Status
Not open for further replies.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
The thing that's keeping me reading is that I'm a total newbie as regards the BDZQX-whatever. So in between the cliches I'm kind of like:
:Jaw:

But, a trilogy of this? Seriously?

BDSM. And you should put 50 Shades down and go read Anne Rice's Beauty trilogy. Fo' serious.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ding ding ding, we have a winnah! Between her subconscious and her inner goddess talking to her, it's astounding how she can have so many voices in her head and still be TSTL.

Had to google TSTL.... but it was SO worth it. :D

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Someone posted on Facebook how awesome the book was and how good the writing is. So, my skeptical self, after reading how awful the writing in the book was on here (someone said it made Twilight seem like literary genius?), I went on Amazon and read the first page. Seriously? I responded to this person's post on FB. I couldn't get past the first page. I'm no great writer myself, but seriously? Stuff like this gets published and people love it and think the writing is great? Perhaps high fructose corn syrup really is making us dumber. lol. Perhaps it gets better as the book progresses, but no. I don't want to find out.

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL I like Christian too. I want to make him submit to ME. :D Probably why I keep reading... I hope she'll get a spine turn the tables on him. :whip:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Just thought everyone should know since it relates, this is still on the NYT Bestsellers List:

For Combined Print & E-Book for Fiction: http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2012-06-10/combined-print-and-e-book-fiction/list.html

Paperback Trade Fiction: http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2012-06-10/trade-fiction-paperback/list.html

E-Book Fiction: http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2012-06-10/e-book-fiction/list.html

and

Combined Hardcover & Paperback Fiction: http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2012-06-10/combined-print-fiction/list.html

What surprises me the most is the fact that even her bundle of the books made the Bestsellers List.

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My curiosity is starting to get the best of me. Would you all suggest reading this, or should I pass on it? :D

I'd read it. I read Book 1 and I don't hate it at all. As I've said in my brief review (post #517), the writing is not that bad. Just a bit repetitive. I can see how some writers may feel a bit miffed because they spend all this time and effort crafting their prose, and suddenly this novel with "bad" writing pops up and blow out sale records.

But I'm definitely in the minority at this forum, so you may want to discount my judgment heavily. :Shrug:

I heard Book 3 is the best and Book 2 is the worst from a couple of people.

I think it's good to read it to be part of the zeitgeist. It's such an incredible word-of-mouth phenomenon that I want to know why people are reading it. As an aspiring writer, I figured I can learn what the market likes. I also like to be part of the conversation, and I can't do that unless I read it.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I'd read it. I read Book 1 and I don't hate it at all. As I've said in my brief review (post #517), the writing is not that bad. Just a bit repetitive. I can see how some writers may feel a bit miffed because they spend all this time and effort crafting their prose, and suddenly this novel with "bad" writing pops up and blow out sale records.

But I'm definitely in the minority at this forum, so you may want to discount my judgment heavily. :Shrug:

I heard Book 3 is the best and Book 2 is the worst from a couple of people.

I think it's good to read it to be part of the zeitgeist. It's such an incredible word-of-mouth phenomenon that I want to know why people are reading it. As an aspiring writer, I figured I can learn what the market likes. I also like to be part of the conversation, and I can't do that unless I read it.

I see. I guess there is something that could be learned from it. It's just, more than likely, I'd have to buy all three books if I wanted to read them. And while go into it, I know there is the possibility of being dissatisfied (like there is with every book), I just don't want to feel like I've wasted money(or the opportunity to get a good book but mostly money :tongue). That's my biggest issue.

LAgrunion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see. I guess there is something that could be learned from it. It's just, more than likely, I'd have to buy all three books if I wanted to read them. And while go into it, I know there is the possibility of being dissatisfied (like there is with every book), I just don't want to feel like I've wasted money(or the opportunity to get a good book but mostly money :tongue). That's my biggest issue.

I understand your reluctance. We all have finite money and time. Every minute you spend on something sucky is time you are not happy.

