Sasquan (WorldCon 2015)

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Sasquan is having a Black Friday sale. If you want an attending membership, it's unlikely to be cheaper.

Sasquan http://sasquan.org/ is offering a discount on attending membership rates from Friday, November 28 through Monday, December 1. The discounted rate will be $170 attending ($130 for conversion from supporting).

The family membership rate will also be reduced $20 to $450 for two adults and two young adults and/or children. This will be available from (approximately) 12:00 AM Pacific time Friday morning through(approximately) 11:59 PM Pacific time Monday night.

Sasquan is in Spokane, Washington, USA next August.

If you wish to vote for the 2017 Worldcon (Helsiki!! Yes!) you must have either an attending or supporting membership to Sasquan.

I suppose, to be fair, I should also mention that Washington DC, Japan and Montreal are also bidding for the 2017 Worldcon. You'd need a membership to vote for them, too.

Also, membership gives you nominating and voting privileges for the Hugo Awards.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Not to dissuade anyone from attending, but I'll be there :)

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Sasquan says they've sold ~$11,500 worth of memberships in the first two days of their four day sale.

I encourage people to go even if zanzjan *is* going. It'll be fun, anyway. :evil

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap I didn't realize WorldCon was such a big deal. When I saw it was in Spokane next year I thought it was some little con they have every year there. :O

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Over 10,000 people bought memberships for WorldCon in London this year. Sasquan will no doubt be smaller due to distance and them not having an international airport. But WorldCon is a big deal anyway--members nominate and vote on the Hugo awards.

Also, if you want to vote for where the 2017 WorldCon will be (FINLAND! Montreal, Japan or Washington, DC) you need to have a membership for Sasquan. (Yes, banging that drum again.)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
London Worldcon was lots of fun, and I got to meet a number of AWers in person, and spent a lot of time hanging out by a curry stand talking writing and books and you name it. Good times. :)

If anyone reading this thread hasn't been to a Worldcon -- or an SF con in general -- and wants to know more about what goes on at one, don't hesitate to ask. :)

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
No sure where you live, Filigree, but 2016 is in Kansas City, MO (MidAmeriCon II). By February, their rates will be cheaper than Sasquan's. Is KC more convenient for you?

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for ressurecting a psuedo-zombie thread, I'm hoping someone can help decipher these prices... https://sasquan.swoc.us/sasquan/reg.php

I get that by buying a ticket you're buying a membership... right to votes for the awards, the next location, membership into World Science Fiction Society??.....but what if you don't want that. What if you want a very basic plain-jane I-just-want-to-see-all-the-cool-stuff ticket. Is that even possible?

What's the supporting ticket price? What's the conversion from supporting?? Urgh... why so complicated...

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Channy, there is a supporting membership, which gives you ALL privileges of WorldCon except actually going in person (and therefore you also cannot vote on business at the business meeting--but you can submit business to the business meeting).

Then there is an Attending membership that gives you the whole nine yards.

If you did not vote for WorldCon two years ago, and haven't previously purchased a Supporting membership then you don't need to worry about conversion rates.

I assume you A) want to be there in person and B) do not have any other form of membership? If so, get an Attending membership.

You will then have all privileges except nominating for the Hugo awards. You had to have a membership by January 31 to do that. But if you get a membership now, you can VOTE on the final Hugo ballot which will come out some time around Easter.

Reply here if you have more questions and I'll be glad to help.

A note to those who had memberships to LonCon3 or had memberships to Sasquan or MidAmeriCon2 before January 31--nominations for the Hugo awards are due March 31. You should by now have your PIN from the Hugo Administrators.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the info! The main thing that worries me is the expense for something I'm not sure I need i.e. the voting, the Science Fiction Membership (which I assume there must be a good reason, good stuff, etc for it in the first place but it doesn't interest me). 210 $250 because I'm Canadian, is a lot for a con membership and I misse dout when it was a bit cheaper... granted, I don't go to a whole lot of these so really compare. But Spokane is just a short 3 hrs away and it would be a shame to squander the opportunity.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
There is no cheaper, unless Sasquan decides to do a day membership, which I see no sign of. Attending membership always includes voting privileges. WorldCon doesn't do "tickets only" like some other cons do. If you've bought a "ticket" then you're a member and have all the privileges of membership.

Sometimes closer to the con, there are folks looking to sell their memberships at the rate they bought them at. But that's a gamble.

I'd highly recommend you reserve your hotel room ASAP if you're going to stay in a hotel. They keep adding room blocks and they keep selling out. I reserved the first day available and almost didn't get into the main hotel.

$200 actually isn't bad for a five-day con.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, like I said, I don't have a whole lot of experience with cons.. I've only previously gone to Edmonton Expo but this obviously seems a lot bigger/wider in comparison. But thanks for the info :) I think it pretty much answers what questions I had. I'll check in with my partner and see if he's keen on going.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
It's also worth noting that Worldcons are run as non-profits, so the price tag is pretty much a reflection of the cost of putting the thing on. Which doesn't make it any less ouchy when you're feeling poor. I only afforded my first Worldcon because I had no idea what it would cost and just showed up, and some guy outside was desperately trying to sell his membership he couldn't use.

I don't know if Worldcon does this -- and it might vary -- but some places give you a break if you put in volunteer hours.

Regardless, if you do go, don't hesitate to say hello. A good number of us will be there. :)

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Worldcons do not generally give discounts to volunteers, not even commitee staff. Once in a great while some might give partial refunds if there are funds available but it's really rare.

Volunteers usually get access to a staff break room with snacks, and some appreciations like a t-shirt or books if you put in a certain number of hours.

That said, volunteering a few hours is a great way to break into a con. If you PM me closer to August I will tell you how to contact me via the voodoo board. Maybe we could have a drink or something. You, too, Zanzjan et al.

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
You, too, Zanzjan et al.

Oh hey, speaking of which, you going to Boskone? I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to do a one-day trip in for Saturday (it will depend a lot on snow, I expect.)

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, we are going to Boskone. We spent all of dinner debating whether to go up Thursday and pay an extra night, or Friday morning and hit the next round of snow.

Saturday should be snowless (cross fingers) but more moves in on Sunday/Monday by which time I hope to be safely home.

I'm used to parking in the free spots in the streets behind the hotel but am afraid they are now humongous snow banks and we'll have to fork out for hotel parking, too. :p

I shall try to remember to color in a pink U on my badge. ;-)

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Start saving in ernest! 2017 will (hopefully) be in Helsinki!

If not there, then I predict Washington, DC because it doesn't look like either the Montreal or the Japan bid have enough organization to win.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Yeah, like I said, I don't have a whole lot of experience with cons.. I've only previously gone to Edmonton Expo but this obviously seems a lot bigger/wider in comparison.

Somewhat smaller (which would probably be more fun for a relatively new con-goer), cheaper, but still in the same neck of the world is MisCon (Missoula MT, I think it's the last weekend in May).