General anime discussion thread

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Steins;Gate: One more episode left. Not sure I get how the solution's supposed to work, but... El. Psy. Congroo.

Chumala

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished chobits, it was pretty good.

Moving onto Dragonauts (spelled that wrong). I have high hopes for this, however the art style is different, but ok. :)

Oh yeah..... SHE TURNED INTO A FLIPPING DRAGON I WANTS A GIRLFRIEND WHO TURNS INTO A DRAGON!!!!

Damn human girls, with their not dragonness. :(

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Actually I think I'll wait and watch the two last episodes in a row.

That might have been a good idea. I can't wait for next week, yet I have to.

@Chumala: I watched the first episode of Dragonaut, or maybe half an episode, as I didn't get to see a dragon transformation before I quit. It's one of the most bashed shows, and from the little I've seen I thought it didn't deserve that much hate. I stopped watching because of issues with the streaming source, not because of the show itself. I didn't look for a different streaming source... because of the show itself. My impression is: the show is over-hated, but not necessarily underrated...

Speaking of dragon girlfriends - I did watch Dragon Crisis. I wish I hadn't... It does have a nice OP, though.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Moving onto Dragonauts (spelled that wrong). I have high hopes for this, however the art style is different, but ok. :)

Oh yeah..... SHE TURNED INTO A FLIPPING DRAGON I WANTS A GIRLFRIEND WHO TURNS INTO A DRAGON!!!!

Damn human girls, with their not dragonness. :(
If you like girlfriends turning into dragons, maybe you'd like the anime movie *spoiler*: Tales From Earthsea (Gedo Senki)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
HOLY FUCK YES.

Forgot about checking for updates a while back. This was a nice surprise. NOM.

Give me some more eye patched Asuka, Khara! Don't disappoint me, Anno!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
A member of [Doki] on The iDOLM@STER:

I want Makoto to hold me in her arms and tell me that everything will be all right. Having Makoto’s firm arms around me would make me feel like a completely safe and content little girl. I want Makoto to get in a fight to defend my honor. I want Makoto to pick me up and carry me over the threshold. I wish to be Makoto’s wife. Makoto would treat me right. When I see Makoto, I feel like a maiden in love for the first time.

(I am male)

I know how you feel, Blick. I know how you feel.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Say whaaaaaa?

Penguin Drum, I suppose? (Only seen the first ep of Utena, so I can't be sure...)

Also, quite a few of the relationships in Durarara scare me. Anyone else feel that way?

I thought most were quirky but okay. The plastic-surgery based one though...

@Idolmaster (-Makoto):

Aw, she'd love you so much more if you complimented her on her feminine side.

Me, I'd go for Hibiki, but I'm worried that Hamzou is the jealous sort...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
@Idolmaster (-Makoto):

Aw, she'd love you so much more if you complimented her on her feminine side.

There's nothing more attractive to me than a woman who can exude femininity without being stereotypically feminine. Kanbaru Suruga also comes to mind. Though Senjougahara's tsun still gives her the edge.

Cai

fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
So, is someone still watching No.6?
I'm so happy it finally picked up pace with ep 09 & 10. I like Nezumi and Shion but that was really a whole lot of talking. (Especially for someone who's constantly ranting about bringing down the city ...! Come on, DO something!)
I'm excited for the final episode.

(And Steins;Gate? Awesome.)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
So, is someone still watching No.6?
I'm so happy it finally picked up pace with ep 09 & 10. I like Nezumi and Shion but that was really a whole lot of talking. (Especially for someone who's constantly ranting about bringing down the city ...! Come on, DO something!)
I'm excited for the final episode.

Yup. Me too.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Man-Utena sighted!
I think the character was more like Touga or Akio.

At last an episode about Himari! I've been waiting for this. But what's with elevators and bishounens hiding in the cellar?

I knew there was something with the subway girls!

This was my favourite episode.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I think the character was more like Touga or Akio.

At last an episode about Himari! I've been waiting for this. But what's with elevators and bishounens hiding in the cellar?

I knew there was something with the subway girls!

This was my favourite episode.

Whatever. Dude has big pink hair.

But yeah. Good episode.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
There is nothing right with the world if DaikichixYukari doesn't happen.