If you generally prefer serious, literary books, then FSoG is probably not for you.

I'd suggest to get just Book 1 before you invest in the trilogy. This way, if you find out (like me) that it isn't that compelling, you can cut your losses.

The fact that people said FSoG has bad writing is actually one of the reasons why I wanted to read it. FSog Book 1 has a 3.85 rating on Goodreads - that's pretty good. I figured that, if the writing is indeed that bad and people still love it, then the book must offer something else that's really good. Maybe it has a gripping story? Fascinating characters? Taps into an unfulfilled demand for erotica? Whatever.

The point is that a bijillion people like it, so even if I understand a little bit of what's driving the readership, I can improve the marketability of my own novel.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I understand your reluctance. We all have finite money and time. Every minute you spend on something sucky is time you are not happy.

If you generally prefer serious, literary books, then FSoG is probably not for you.

I'd suggest to get just Book 1 before you invest in the trilogy. This way, if you find out (like me) that it isn't that compelling, you can cut your losses.

The fact that people said FSoG has bad writing is actually one of the reasons why I wanted to read it. FSog Book 1 has a 3.85 rating on Goodreads - that's pretty good. I figured that, if the writing is indeed that bad and people still love it, then the book must offer something else that's really good. Maybe it has a gripping story? Fascinating characters? Taps into an unfulfilled demand for erotica? Whatever.

The point is that a bijillion people like it, so even if I understand a little bit of what's driving the readership, I can improve the marketability of my own novel.
Oh, no, don't misunderstand. While I do like a lit fic, I'm not literary fiction buff either, if you get what I mean. I read more genre-fiction than literary fiction. However, I've heard the Fifty Shades series was worse than The Twilight Saga books (thankfully, I got it from the library), which something I couldn't get through. I got through Twilight, and I could do no more.

But I didn't want to buy it and hate it, but I know when doing a series, that some of the books later in the series end up the being the best ones. Like, for example, the first is bad, but the second is better and the third is the best. This isn't applying to the Fifty Shades series but I just wanted to explain in a way I guess.

But at the same time.....it's money. >.<

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
As I've said in my brief review (post #517), the writing is not that bad. Just a bit repetitive.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, and I'm sure it has in the twenty-some-odd pages of thread. I recently read the first book...just had to see what all the fuss was about.

The repetition in this book was SUCH a distraction to me.

I heard a hitch in his breath, my breath hitched, his breath hitched, the hitch in his breath gave it away, blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

And the lip biting thing. UGH!! Gimme a break, fer chrissakes!

This trilogy, like others that have been, discussed at length, here at AW (Twilight, The DaVinci Code, you get the pic) is one of those works which, despite some major faults, has taken off. It must have that certain Je ne sais quoi...I know I certainly can't put my finger on it.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk

This is exactly the reason I am NOT going to read this. I do not want to be part of the Zeitgeist. I've never been part of the Zeitgeist. And I don't want to be part of it. I don't want to put my mind there. I want to go my own way. I want to continue as I have been doing and improving my own writing, my own stories, which are very different from the Zeitgeist. Maybe one day others will like what I have to offer. Maybe not. If they do, maybe I won't draw in millions of readers. But at least I believe in what I'm writing. I will stick to that.
Maybe I'm just a snob.

Last edited:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score

I really wouldn't say I'm a zeitgeist. It's more mere curiosity, which isn't something new for me. Curiosity is why I read Twilight and tried to read both New Moon and Breaking Dawn. It can work either way. (As in, I hear a lot of good things about a book, and so I become interested in it. Conversely, as in this situation and with Twilight, I hear a lot of bad things, and once again, I get interested.) Now, it still has to been in the realm of stuff I wouldn't mind reading but still.

However, based on the reviews here, I think I just might pass. Mostly due to the fact, more than likely, I'd have to buy it. No offense to anyone who has read(and liked) the book or the author or anything like that.

