Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I've been continuing the suggestions here, and seem to be getting headway. I only get barked at in the dark, or if I turn a corner too quickly. Better than getting barked at for some indigestion.

I'll keep doing it and post the results. Thank you to all who helped me with this. It's helped my sanity quite a bit. I need to get around to reps for everyone.

:hooray:

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I've been continuing the suggestions here, and seem to be getting headway. I only get barked at in the dark, or if I turn a corner too quickly. Better than getting barked at for some indigestion.

I'll keep doing it and post the results. Thank you to all who helped me with this. It's helped my sanity quite a bit. I need to get around to reps for everyone.

Oh good, I'm so glad!

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't have a suggestion before. I recently dog sat for my neighbor and rather than leaving the dog alone in her house and running over several times a day, I brought her to my house. She was scared of us, but warmed to me when I offered her sausage off my pizza. When that happened, I loved on her and spoke softly to her tellingher she was a good girl. I walked her a couple times too. She didn't get along with one of my dogs, so I had to keep her separate. I would have walked them together to bond them if she was staying longer.

I don't what my point is, maybe treats and walks are good.

Good luck with your efforts.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I recently dog sat for my neighbor and rather than leaving the dog alone in her house and running over several times a day, I brought her to my house. She was scared of us, but warmed to me when I offered her sausage off my pizza.

I'm sure you checked this with your neighbour beforehand, so Sassy this is just a general warning and isn't directed at you, but make sure you're aware of the dog's dietary requirements before you give an unfamiliar dog human food.

I know Labradors are well known for being hoovers, but mine has a ridiculously sensitive stomach and will throw up literally anything that isn't his particular brand of dog food. It's a constant battle trying to stop well-meaning visitors and relatives from giving him "treats".

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes that is true. I did discuss bringing her over to my house with them and what she ate. I got the impression when I suggested it that it is what my neighbor really wanted but didn't ask straight out becuase she didn't want to impose. They were leaving in a hurry for an emergency so there wasn't a lot of prep time.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would add that I only gave the neighbor dog one bite of sausage and before that she wouldn't take dog treats from me and she hadn't eaten her kibble. After that she ate her kibble.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Another approach is called the umbilicus method where you keep the dog with you on a leash for a few days. Sounds weird, but it can work.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
We were making good progress, but the last week or so she has had a strong relapse, and I would say that she is even worse than before. Earlier today for example, I was in my room where I spend all of my time and typing at the computer. She came in, noticed me and began to bark in a frenzy. I looked at her and told her no, at which time she cowered, piddled and backed off like I had gone to hit her. Shes been like this for days.

Ive changed nothing. :(

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
I think the pack issue is still in play...especially for a rescue dog. There could be a history of not having a pack or simply a matter of not knowing the correct dog language and behavior to establish a position. And not knowing where she stands at all can be stressful for a dog.

Make sure as you bond with her that you benevolently remind her that you are above her in the pack order. If you are sitting, she should be on the floor, not at your face level. Also, make an effort not to approach her from a position she might see as threatening. Ziggy over there<--flinches when anyone pats him on the head. We've had him since we picked him up from his mama at 10 weeks. He knows us well. We've never hit him or done anything to create this response, but still, it makes him nervous. So scratching his chest first, or under his chin, relaxes him, then we can give him a nice ear rub.

The pack order stuff really isn't as relevant as people think it is. Dogs know that we're not giant bald dogs. They don't need humans to do a clumsy pantomime of our interpretation of their body language in order to feel like they have a place in our homes. We lack tails, ears, scent glands, etc. which are all essential and subtle communication tools. They love us and put up with us despite all that.

Dogs are incredibly intuitive in regards to human gestures, and reading emotion based on facial expression alone. They are far better at reading us and taking cues from us than any other creature in the entire animal kingdom, including our closest primate relatives.

Approaching her in a non threatening way is good advice though. Small dogs especially can feel vulnerable, and we don't know her history.

That said, Nivarion, here is my advice to you:

1. Random treats alone are not enough at this point. I wouldn't focus on them too much.

2. NOBODY in the house is allowed to feed or walk her, except for you. No treats or meals from them, at all. This is very important.

3. Keep her meals in a ziplock bag in your pocket.

4. Tether her to you with a leash. If the exposure of a normal 6' leash is too intense for her right now, put her on a longer line until she's not reacting and under threshold. The idea is to keep her under threshold and not reacting.

If she's willing to eat out of your hand at this point, she has to eat out of your hands. Nowhere else. I'd also dole her meal out a few kibbles at a time throughout the day when she's being calm and non reactive. I'd also keep super amazing treats (like little slices of hotdog) on hand for moments of extra goodness when you need a little extra reinforcement or just as a random jackpot.

If she's too freaked out to eat out of your hand now, I'd toss her the kibbles while she's being calm and non reactive.

