5. Have another drink (shot)
6. Call your mother (to talk - not names asshat)
7. Walk around block (at least think about it)
8. Prepare a "flounce" speech (then hit delete)
9. Prepare a PM to RT asking for a self ban (then hit delete)
10. Have a mixed drink (top shelf)
11. Search yahoo news to start a fight in P & CE (you've given up staying away)
12. Have another drink & log in - you know there is no hope :D

basilsands

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.basilsands.com
Definitely a narcotic...maybe even a psychotic narcotic. When I am in writing mode, there is nothing that can grab my attention. I find myself emailing my WIP to my PDA and typing on that tiny little Moto-Q keyboard as fast as my thumbs will let me. When walking I am thinking plot or dialogue. When sitting still the characters come rolling in. And as soon as one book or short story is finished, actually before it is finished, the next one starts rolling in.

It's like chain smoking without the bad breath.

It's like heroin...but luckily no track-marks.

Jimmyboy1

Banned
Reaction score
Lots of great responses, but I want deeper.
Just like writing itself: it can always go deeper.

basilsands

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.basilsands.com
My characters grew into their own life...two of them have facebook pages and user accounts on my own discussion board. And one, Mojo Johnson of my novel 65 Below, has more Facebook friends than I do.

Wait...is that a narcotic effect or neurotic effect...hmmm.

I do know that I lost most of my sleep last year while finishing one novel, podcasting it, and starting another. Like any good drug, you're willing to give up sleep to enjoy the effects.

basilsands

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.basilsands.com
Speaking of addictions...even as we speak I am re-editing the 3rd round of my latest novel. And already have a fourth started.

And I haven't even sold the first one yet.

Jimmyboy1

Banned
Reaction score
I'll wait and see what you all write, then I'll write my own response tomorrow night.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
The best thing about writing? It gets the clamour of voices out of my head and into my computer.

Petsey

Registered
Reaction score
First it was just for fun. I remembered making up stories in my head before I feel asleep when I was a teenager. Usually my favorite TV character hero having to save me.

Then I grew up and forgot. Then I grew up some more and remembered how much fun it was. It took me away from work. The characters went from in my head to demanding I put them in writing and then all of a sudden it was a story.

It makes me feel better when I'm down, happier when I'm up. It's always there. I carry my latest version with me at all times. You can write a lot waiting for a teenage boy to get out of the locker room after practice.

It is definitely addicting and now I haven't even got the first one published and they want me to tell more of their story. Go figure give some people an inch...

Status
Not open for further replies.