• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Night Shade Books

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Another writer's account of a negative experience with Night Shade Books here.

Pretty disheartening story.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I first overheard these rumbling back at WFC in Sarasota Springs (as BadDucky mentioned). I didn't have anything ready to submit at the time, so I figured I'd keep an ear open when I got closer.

Sad to hear. Hope they shake out of it. They produced some really nice books.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It's a pretty good response but I am not sure I agree it is all just communication. People are missing payments. Their response doesn't deal with that.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
It's a pretty good response but I am not sure I agree it is all just communication. People are missing payments. Their response doesn't deal with that.

There's also the fact that they wouldn't answer calls from Liz Williams' agent until the agent called from an unlisted number. That's not accidental; that's intentional avoidance.

Still, I hope it all works out; some of the affected authors are acquaintances of mine.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
They did address the issue of royalties and selling e-books without having the rights. However, this isn't the first time authors have had problems with them. I'd wait at least a few months to see how well they follow through.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
That's a reasonably detailed mea culpa, which is certainly to their credit, but I'm with egb on Team Wait And See.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Did anyone else get a little uncomfy with the 'we're still learning' part?

Yes and no. The founders are not clueless noobs to publishing. They are, however, just now learning how to manage a rapidly growing company. In that respect, yes, it's unsettling.

What troubles me even more is that authors reported problems several months ago. NS issued an apology. Now we see that they didn't actually fix those problems. Worse, they continued to play ostrich until they got more bad publicity.

So....it might be wise to hold off on dealing with them until they show a *consistently* better track record.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Any new information on this publisher? I just downloaded Phil & Kaja Foglio's Agatha book and noticed the publisher's name. They've got some smokin' hot releases that I'm putting on my wish list, but how are they doing for their authors seven months later?

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Just because these things aren't said too often...

I just thought I'd swing through and drop a line to let people know that I've been working with Nightshade for over a year on the Dogsland trilogy, and everything is fine. I've had a responsive editorial staff, and no problems with payments or contract issues at this time.

Thumbs up from me.

Just thought I'd swing through and mention it, because often times these things aren't said enough.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I know Jeremy Lassen of Nightshade, and although I've never had business dealings with him or the company, he's always struck me as a stand-up guy, smart, honest and decent, for whatever that's worth.

Paz

{insert something witty here}
Registered
Reaction score
Any updates on this publisher? Anyone with some personal experience they'd like to share?

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Maybe it's just me, but I would wait a while longer to see before submitting to them.

But that's not from personal experience. Maybe some NS authors would like to give an update?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I noticed that NS's probationary period levied on them from SFWA was lifted. Hope that's a good sign for their future, and that of their authors.
Sadly, there's been more rumbling again recently about nightshade, from numerous authors, esp in terms of payment problems.

Not a good sign. They seem to be slipping back into troubled waters.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Nightshade Books

I received an e-mail asking me to write a blurb for a book coming out from Nightshade Books.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about them, and the internet hasn't been too useful.

Does anyone know anything about them?

Thanks.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Assuminig you're talking about Night Shade Books, the reason you're not finding anything is that you've misspelled the publisher's name. There is a plethora of information online about Night Shade Books, being as how there were some significant problems a few years ago that they're still trying to work out.

The thread is here.

Last edited by a moderator: