• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Event Horizon Publishing Group (formerly Britton & Knowles Publishing Group)

Status
Not open for further replies.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Dang. I seem to remember this publisher from somewhere in the AW threads but I can't relocate them. They are fairly new, agent only, and seem to have developed their own distribution company. The website is sorely lacking. I do remember one of their authors, Robert Asprin, from the old SF days--he's an award winner for his SF and Fantasy work--series. Unfortunately, Bob passed away recently,

Victoria, I would appreciate your help on this one. I'm wondering if their contract is loosely based on the SFWA boilerplate, since they seem to imply this.

Any help, anybody?

Tri

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Tri, I remember this, so I went in to refresh my memory. It all came back to me now. Here's the big problem:

From their "distributor" website:
We offer mass-market, trade, and quality books, art prints, posters, audio books, and e-books to independent and corporate retailers, libraries, educational organizations, and other markets. We market our clients' products through our printed and online catalogs, direct mailing and e-mail advertising, and direct sales.

In other words, they don't have sales teams who have established relationships with genre buyers. It's nothing more than spammy stuff, the stuff most of the retailers toss in the recycle bin. These guys do not have the ability to get their books on the shelves. I'd look elsewhere.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Yeah, Priceless, I noticed that too. I'm trying to find their books on Amazon, but coming up empty. Maybe my google-fu is hampered. I'm going to try their authors next.

My agent, who is as smart as paint and very protective, also said "watch it", pard.

Tri
Listen to him. If you can't find any of their books in the stores, then why bother wasting precious research time on them. Their distribution has already proven that they do nothing but spam people. That isn't distribution. It's annoying.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Heh--I just got a mail today from Darkstar's head honcho, Tom Knowles.

As stated in the other thread, I've known him for years, and he's a straight arrow. He doesn't know how to be otherwise, and is certainly the guy you want on your side in a bar fight. (It's a Texan Thing.) He also very much knows what the heck he's doing, not some neo who just decided to set up shop because it looked easy.

He addresses the questions that have been posted. I've not had my coffee yet, so I'll hold off pasting in his mail here until I find out if that's okay with him or not.

Later........

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Yes, the second half of my email from Tom probably covers the same ground, and he's explaining some of the questions that have been raised throughout this thread. I admire his integrity and honest comments. And I do "get" exactly where he's coming from.

The better news is, I've been put in the queue for a full read around July or August, having passed the query and then the chapters stage via my agent sub. He's trying to get Bob's book out right now, and I can see where and why this loyalty lies with this project. I'm content to sit back--I'm not rushed since I'm juggling so many other things right now.

Tri

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Heard back from Mr. Knowles:

"1) we’re taking a different approach to publishing, which is what I thought everyone was hungry for, and 2) we’re so new that nobody except a few friends like you know enough about us to speak accurately about us. BTW, I really appreciate you sending correct information to P&E. I didn’t know that we were really on anyone’s radar.

Gllhoughly ... hey, I love that movie, too <g>.

Tom"

He said I could use all of his letter and I'll post it in full below.

Remember they are darkstarbooks-dot-NET, not dot-com--which is the bunch that has the "not recommended" warning on P&E.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
From Thomas Knowles of Darkstar Books-dot-NET

Gill,

I just wanted to thank you for your posts in defense of DarkStar Books and Lone Star Publishing on the Absolute Write Water Cooler board, and for your kind words about me as well.

To clarify some of the questions I've seen asked by members of the board:

It has taken us almost two years since we started the Lone Star Publishing partnership to get to the point of actually doing business—and we’re just now reaching the sustainable chain-reaction point. All we’ve put out so far is a test run for our composition, printing, sales, and shipping process, a limited edition reprint of the first volume of my Texas Ranger series. It proved successful on the limited scale of the test.

We’re actually kicking off real business in March and April 2009 with the publication of Jeff Carroll’s Being Texan, which will no doubt be the premiere Texana book of 2009, and NO Quarter, Robert Asprin’s much-awaited suspense/mystery novel.

We just held a very successful launch party at ConDFW in Dallas at which we handed out 200 cover flats and other promotional items for these books. This summer, we’re following these books with the new versions of Darlene Bolesny’s Trail of Darkness and Rory Harper’s Petrogypsies, and with Steve Banister’s The St. Charles House, all of which are the first books in planned (and in some cases, already written) series.

Except in the case of the Asprin book, I personally approached each of these authors, made them offers, and scheduled their books for the initial slate for each house.

The offer of the Asprin book, made by and contracted for by Bob while he was still alive, actually accelerated my timetable for launching DarkStar by six to nine months.

Yes, one of our bottlenecks is that we have only one part-time and two full-time editors—and one of them is me. I’ve put my own writing career on hold to do this. That includes one nearly-finished and two partially-finished books in the Texas Ranger series that would sell like hotcakes to their established audience if I only took time to finish them.

We’ll add more directly and contract people as we need them, but not until we need them, which will not be until after we’ve gotten our first real products to market. This is why we stipulated “no unagented submissions” and “established authors preferred.” We simply do not have the staff at this point to deal with a flood of submissions.

Yes, I’m not totally consistent re: the “agented only” term in the submissions requirements, but I am consistent re: the timing required by our business plan. We’ve received a number of submissions for both houses, from agented and un-agented authors—some of whom I’ve seen posted in this thread.

We have accepted some submissions, but in each case, I’ve explained to the agents or the authors involved that the timetable for our business plan would prohibit any offer of or consideration of a contract until we’d actually launched the lines and initially marketed our first slate of books. That basically means July 2009 or even later. I repeat—I’ve made that fact absolutely clear, each and every time, and I’ve told those involved that they’re free to make submission elsewhere while we’re waiting on that point.

I intend to build lasting, mutually-profitable relationships with newer, less established authors, but that is a future projection for our lines—my one priority is to establish our lines and make them profitable.

Something else that may be viewed as an inconsistency is our recruitment policy and the timing of contracts. I’m not going to turn down a project that will help us establish our book lines and substantially enhance our bottom line.

For instance, at ConDFW, I was graciously offered two books by a top NYT bestseller. We’re presently negotiating contract terms. I will jump a potential bestseller like that to the head of the line above other submissions. If that makes some people unhappy, so be it.

I don’t need these companies to provide my living, but I do need them to show a profit in the next year or so. My partners and I have invested a great deal of time and money and effort in them. We’re doing it out-of-pocket, no outside financing. We could be spending that money on other things, or investing it elsewhere.

We are different from almost any other publisher in a multitude of ways.

One of my partners owns a full-service printing company that has a proven record for producing fine books for other publishers. What this means is that we can call on a full staff of artists, composition and production people, technical staff, administrative, warehousing and shipping, and sales people.

What it also means is that we can print books at cost-plus, even for shorter runs. The printing company’s capabilities include both offset and digital—the latest and best of both. We can afford to print to order—not POD, but to order for major and independent vendors—at a cost no other publisher can match.

We’ll keep books in print longer, we’ll be able afford to actually pay royalties and pay them on time, and we’ll be able minimize the time between completion by the author and shipping to market by an astounding measure.

We can print and distribute catalogs and other publicity-related materials—such as those cover flats we distributed at ConDFW—for a fraction of the cost that other publishers would pay. We’re looking at a new way to distribute audio books and e-books—I can’t talk about it at the moment, we’re negotiating—that will make Amazon’s Kindle look clunky.

The Lone Star Publishing/B&K Distributing office is housed in the printing company site; it provides a meeting facility, records keeping, physical address, telephone and fax contact, full-time ordering service, and an administrative assistant with a direct line to the partners.

