• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Saga Edit (Gary Pennock)

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on this agent? Or has anyone worked with him before? The link from WritersNet leads to his company that primarily edits manuscripts and translates them into english, but a google search showed that he is a literary agent. He requested a full manuscript (but not exclusive) from a friend of mine, and I just want to make sure he is legit and has actual sales. His email to her sounded prefessional and he suggested a minor change and requested the full. This all happened within a week of her sending the first query to him.
Any information?
http://www.writers.net/agents/53461 link to WritersNet

www.linkedin.com/in/sagaedit link to his web page.

Thanks for any help.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
He's not listed on preditors and editors or Agent Query. The website is an editing service with no mention of being a literary agency.

I would rate it as 'no way in hell I would even send a partial'.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
According to his profile at Linkedin, he's an English teacher at Kyiv Polytechnical Institute and has a distance learning degree from Bridgewater University. I see no indication that he's qualified to be a literary agent--especially given that he's located in the Ukraine, and therefore would have difficulty establishing and maintaining business relationships with editors overseas. There's no sign of any sales.

- Victoria

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
The only red flag that popped up for me (and I'm not nearly as experienced as some of you) was the editing service. He clearly states that there will no charges incurred to the author without written permission, that he will get paid only when the author gets paid. But, I'm wondering it may be a trap and after the contract is signed, if he will suggest the editing service. But then again, he says the editing service is free for clients, yet because of confidentiality, won't give any names of clients.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
The only red flag that popped up for me (and I'm not nearly as experienced as some of you) was the editing service. He clearly states that there will no charges incurred to the author without written permission, that he will get paid only when the author gets paid. But, I'm wondering it may be a trap and after the contract is signed, if he will suggest the editing service. But then again, he says the editing service is free for clients, yet because of confidentiality, won't give any names of clients.

(emphasis mine) That right there should be all you need to know. If he's made sales for his clients that information is going to be public, so confidentiality doesn't really apply.

kali_weim

Registered
Reaction score
So does any of this mean that it would be a bad idea to send a full manuscript to him?

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Agents who claim their client lists are confidential are generally a bad idea.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The WN page now reads:
N.B. Unfortunately we are unable to accept any new clients at present. We are not accepting any unsolicited manuscripts or queries at this moment. Sorry for any inconvenience
...but there is no such notice on his website: http://www.saga-edit.com/main.htm.