ETA: Usagi Drop reminds me I really ought to give Honey and Clover another chance. I think the last time I watched it I just wasn't in the josei mood. I also intend to watch Nodame Cantabile one of these days if I can find a version that doesn't use burnt-in subtitles. Seriously, anyone know if this exists? I refuse to watch anything hard-subbed. Bah!

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I've now watched the first three episodes of Maria Sama ("Cinderella ark"), and I already know I'm going to watch the rest. The show's social politics are obvious from the start. It's interesting to see the concept of "purity" come through in the imagery (white lilies being often associated with Mary's Immaculate Conception - which means Mary's untainted by Original Sin). Run this through a Japanese dichotomy of in-group/out-group, and you get interesting scenes, such as Yumi finding Sachiko in the gym (where they're going to rehearse for the play):

Yumi: *sits down.*
Sachiko: You're going to get your dress dirty.
Yumi: What about you?
Sachiko: I only just thought of it.
Yumi, Sachiko: *giggle*

This exchange is paradigmatic for the show so far (first three episodes): you have to test the ground and see who you can trust. Only the virgin herself is immaculate, but you can't reveal your "taints" just to anyone.

It's interesting to see Yumi's initiate status and how they all treat her. She's still pretty straightforward (as evidenced by her having the hugest eyes); I wonder how she'll change. First signs are already present.

Certainly a very interesting show. Only one complaint, so far, and not a big one: while I generally like the music (and sometimes it's really beautiful), I'd sometimes like it a tad less dramatic, a bit more subtle. The soundtrack sometimes takes over in a way I feel it shouldn't.

@Honey and Cover: I've seen the first episode once, and then didn't want to see rest. I can't remember why. Maybe I, too, should try again some day.

Can't help you finding downloads with "soft subs". I exclusively stream my anime, and I never paid any attention to how they're subbed. Nodama Cantabile sounds interesting. I'd like to see a good music anime sometime (after I quit on La Corda d'Oro).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I've now watched the first three episodes of Maria Sama ("Cinderella ark"), and I already know I'm going to watch the rest. The show's social politics are obvious from the start. It's interesting to see the concept of "purity" come through in the imagery (white lilies being often associated with Mary's Immaculate Conception - which means Mary's untainted by Original Sin). Run this through a Japanese dichotomy of in-group/out-group, and you get interesting scenes, such as Yumi finding Sachiko in the gym (where they're going to rehearse for the play):

This exchange is paradigmatic for the show so far (first three episodes): you have to test the ground and see who you can trust. Only the virgin herself is immaculate, but you can't reveal your "taints" just to anyone.

It's interesting to see Yumi's initiate status and how they all treat her. She's still pretty straightforward (as evidenced by her having the hugest eyes); I wonder how she'll change. First signs are already present.

Certainly a very interesting show. Only one complaint, so far, and not a big one: while I generally like the music (and sometimes it's really beautiful), I'd sometimes like it a tad less dramatic, a bit more subtle. The soundtrack sometimes takes over in a way I feel it shouldn't.

Women are too complicated.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Usagi Drop reminds me I really ought to give Honey and Clover another chance. I think the last time I watched it I just wasn't in the josei mood. I also intend to watch Nodame Cantabile one of these days if I can find a version that doesn't use burnt-in subtitles.
Some time ago I began on both Honey and Nodame, but I didn't get hooked on either. I didn't think they were bad though. Maybe I'll also look at them again some year.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
That's the saviour path. The fun thing is that - in Christianity - this isn't a path open to every man. You - a Christian - are not supposed to try and be Christ. You're supposed to accept his sacrifice with gratitude and humility.

There is a path to sacrifice yourself for your belief: the martyr.

The fun thing is this: as soon as you abandon chosen-one talk, as soon as you take the duality of divinity and humanity out of Jesus' sacrifice, you transform it into an achievement rather than a divine gift. And if everyone can achieve this, you really have more a path to enlightenment.
Thank you for pointing out the difference between saviours and martyrs. I hadn't thought about that. Actually I think this is rather common in fiction, with one hero that is a saviour, and supporting characters (e.g. a mentor or friend) that also sacrifices their lives, but for temporary gains like giving others time to escape.