Because DarkStar Books is my own imprint and is associated with B&K Distributing but not with Lone Star Publishing, I set up a separate P.O. Box address and telephone number. We’re not going to rent or build a second office until that line is firmly in the black—that’s simply not in our business plan.

Anyone who wants to check it out can send me mail at the Lone Star Publishing address or call in on the Lone Star Publishing number. If I’m not there, Donna Tinsley will direct you to me.

All royalty and financial statements and monetary disbursements for books from both lines and the distributing company will come from the same accounting firm. I’m not trying to hide anything by using a P.O. Box for DarkStar Books.

Also unlike other publishers, we warehouse and ship our own books. We’ve set up Britton & Knowles Distributing to market our Lone Star and Dark Star products to the smaller chains, independents, and the museum/gift shop markets, and to print/catalog/market products from the other small-press and gaming groups/companies that we’ve been negotiating with.

As for catalog/sales service for sales and distribution to the mega-chains, we’re contracting with the third-largest book distributor in the nation—I’ve done business with them before, and I prefer them to the bigger two distributors. This arrangement has been approved by the big chains at the corporate level. Our books will be on the shelves in Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million, Borders, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

Finally ... I’m 53 years old. I sold my first work for money to a children’s magazine when I was 13, kept writing and selling my fiction and nonfiction work even as I grew up and got other jobs—newspaper editor, engineer, teacher, investor, etc. My SF short stories have hit the Nebula recommended list, never actually been nominated. I’m first and foremost a writer, and my sympathies generally lie with other writers. I started Lone Star Publishing and DarkStar Books because, while I’ve written and published critically-acclaimed, award-winning, regionally-bestselling nonfiction books, I’ve been ripped off to some extent by each and every book publisher with which I’ve done business—that includes majors that every writer would recognize. I got to the point where I couldn’t bring myself to send off any more of my books to be exploited by companies that cheated me and mishandled my work. For a while, I pretty much stopped writing because of that.

I didn’t want to stop writing, so I decided to invest my money and time in a company that would take the publishing business in a new, more efficient, and more honest direction.

While I could afford to simply publish my own books (that distributor I mentioned would distribute to the major vendors, as they have done for me before) at a good return and not bother with anyone else’s work, I want to do the same thing for other good writers and their work as I’m doing for my own. I’m not a starry-eyed altruist, and I intend to make one hell of a profit, but I believe that our new way of doing business will be a plus for anyone who signs on with us.

I’m a professional, have been one for years, and I’m going to continue to act like a professional regardless of the situation. What all this means to writers out there is that I won’t cheat you, I won’t lie to you, and I won’t screw you around. If I don’t like something you write, I’ll tell you flat out, and we’ll either work it out or we won’t. If we don’t, I won’t publish it. It’s that simple.

Best,

Tom Knowles
www.lonestarpublishing.net
www.darkstarbooks.net
www.bkdistributing.net

Last edited:

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I met these folks at ConDFW. I've known Teresa Patterson (one of the writers who finished Bob Asprin's book) since high school, and she's pretty savvy. She wouldn't sign on with someone who doesn't know what the heck they're doing. I'm pleased for her.

Wanderer

Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.darkstarbooks.net
Hello to all here. Gillhoughly suggested I try out this forum. Yes, I know I should be working instead ;).While I know that anonymity is something of the norm here, it would be counterproductive and futile in my case to attempt to hide my identity. I'm here to answer/discuss questions you may have about our publishing lines--except for whose book is next on our list to be read and considered for contract or other confidential matters--and the state of the publishing industry in general. I'm not here to advertise, so let me know if I'm out of line in any way.

Best,

Tom Knowles

GhostAuthor

She who should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinabarber.net
Hello, Mr. Knowles! Welcome to the forum.

I'll go ahead and ask a question. . . When should we expect to start seeing DarkStar titles out?

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW!

BTW, a fair number of us are not anonymous, even with nicknames. You'll often see links to web sites, blogs, and books in sig lines.

