The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Grisham

Kate StAmour said:
Didn't someone post that the whole, "Grisham sold his own books" thing is a fallacy? Am I losing it?

The idea that Grisham was self-published is false (for all that you hear it often from self-publishing enthusiasts). His first book came out from Wynnwood in a standard advance-and-royalties deal.

He was very active in marketing his book. Who knows if it helped? Perhaps it sold an additional 500 copies. The first edition of A Time To Kill sold around 5,000 copies, which is right what you'd expect.

What boosted Grisham into the ranks of super-sellers was when his second book was sold (by his agent) to Hollywood for a Tom Cruise movie before the book was even published. Based on the Hollywood sale, Grisham got a very good hardcover deal from a much larger house. They brought out a new edition of A Time To Kill that didn't mention the previous Wynnwood printing, which is probably what fueled the self-publication rumors.

Do you want to know the real secret to Grisham's success? The day after he finished A Time To Kill, he started writing The Firm. Careers aren't based on one book -- they're based on your next book, and the one after that.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
2-21
8 PM
MARGARET HODAPP www.margarethodapp.com

I know that she is a PA author too, as I reviewed her book. Her review is my cover blurb and she uses mine as well. (Part of that whole ugly reading circle thing)

And the question was brought up ages ago if we bought each others book for it. No, I sent her a pdf of mine and she sent me her pdf copy. I don't believe anyone in that reading circle ended up actually buying a book.

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
tinasamuels said:
2-21
8 PM
MARGARET HODAPP www.margarethodapp.com

I know that she is a PA author too, as I reviewed her book. Her review is my cover blurb and she uses mine as well. (Part of that whole ugly reading circle thing)

And the question was brought up ages ago if we bought each others book for it. No, I sent her a pdf of mine and she sent me her pdf copy. I don't believe anyone in that reading circle ended up actually buying a book.

Margaret and I exchanged .pdf's as well and reviewed each other's books. I also exchanged with 3 other authors there, never buying a book.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
There's actually nothing wrong with those exchange blurbs. However, authors should keep in mind that most such quotes carry no weight. The only blurbs that are useful are those from authors whom the reading public will recognize for either bestsellers or for having been part of some well known event or organization. Consequently, using a cover blurb from someone unknown might come back to hurt your sales.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Starting countdown timer...now

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/main/11692.htm

davelewis
2/17/2005
12:44:18

I previous announced I had scheduled book signing at two Walden bookstores, well they are now cancelled. The reason is Book Availability. I have to commend the store manager for fighting tooth and nail with their corporate office to have the signing. It appears the books stores have a list of approved distributors that they have to go through, and a lot of the managers don’t have any leeway to deviate from it, however some do.

In my case, POD would not have been an issue; the problem was them not being able to get the book. Ingram did have my book listed as being stocked in the warehouse, but it was purchased earlier in the week, so when the bookstore check its availability, it was reported as being book out of stock (which was true)

Don’t get me wrong, Print on Demand is the greatest thing since sliced bread. So like I said before, being the new kids on the block, we are going to go through some growing pains, but it will all come together in the end. After all, I feel pretty dawn good because this gave me a great opportunity to learn more about the publishing business and what is to be expected. I know we here at PA will be prevail.

One more thing…….. And I may be wrong, but I think if PA were to somehow become one of the bookstores like B&N, Walden and the likes, approved distributors, we would not have any problems at all when we talked to the bookstores. If this were to happen, I think it would be a win – win situation for everyone. I know the bottom line is making money, but if PA were to have at least 50 of our books stocked at Ingram instead of 1, and become an approved distributor, that would speedup online purchases for delivery, and bookstores would have another avenue to purchase our books.
PA, if you are listening, can you provide more information a long these lines. For me, I just want to know all there is to know so I can better promote my book. Thanks in advance.

Anyway, I just thought I would share my thoughts with you all, now I have to go hide behind my desk and my some calls….LOL

Everyone have a great day and just remember, we (Authors) and PA, are the industries newest members and we are entering an old world that is resistant to change. So, lets keep knocking on doors until we knock them down.

David A. Lewis

Last edited:

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
CaoPaux said:
http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/main/11692.htm\

davelewis
2/17/2005
12:44:18

I previous announced I had scheduled book signing at two Walden bookstores, well they are now cancelled. The reason is Book Availability. I have to commend the store manager for fighting tooth and nail with their corporate office to have the signing. It appears the books stores have a list of approved distributors that they have to go through, and a lot of the managers don’t have any leeway to deviate from it, however some do.

In my case, POD would not have been an issue; the problem was them not being able to get the book. Ingram did have my book listed as being stocked in the warehouse, but it was purchased earlier in the week, so when the bookstore check its availability, it was reported as being book out of stock (which was true)

Don’t get me wrong, Print on Demand is the greatest thing since sliced bread. So like I said before, being the new kids on the block, we are going to go through some growing pains, but it will all come together in the end. After all, I feel pretty dawn good because this gave me a great opportunity to learn more about the publishing business and what is to be expected. I know we here at PA will be prevail.

