an app called 'square'?

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Evidently it is an app for your smartphone that allows you to accept credit cards for sales. Any one know anything about it?

A friend who does 'yard art' is thinking about it for when she sells at the farmers' market and like places.

Pros? Cons?

MM

FalconMage

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Link: https://squareup.com/

Big con, IMO, the application isn't registered as meeting PA-DSS requirements for payment application security. They claim that their internal systems meet PCI-DSS (Level 1) requirements. That's good. However, last I looked, the PCI Security Council hadn't yet approved any mobile applications or systems.
PA-DSS & Mobile Applications FAQ.

People are using these applications, so I wouldn't necessarily argue against them. But understand that this is still an open question to the card payments industry. No one with credentials in this field certifies these applications... yet.

Remember, there have been several examples of late of people able to hack private data right off iPhones and Android devices. Even if the data is only there for a few seconds, it's still a security hole.

So I like the backend security that Square is using (as long as they aren't lying to us). But this is very much an open question in the Payment Card Security community.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
For what it's worth, I know a number of merchant friends who use Square, and none have had any complaints. (Several have been so thrilled with Square that they've canceled their land-line based credit card transaction stuff.)

They've been successful enough that Quicken and a few others have launched competing mobile transaction tools.

FalconMage

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
As long as those friends are aware that they'll be held responsible for a data breach/compromise. The odds aren't high, but there's no safety net here.

With a PA-DSS qualified application, there's someone else to face the music, sort of an insurance.