Wanderer

Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.darkstarbooks.net
Hello, Mr. Knowles! Welcome to the forum.

I'll go ahead and ask a question. . . When should we expect to start seeing DarkStar titles out?

Thanks for the welcome! Please call me Tom--Mr. Knowles was my grandfather ;).

In answer to your question, NO Quarter, the suspense/mystery by Robert Lynn Asprin, Eric Del Carlo, and Teresa Patterson is due to hit the press on April 16. It will be first printed, as most of our books will be, in a 6" by 9" quality trade edition. It's quite a bit different from Bob's usual light/comic fantasy, although it contains some dark fantasy elements. The way the characters relate, however, should be familiar to his fans. We believe that it will prove to be a book that everyone, from regular Asprin fans to mystery fans who might not know his work, will enjoy.

About the same time, our sister company, Lone Star Publishing, will print Being Texan, Jeff Carroll's book of stories about Texans (some well-known, many not) throughout history. It's illustrated with about 160 new drawings, period photos, and period paintings.

We've also got several other books underway for this Summer and Fall, and a number of books under consideration or in contract negotiation for Fall 2009 and Spring 2010.

Again, thanks for the welcome.

Wanderer

Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.darkstarbooks.net
Welcome to AW!

BTW, a fair number of us are not anonymous, even with nicknames. You'll often see links to web sites, blogs, and books in sig lines.

Thanks for the welcome, Julie.

That's what I figured regarding the anonymity. Anyway, I realized that I couldn't really answer questions or discuss the industry if I didn't state who I was.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Tom,

You'll have to forgive some people at being a tad "suspicious".

Considering how often "new" publishers come and go - most with good intentions but no experience - certain "phrases" and "buzzwords" set off alarms around here.

However, a) you're vouched for by Gil, which goes a long way in my book, and b) willing to come here and calmly and openly discuss stuff instead of coming in with both barrels blazing. Both of those things are going to get you a lot of good will from this crowd.

Glad to see you and I wish you the best with your upcoming releases.

Rich

Wanderer

Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.darkstarbooks.net
Tom,

You'll have to forgive some people at being a tad "suspicious".

Considering how often "new" publishers come and go - most with good intentions but no experience - certain "phrases" and "buzzwords" set off alarms around here.

However, a) you're vouched for by Gil, which goes a long way in my book, and b) willing to come here and calmly and openly discuss stuff instead of coming in with both barrels blazing. Both of those things are going to get you a lot of good will from this crowd.

Glad to see you and I wish you the best with your upcoming releases.

Rich

Thanks, Rich, for both the welcome and the best wishes.

I don't blame anyone for being suspicious, given the state of the industry. I'm trying to change that state, at least as far as our work is concerned. I may or may not succeed, but it won't be because I didn't try.

BTW, just in case anyone thinks I'm not dogging it ;), I'm sitting out on on the patio on a beautiful Texas afternoon, smoking my pipe and working on my laptop to make some print corrections for our designer.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Well, I don't have the warm Texas sun, (although, I've lived in Texas enough to know what you're talking about), but I am on the laptop and making edits/rewrites to the novel due 13 April.

I don't smoke pipes any more, but I do chew the heck out of my old meerschaum when I have a rather sticky section to work on. *grin*

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not enjoying the lovely Texas sun. I'm indoors, cleaning up the desk so I can start in on the next project. (Think I could get it declared a disaster area after this last round of winds? I have damage - a broken patio umbrella. :grin:)

When I spoke with Teresa at ConDFW she seemed quite pleased with the book. Hope it does well for you guys.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
This thread has officially become a bummer. I didn't know about Robert Asprin 8(

I remember readying the Myth books back in the 80's. He helped pioneer the idea that comedic fantasy could work. I also loved the Thieves World books.

Wanderer, thanks for dropping in. Accepting unsoliciteds anytime soon? ;) My earth shattering question: Why College Station? Couldn't decide on Austin, Houston or DFW and tried to get somewhere in between?