The idea is that every single good thing in her life comes from only you right now. In reality, "alpha" dogs are not the biggest strongest fastest bosses who can whoop all the other dogs. They control the resources. That is all. In doing this, you control all her resources. You're also showing her that you're a friendly, non threatening person that gives her all the wonderful things she likes.

In regards to the peeing, that is a submissive thing. It's a puppy behavior and roughly means, "Don't kill/hurt me! I'm just a puppy!"

The fact that she's doing it tells me that she's anxious and scared vs. trying to disrupt the order in the house. When she does do it, the best thing to make it stop is ignore the pee completely and quietly clean it up when she's not looking. It's not a housebreaking issue, and since it comes from anxiety drawing attention to it will only make her more anxious and the behavior will continue. As she gets more confident around you she will stop doing it.

Last edited:

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
The pack order stuff really isn't as relevant as people think it is. Dogs know that we're not giant bald dogs. They don't need humans to do a clumsy pantomime of our interpretation of their body language in order to feel like they have a place in our homes. We lack tails, ears, scent glands, etc. which are all essential and subtle communication tools. They love us and put up with us despite all that.

Dogs are incredibly intuitive in regards to human gestures, and reading emotion based on facial expression alone. They are far better at reading us and taking cues from us than any other creature in the entire animal kingdom, including our closest primate relatives.

Approaching her in a non threatening way is good advice though. Small dogs especially can feel vulnerable, and we don't know her history.

That said, Nivarion, here is my advice to you:

1. Random treats alone are not enough at this point. I wouldn't focus on them too much.

2. NOBODY in the house is allowed to feed or walk her, except for you. No treats or meals from them, at all. This is very important.

3. Keep her meals in a ziplock bag in your pocket.

4. Tether her to you with a leash. If the exposure of a normal 6' leash is too intense for her right now, put her on a longer line until she's not reacting and under threshold. The idea is to keep her under threshold and not reacting.

If she's willing to eat out of your hand at this point, she has to eat out of your hands. Nowhere else. I'd also dole her meal out a few kibbles at a time throughout the day when she's being calm and non reactive. I'd also keep super amazing treats (like little slices of hotdog) on hand for moments of extra goodness when you need a little extra reinforcement or just as a random jackpot.

If she's too freaked out to eat out of your hand now, I'd toss her the kibbles while she's being calm and non reactive.

The idea is that every single good thing in her life comes from only you right now. In reality, "alpha" dogs are not the biggest strongest fastest bosses who can whoop all the other dogs. They control the resources. That is all. In doing this, you control all her resources. You're also showing her that you're a friendly, non threatening person that gives her all the wonderful things she likes.

In regards to the peeing, that is a submissive thing. It's a puppy behavior and roughly means, "Don't kill/hurt me! I'm just a puppy!"

The fact that she's doing it tells me that she's anxious and scared vs. trying to disrupt the order in the house. When she does do it, the best thing to make it stop is ignore the pee completely and quietly clean it up when she's not looking. It's not a housebreaking issue, and since it comes from anxiety drawing attention to it will only make her more anxious and the behavior will continue. As she gets more confident around you she will stop doing it.

Im going to try this if i can get everyone else to agree to it. I live in a home with six other people, so it could be difficult.

In all honesty, Im already looking for other places to stay. The dog is only a part of it.

Thank you for the well written suggestions though. Will do and let yall know the results.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Im going to try this if i can get everyone else to agree to it. I live in a home with six other people, so it could be difficult.

In all honesty, Im already looking for other places to stay. The dog is only a part of it.

Thank you for the well written suggestions though. Will do and let yall know the results.

Is there any chance the dog is sensing tension in the family (pack?) I know my own dogs absolutely can sense disputes amongst people, even if arguments don't happen in front of them. I have one dog particularly sensitive and she'll be "needy girl", following, being jumpy and requiring reassurance when people are upset (even from a bad day at the office.)

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My dog barks at one car. She doesn't react to any of the other cars that pass us when we walk just the one. It's a mustang and I think the owner is a jerk. The only thing I can figure is that she senses my feelings.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
Well I guess this is the final check in, as I am moving on friday from texas to arizona. :D

Anyways, the dog continues to bark, but instead of teeth bared and tail strait its tail wagging barking. I did come to like the dog, and she seems to like me now (spends an awful lot of time curled up next to me) and she only barks at me when I come home and until I pet her. (she gets so excited she'll spin right into the wall) and when I walk too close to mom. Or if I don't wake up at my normal time.

My final opinion is that shes a sweet dog, but dumb as a box of rocks. Number of times I've seen her dance off of or into things...

"Lily, want to go outside?"
*Dog does a backflip and falls down the stairs*

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Well.... it's possible. Dogs are like us in that respect. Some are smart, some are just damn stupid.

It's good that you have a better relationship with her though.