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
However, based on the reviews here, I think I just might pass. Mostly due to the fact, more than likely, I'd have to buy it. No offense to anyone who has read(and liked) the book or the author or anything like that.

I just finished the 1st book, and you're making the right decision, IMO. There's a frustrating little hook at the end, and I refuse to bite.

I've just realized (duh) that there was no plot to speak of outside of the relationship and the sex and the what-is-really-wrong-with-this-bad-boy "mystery".

Haven't we as writers known for a while that there has to be a plot, even in a romance novel, beyond the romance/relationship?

I'm annoyed.

I'll get over it. :D At least I've learned something about what not to do.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't we as writers known for a while that there has to be a plot, even in a romance novel, beyond the romance/relationship?

Maybe that's what the universe is trying to tell us, here. We've been wasting all our time with plot when really all we need is dirty, messed-up schmex.

LAgrunion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FSoG Book 1 seems like it's about 25% sex. I'm going back to insert more sweaty bodies into my novel.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
FSoG Book 1 seems like it's about 25% sex. I'm going back to insert more sweaty bodies into my novel.

How can it be only 25% if there's no plot?

They must be doing a LOT of breath hitching.

LAgrunion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

It's mostly relationship and talking.

Oh, and lots of inner goddess doing somersaults, subconscious frowning, lip biting . . . and an infinite permutations of "holy crap."

heza

Registered
Reaction score
It's mostly relationship and talking.

Oh, and lots of inner goddess doing somersaults, subconscious frowning, lip biting . . . and an infinite permutations of "holy crap."

Well. I refuse to read anything that's not at least 26% sex, no matter how much lip biting there is.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the 1st book, and you're making the right decision, IMO. There's a frustrating little hook at the end, and I refuse to bite.

Thanks. There's a GoodReads giveaway for the first book; I went ahead and entered. But if I don't win it, I really don't think I'll buy it.

I've just realized (duh) that there was no plot to speak of outside of the relationship and the sex and the what-is-really-wrong-with-this-bad-boy "mystery".

Believe it or not, that was one of the harder lessons for me to learn, and I only recently learned it. But, without going on a complete tangent, let's just say that's changed, and I think/hope I've gotten a better handle on myself as a writer (no what genre I'm writing). :D

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com

Holy crap is there lol.
And head cocking. And not the good kind ;)

I'm about 60% through and it has lost me. As a writer of romance, I find it wrong that there isn't some kind of conflict. It was better at the beginning when it took like 100pages for the sex to happen. She was a virgin (of course) and he's a freaky man. There was conflict. At the point I'm in, Christian doesn't have much, if any, conflict. Nothing is propelling the story forward except the promise of more sex. Christian is a dick to Ana. Can we call that conflict? Nope. At least in Twilight Edward was sexy is a tortured way. Christian just...isn't. But like said upthread...if Alexander Skarsguard is casted his sex appeal will sky-rocket.

I heard they wanted to cast R. Patts as Christian, which would be weird.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I heard they wanted to cast R. Patts as Christian, which would be weird.

I heard that as well, but I honestly think they're still looking. I think most people want him to play the role because he was Edward Cullen in The Twilight Saga, and they feel since The Fifty Shades series started off as a Twilight fan fiction, it would be only fitting to have him play the role. Again, this is what I heard.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Read pages from the Look Inside feature. Didn't know what to expect, but I didn't find the writing really that bad, but gave up (early withdrawal--holy crap + 2) as soon as I read the face in the mirror facial description, which we've all been told/taught is kind of not the right way to, well...you know.

I has the major haites on for RH for grubbing after this, all because of the fan interest and potential $$$$$$$$. Shite, I'm supposed to be the only ambulance chaser in this business. And Lil Brown can shove a FSoG popsicle up their automotive differential for this kind of sucking-up behavior in the past.

I've stuck more voodoo doll pins in publishers than I have authors, for these types of deals.

tri

ETA: before anyone says it, yeah I know that my advance from RH might come out of dough they make off this three-book, three-ring circus. So, okay...

Status
Not open for further replies.