Wanderer

Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.darkstarbooks.net
Well, I don't have the warm Texas sun, (although, I've lived in Texas enough to know what you're talking about), but I am on the laptop and making edits/rewrites to the novel due 13 April.

I don't smoke pipes any more, but I do chew the heck out of my old meerschaum when I have a rather sticky section to work on. *grin*

It has been weird weather this year--cold, hot, cold hot, dry when it should rain, raining when it should be dry. That's Texas for you.

If I had to give up my pipe, I'd probably have to give up writing ...

Wanderer

Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.darkstarbooks.net
I'm not enjoying the lovely Texas sun. I'm indoors, cleaning up the desk so I can start in on the next project. (Think I could get it declared a disaster area after this last round of winds? I have damage - a broken patio umbrella. :grin:)

When I spoke with Teresa at ConDFW she seemed quite pleased with the book. Hope it does well for you guys.

I have a broken patio umbrella, too, but in this case the tree removal crew dropped a dead tree on it. That's also what shattered the concrete of the patio I mentioned. Oh, well, it's an old umbrella and I was thinking of remodeling the concrete patio into a bricked one, anyway ...

Thanks again for your best wishes, Judy. Editing NO Quarter and working with Teresa has been an interesting experience. Wish Bob had been able to hang around for a bit. I knew him fairly well from doing panels with him and hanging out with him at conventions, but I was looking forward to working with him more in person.

Wanderer

Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.darkstarbooks.net
Bob Asprin will be missed ...

This thread has officially become a bummer. I didn't know about Robert Asprin 8(

I remember readying the Myth books back in the 80's. He helped pioneer the idea that comedic fantasy could work. I also loved the Thieves World books.

Wanderer, thanks for dropping in. Accepting unsoliciteds anytime soon? ;) My earth shattering question: Why College Station? Couldn't decide on Austin, Houston or DFW and tried to get somewhere in between?

Sorry about that, didn't mean to bring anyone down with the news of Bob's death. I actually heard on that evening, when a mutual friend called me. She'd gone to pick him up to take him to the airport for a flight to a convention. She found him, and even though she'd worked as an EMT at one point, she thought he was just asleep. It looked as though he'd just taken off his glasses and lowered the Terry Pratchet book he was reading, took a nap, and didn't wake up.

As far as accepting unsolicited queries, we simply can't. We're trying to establish the line and don't have a lot of help. At present, we're only accepting queries from reputable agents and from authors I know personally. At some point, I hope to have the staff to accept general submissions, to weed through the slush pile for gold. I'm going to want to bring up some new writers from the start, eventually. I just don't have the money, time, or staff to do it right now.

Why Bryan/College Station? I'm a native Texan--and that counts in more than one sense. I don't really like big cities, moved here in the late seventies to work for a consulting firm, liked it, stayed on, eventually taught at Texas A&M ... long, boring story, but this is more my home town now than is the town in which I was born and grew up. It has changed a lot in thirty years, though.

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com

If I had to give up my pipe, I'd probably have to give up writing ...

Hello there Tom, and welcome! I feel the same about my cigarettes. I'm not sure how I'd write if I quit smoking.

I have to say, it's nice to see an establishment that not only cares about what they put out, but has the chops to do it. Too many "new" publishers are also "new" to publishing and, while their intentions may be noble and good, have no idea what in the heck they are doing (I was nearly sucked in by one of these "publishers" myself). Writers seeking publication for the first time tend to think new means better chances. Perhaps if a few more followed the example you are trying to make, they'd be better off. So would their authors.

I'm a bit disappointed that unpublished and unagented authors have less of a chance with your establishment (Only because I fall within those lines, hehe), but I understand the approach and appreciate it from a business stand point. I will, however, be waiting for some of your books to come out. I need some new reading material. :)

~Ellen

Status
Not open for further replies.