Some would think that sacrificing ones life to save others would be an achievement in itself even if there is no reward. Though since most major religions include an afterlife, I guess it is easy for their followers to believe that a hero would be rewarded in their next form of existence.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score

That's interesting. I didn't think so much about the theme of purity, but I agree that it seems to be emphasized many times. I didn't think much about that dialogue either, though it clearly could be interpreted as alluding to sex or sin, or that Yumi would be infected with sin when hanging out with Sachiko. Though I don't see what Sachiko's dirty skirt would point to. She may have some flaws and secrets, but nothing that is easily symbolized with a dirty skirt. On the symbolic level maybe the writer made a mistake here.

How do you mean that the gym dialogue is an example of in-group/out-group?

I wonder if not Yumi is one of the most pure characters in the series, in the having a pure heart sense.

When it comes to lilies, I was not previously aware that they were connected to Mary, so I thought that in the series they were a symbol for lesbians. At least the writer must have been aware of that.

Another thing that I did think about is the rule about walking slowly. Every time we see someone running it seems to mean something.

Yes, there are differences in how e.g. Sachiko, Sei, and Shimako treat her in the first episode. In the beginning it seems that Shimako is the one who is most nice to Yumi, and who takes her side the most. I find it interesting that she somewhat breaks my expectations of her, because most often those seemingly nice characters are often shy and timid, but Shimako shows some initiative, e.g. when she drags Yumi out of the classroom to avoid the journalist.

How do you mean Yumi changed? I've had a hard time tracking the changes in her, except for her becoming more comfortable around the others.

I didn't notice that, but I'll watch out for overly dramatic music next time I watch an episode. Yes there is some beautiful music. Maybe not many tunes that are so catchy that they stand on their own. By the way, there is one tune that reminds a lot of that tune from Amelie from Montmartre (Comptine d'Un Autre Été).

Hm, I've been daydreaming some. What I'd like to see is a season with the same characters put under more pressure, like being thrown into the wilderness, fleeing from a war, or a zombie apocalypse. It would be interesting to see how they would react and cooperate.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't think much about that dialogue either, though it clearly could be interpreted as alluding to sex or sin, or that Yumi would be infected with sin when hanging out with Sachiko. Though I don't see what Sachiko's dirty skirt would point to. She may have some flaws and secrets, but nothing that is easily symbolized with a dirty skirt. On the symbolic level maybe the writer made a mistake here.

How do you mean that the gym dialogue is an example of in-group/out-group?

Well, first off, the dirty skirt would primarily be a dirty skirt. Only on a social level, and only as an outside sign, would it mean something else, and it wouldn't mean much else than that Sachiko not taking care of her skirt. That is unbecoming to a student of the Lilian Academy, and especially unbecoming of a member of the Yamayurikai. The school's imagery kicks that up one notch and connects it to "purity"; but that's abstract at that point, and I'm not sure how relevant it's going to become. So far, it's setting-potential. Nothing more.

Also, Sachiko is not infecting Yumi with sin. Being infected with sin is the human condition (original sin). This is about how you behave in public. At that point Yumi is not yet Sachiko's soeur, but the issue is on the plate. That's a delicate sitiuation, hovering between in-Yamayurikai and out-Yamarukai. Both are in-Lilian. Both are expected to be tidy. There is precedence between the two, the photo that kicked off the entire series of events. Here Sachiko was acting in touch with the expected behaviour, socially, but was more familiar than expected. This scene, on the surface, is the opposite:

Yumi: *sits down*

At this moment Sachiko realises that she's failed her official role as a role model. By following her example, Yumi is getting her skirt dirty. People will notice.

Sachiko: You're getting your skirt dirty.

So she's taking responsibility. At least on the surface of it. At that point the scene can go two ways, and it's Yumi's choice. Scenario one: Yumi gets up, and bows with a "Sumimazen Deshita," and tactfully ignores Sachiko sitting herself. (I suppose Sachiko would then have to get up, too, but I'm not sure.) Or, scenario two:

This is only possible because of their personal relationship. That would have been quite rude, even if justified, if they weren't on semi-familiar terms beforehand. It's quite clear to Sachiko, that Yumi being Yumi this is not a snide comeback, but an instance of bonding, of caring. I'm doing it and you're doing it. We're doing it together. Should we be keeping up appearance, or might we be excused in this rather stressful situation?

