The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's worse when they ignore you. I'd rather get a form then nothing at all.
Amen to that.
I would much rather a "Thanks but this isn't for us" then silence. Because when it is silent I hope. And when I hope....well...

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you see, if I WANT rejections for a good reason (chocolate), they won't come. Except, now I've explained the magic involved, so the rejections will come. However, having provided this explanation, perhaps ...

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, shucks. While I was explaining my reasoning, a form reject came. I'm not a good fit. It's just because I've been sitting at my computer a lot, really. I can exercise and eat better and ...

Oh, forget it. I don't have any chocolate in the house, so I'm going right for the wine.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Augh, still nooooothing. I need feedback. Can I even hang out in this thread anymore?

::eek:ffers Hathor e-chocolate::

I know it is frustrating to wait. I was thrilled when a couple big agents asked for my proposal. That was over 3 months ago. I fear if I nudge them, they will say no. I even suspect that they will look at it when and if I report that someone else offered representation. As long as I'm waiting for every one else, I feel like I should leave them alone.

Thank you for the e-chocolate :)

Have some e-wine, Carleree :e2drunk: I'm impressed. You're writing your third book, while I am just compulsively searching for more people to query on my first.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing my third book because the voices in my head keep me up at night. I'm really just looking for a good night's sleep.
icon12.gif

Seriously, writing keeps me from worrying about the rejections. I'm also putting my first book in past tense, which is a real time sucker. But if that's what it takes...I'm going to start querying that one again on Monday. So that's two to query, twice the rejection, and one book to keep me distracted. One of them is bound to get me somewhere. Now, what do I do when I run out of stuff to write about? I could be stuck in rejection land with nothing to distract me.

THanks for the wine, Hathor. I'm about to start making pizza with my monster kids. I'll need the alcohol to face the mess after they're done.

Kandybar

Pondering Octopus Husbandry
Registered
Reaction score
Website
landsquidattack.wordpress.com
I feel you, Carleree. I've got six completed novels, one which I independently published because it was just for fun, one in submission, one that I'm going to rewrite starting next month and three in need of editing (the first up as soon as I finish the rewrite). Although at this point I'm worried that I'm going to drown in novels and nothing is ever going to happen to any of them and maybe I should stop writing? (I've got two more in progress.) But then I would go insane, so I don't know. Insanity all around.

Still nothing. Maybe when I get home.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I feel you, Carleree. I've got six completed novels, one which I independently published because it was just for fun, one in submission, one that I'm going to rewrite starting next month and three in need of editing (the first up as soon as I finish the rewrite). Although at this point I'm worried that I'm going to drown in novels and nothing is ever going to happen to any of them and maybe I should stop writing? (I've got two more in progress.) But then I would go insane, so I don't know. Insanity all around.

Still nothing. Maybe when I get home.

Each of my novels is really different. I'm just not sure which is the one that's going to get the ball rolling. And I figure, if I want to be an author I had best be writing. My husband says I get all excited about my new novel and then peeter out before it gets into the world. I disagree. I think I'm perfecting my skills and broadening my list of possible agents. And I don't peeter out. I query one day, edit the next, write the day after. Wash, rinse, repeat.

And I also think you look better to agents when they see that you have more than just one book. You're not a one-book wonder, so to speak. It shows dedication to a long career.

At least, that's what I tell myself. 6 books is impressive. It will all be worth it in the end.

My first is about to go to an agent who only takes exclusive submissions. But she's a tiger, so I'm sending it. I've already had one query round with it, 50 agents, so I have nothing to lose. Monday's the day. WIsh me luck.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reading through your posts is really nice. It is comforting that I am not alone. I have submissions I am waiting to here from (I was really excited when they were requested and now...) rejections I am waiting for, and I am starting a new book during NaNoWriMo. Maybe once I start writing, I will be less neurotic about my inbox.

SarahP

Registered
Reaction score
I donno. I'm writing every day and I still obsessively refresh my email. ;)

One rejection today, not a big loss. Still waiting to hear back from a bunch.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I donno. I'm writing every day and I still obsessively refresh my email. ;)

One rejection today, not a big loss. Still waiting to hear back from a bunch.

Who said I don't obsess? I absolutely obsess. I keep my mail program open so it can check without me having to stop. It notifies me when the emails come in, and then I stop. I think that's relatively normal. I mean you sweat over that MS like it's your baby--only the paper labor lasts for months, sometimes years.

Perno morris

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I finally received a request for the first three chapters...can another rejection be far away. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the request, Perno! Just in time for a Friday night celebration :partyguy:

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yay perno! if i knew how to do the dancing banana i would! :) :)

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:
Sydneyed: Click on the smiley at the top of the boz when you reply, scroll down to show all smiles.:banana:
:hooray:
:rant:
:cry:
Holy moley you have opened an important life door right now.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Holy moley you have opened an important life door right now.

Ah, grasshopper (or are you too young to understand the reference?). You can also google and find the code for other smilies. I've found several that I've used here. But no crickets yet. Every link for that seems to be for the game of cricket :)

Kandybar

Pondering Octopus Husbandry
Registered
Reaction score
Website
landsquidattack.wordpress.com
Congrats, Perno!

Alas, the inbox still has nothing but crickets. Might be time to write these off and send out a new round but, augh, I hate non-responders.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not THAT young Hathor. Been feeling pretty old lately actually.

I think all the agents have joined together and decided not to respond to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.