THIS ONE IS PERFECT! ULTIMATE GRAND PRIZE WINNING PLACE!! -Amb
Mmhmm...something smells suspicious.
This is awesome. Who wrote this?! - 10trackers
yea, uh-huh. Who indeed.

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Oh crap, what to do w/my boc ZERO. Booyah! ?

Anyone Lap want it??
:Hug2:

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lap, do you want the crit circle hot seat? Of course we're not tired of you yet :D

I think I've had four, and I haven't been chased out with pitchforks yet either. :mob

So send it on over :)

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations to the winners.

Lapinou

Registered
Reaction score
God, I don't know now, 10! I'm thinking I need to work on it rather a lot. Not having a strop at all, but boy I do seem to be completely shite at openings!

Lapinou

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, I don't get it - I get lots of positive stuff from other ppl, and then you lot go and give me no points...every single month! :D

What is going on? Is everyone else lying to me...or do you all hate me?

<looks around suspiciously>

Oh yeah, the BOC's anonymous.

<sigh>

So I'm assuming you're all the honest ones so where does that leave me? A shite opening writer? Or a shite writer in entirety?

I don't mind - will still keep writing but will def want to work on that opening before I send you the chapter again. When will the deadline be?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Just how is a block of wood like me who reads specfic and thrillers supposed to handle some poignant emo mother-baby scene where the kid doesn't turn out to have tentacles or a ninja assassin doesn't come crashing in through the window? It's too much for me, I tells you!

-Derek

Lapinou

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but, Derek, I got NO votes, not just NO votes from you, but NO votes from anyone!

And besides, despite appearances, trust you far too much to think you'd think 'writing that doesn't interest me = bad writing'.

Sooooo...I just want to be a good writer, and every time I think I am, I go and enter a BOC and find out you all think I'm not :D

And I do think you lot are more honest than all the other ppl I ask.

Not going to stop writing, just considering what I need to be doing to make it better.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Not going to stop writing, just considering what I need to be doing to make it better.

Hey Lapinou,

I think one thing is to ignore the vote aspect of the BOC. That involves some factors that don't say anything about the quality of your writing. For example, pick your four favourite authors, and imagine that each of them had submitted an opening to one of your favourite books to the contest. I read them, and vote. But because there are only three places to vote for, one of them wouldn't get a vote. Does that mean their opening isn't good? There are so few of us involved in the contest that the number of votes an entry gets essentially has no meaning.

As far as the BOC goes, I'd advise looking only at the comments on your openings. See if anything can be applied as you revise. You might find that you apply a suggestion, but it makes the story worse. At that point, you look at why it did that.

I think I remember reading that you have only recently begun writing fiction in earnest, is that right? If so, then you are standing at the start of your writing learning curve. Everyone progresses along theirs at their own pace. At this stage, you read a lot (in every genre), and you can look through books on writing, and try to find a method from among the possibilities that clicks for you.

Be gentle with yourself, and remember that each day you spend teaching yourself, you're moving forward.

Lapinou

Registered
Reaction score
Sophia - you are lovely :)

I am reading, reading, reading and also writing, writing, writing. I'm aware I need to learn. Will sub my re-written first chapter as it is, and also will definitely be considering the comments on the BOC, which were very, very useful.

Great idea to ignore the vote aspect of the contest, and focus on the fantastic opportunity to get some good critique.

I'm honestly not having a crisis of confidence - well, a crisis of confidence in myself as a writer. Am having a bit of a crisis of confidence in the other ppl I ask for opinions of, though!

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Do read the last paragraph of my results post again, won't you? It's not intended as a casual throwaway joke comment. :)

-Derek

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Just how is a block of wood like me who reads specfic and thrillers supposed to handle some poignant emo mother-baby scene where the kid doesn't turn out to have tentacles or a ninja assassin doesn't come crashing in through the window? It's too much for me, I tells you!

-Derek

Make mine with horns and have it croak "PRAISE ME".

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Sophia - you are lovely :)

I am reading, reading, reading and also writing, writing, writing. I'm aware I need to learn. Will sub my re-written first chapter as it is, and also will definitely be considering the comments on the BOC, which were very, very useful.

Great idea to ignore the vote aspect of the contest, and focus on the fantastic opportunity to get some good critique.

I'm honestly not having a crisis of confidence - well, a crisis of confidence in myself as a writer. Am having a bit of a crisis of confidence in the other ppl I ask for opinions of, though!

Well Lap, I want to remind you that I also had a few dry spells in the BOCs. I had (that I can remember) one month where I didn't get any votes whatsoever. I agree fullheartedly with Sophia, it's not about the votes, it's about the comments. I mean, when you have the admin of the BOC on the take (you can find his paypal account number under his siggie) then you know the votes are rigged :tongue. Just kidding of course! But really, it's what Sophia said, she's a wise woman you know ;)

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Lapinou, here it is...the whole damn truth. You ready.

Ok I was about to say BOC was rigged, but then how would I fight the super heavyweights like Derek and Sophia. So I'll keep this simple. Just write. I don't get votes either when I do enter BOC. Does that mean I'm a bad writer? Perhaps.
Or perhaps, I don't know how to craft an opening sentence to a story.
Perhaps I'm still learning and haven't done my minimum quota of a million words of writing to be ready for real writing.
I recently read some of my stuff from before I joined Aw. Yes I knew how to string words, but my craft and understanding of it has only improved afterwards.

Don't fret over BOC. Just write, and pray that I start writing again.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
The stench of corruption fills my nostrils!

It's time we had a new BOC admin! Starting next month, after the September crit chat.

Ehab, I sense your wish to volunteer! So we know the contest is totally above board, and we can be sure there's no vote-rigging and money transfers and shiny new cars.

Are you man enough? That is the only question.

-Derek

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Sure Derek, I'm man enough (for now) :tongue. Let's take this for a spin then. Now gimme the damn crown!

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lap, I don't want to rush you, but in order to give the critters enough time to read and crit your bit (teehee), I'm going to need it today or tomorrow morning at the latest :)

Lapinou

Registered
Reaction score
It's on its way, 10, through the ether :D

Lapinou

Registered
Reaction score
Are you all ripping me to shreds today?

It's OK, I can take it :) I know I had a wobbly, but that was honestly the voting, not the critique. See y'all at four! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.