One more thing…….. And I may be wrong, but I think if PA were to somehow become one of the bookstores like B&N, Walden and the likes, approved distributors, we would not have any problems at all when we talked to the bookstores. If this were to happen, I think it would be a win – win situation for everyone. I know the bottom line is making money, but if PA were to have at least 50 of our books stocked at Ingram instead of 1, and become an approved distributor, that would speedup online purchases for delivery, and bookstores would have another avenue to purchase our books.
PA, if you are listening, can you provide more information a long these lines. For me, I just want to know all there is to know so I can better promote my book. Thanks in advance.

Anyway, I just thought I would share my thoughts with you all, now I have to go hide behind my desk and my some calls….LOL

Everyone have a great day and just remember, we (Authors) and PA, are the industries newest members and we are entering an old world that is resistant to change. So, lets keep knocking on doors until we knock them down.

David A. Lewis

*bing*

gone now!

you may all return to your enforced ignorance...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaarrrrggghhh!

Oh, *&#^$%. No, it's still there, I just bleeped-up the link. Will fix. :Headbang:

Last edited:

realitychuck

Hack Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
ZaZ said:
First reply: "I know they want their authors to succeed and will eventually do everything possible to help us!"
And eventually the sun will supernova, destroying all life on Earth.

Care to speculate as to which happens first? :Sun:

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DaveKuzminski said:
There's actually nothing wrong with those exchange blurbs. However, authors should keep in mind that most such quotes carry no weight. The only blurbs that are useful are those from authors whom the reading public will recognize for either bestsellers or for having been part of some well known event or organization. Consequently, using a cover blurb from someone unknown might come back to hurt your sales.

I used the reviews on my website as that seemed the only place that I could market my book. :Shrug: Yesterday, I cleared my website of a lot of things that shouldn't have been there. I put some things on there when I was a minion of PA. (I need a shuddering emoticon). I did leave some books of PA authors there that I did read and thought were good. I still think those books were good reads and that the authors have a lot of potential given the proper marketing.

I didn't have a chance to put those reviews on my cover. I'm glad that I didn't as they are as unknown as me. I understand why PA authors do it, if they can. You are forced to look to your peers for any type of marketing, even marketing of each other in the hopes that it will be good for everyone. I've learned a lot, especially from everyone at this board. Now, let's just hope that I don't come up with a new horrid mistake to make.:ROFL: Hey, it's possible, just hopefully not probable.

Went off on a tangent, didn't I? :eek:

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Here's something from that same thread...

Yeap that seems to be a problem. but I feel strongly it will all work itself out. I'm going to order some of my books to make them available to the local book stores IF they want to try them out and then order them later. Also for my own book signings I feel I should carry a bunch of my own books. Once the stores see how well it sells, I won't have a problem getting them to order my books... just thought I'd share that thought.
Folks, cut them a little slack. They either are newbies, and just don't know how the business works, or they are letting hopefulness (and just plain not wanting to be taken) override their common sense. The truth will become evident soon enough, and it will be quite disheartening. And, for any of them who may read this, you are more than welcome to come here. There are some excellent resources available, and, most of all, people who have gone through what you are going through right now...

**The link, for those who haven't taken a look yet:

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/main/11692.htm\

That is, provided said link is still up...

Last edited:

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Last time I looked, the review by Billy, the one that asked whether this was "(sic) humor," had vanished from lulu.com's Atlanta Nights page. Ed Williams, take note: your referent has sunk beneath the surface, and nary a bubble rises from the spot.

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ed Williams said:
Folks, cut them a little slack. They either are newbies, and just don't know how the business works, or they are letting hopefulness (and just plain not wanting to be taken) override their common sense.

That sums up quite a bit. It's really hard to find out everything I've found out. Once you hear tidbits, you don't want them to be true. I can say that I didn't want them to be.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Reph, because of legal advice that resulted in the vanishment of the old ez-board posts you were looking for, I've deleted your post. Apologies, and I've sent you a PM to let you know why in more detail.

- Victoria

Last edited by a moderator:

Kate StAmour

Woooo Chaaaa!
Registered
Reaction score
Basic Quantum Physics: None of us are really here
Website
katestamour.com
bikrpreacher said:
I've been thinking of getting on this radio program...what do you all think, would that be just too mean? I mean some of you could email questions, I wonder if that would work. Might not I guess since there are a lot of PA people on there, just thinking about this. :Huh:

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I also, do not recommend this type of tactic. I think we all need to hold ourselves to the highest professional and moral standards otherwise we are not going to appear credible when it counts.
And yes, it is mean. Authors are not enemies, even ones that are cruel and abusive.

Note: *I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.*

Status
Not open for further replies.