Open and honest. Think back to how she handled the girl from the newspaper club, and you'll see how important this is. You don't give that sort of information to just anyone, no matter how obvious it is. And this wasn't exactly obvious.

Relief. Bonding successfully established. This prepares the later scene at the glass house.

I wonder if not Yumi is one of the most pure characters in the series, in the having a pure heart sense.
Probably. For example, Yumi hits all the right notes in the above exchange because she's being Yumi. She's not playing the same game Sachiko has to play. (Btw, I'm not sure about that yet, but there seems to be also a difference in social status outside the school. Sachiko seems to have a more comprehensive education, and she's also caught in an arranged marriage
[listen to that exchange, and think back to why Yumi initially refused the rosary; quite interesting, no?]. Yumi seems to have had a more common childhood, but I know little at that point - it's pure conjecture.)

When it comes to lilies, I was not previously aware that they were connected to Mary, so I thought that in the series they were a symbol for lesbians. At least the writer must have been aware of that.
The writers were definitely aware of it. The song they played when Yumi accepted Sachiko's rosary in front the Virgin explicitly connected the "white mountain lily" (yamayuri) to Mary. (That and the sapphire [new to me], which is the one that got wondered about. Heh.)

Another thing that I did think about is the rule about walking slowly. Every time we see someone running it seems to mean something.
I think so, too.

How do you mean Yumi changed? I've had a hard time tracking the changes in her, except for her becoming more comfortable around the others.
She didn't change. There were just signs that she might. Can go either way. The most obvious scene was when she faced the students who ask her what's going on between her and Sachiko, and she's playing the what-would-Sachiko say game, but breaks down and cries instead. No change, but change potential. And if she doesn't change that's interesting in itself - because she's now part of the Yamayurikai and would be expected to control herself better.

I didn't notice that, but I'll watch out for overly dramatic music next time I watch an episode.
Heh. If you didn't notice that, I'd say it worked for you.

Hm, I've been daydreaming some. What I'd like to see is a season with the same characters put under more pressure, like being thrown into the wilderness, fleeing from a war, or a zombie apocalypse. It would be interesting to see how they would react and cooperate.
Heh. That would be interesting. But I've still got plenty of regular episodes ahead of me. I ain't seen nothing yet. ;)

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Now I understand your analysis of the gym scene, and I agree completely.

Probably. For example, Yumi hits all the right notes in the above exchange because she's being Yumi. She's not playing the same game Sachiko has to play. (Btw, I'm not sure about that yet, but there seems to be also a difference in social status outside the school. Sachiko seems to have a more comprehensive education, and she's also caught in an arranged marriage
[listen to that exchange, and think back to why Yumi initially refused the rosary; quite interesting, no?].
Yumi's refusal of the offer is very interesting, yes, also because it's the first time she acts independently and shows some strength.

The writers were definitely aware of it. The song they played when Yumi accepted Sachiko's rosary in front the Virgin explicitly connected the "white mountain lily" (yamayuri) to Mary. (That and the sapphire [new to me], which is the one that got wondered about. Heh.)
That scene felt off. Why would she question such a thing, considering that sapphires are also beautiful? Also, like other jewelery, they have some symbolism. I looked it up on the Internet, but the sources said different things, so I'm not sure what a sapphire is a symbol of.

She didn't change. There were just signs that she might. Can go either way. The most obvious scene was when she faced the students who ask her what's going on between her and Sachiko, and she's playing the what-would-Sachiko say game, but breaks down and cries instead. No change, but change potential. And if she doesn't change that's interesting in itself - because she's now part of the Yamayurikai and would be expected to control herself better.
That was a very good scene by the way, with Yumi trying to be like Sachiko. Yumi probably changes during the series, but in an imperceptible way so that I had difficulties of finding examples of it, except for one.

Please continue to give us more analyses if you find out something interesting.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
That scene felt off. Why would she question such a thing, considering that sapphires are also beautiful?

Well, wearing gems tends to signify vanity rather than purity. That's one take on it. *Shrug* I thought the content wasn't that important. It was mostly a distraction thought to keep her from being too nervous.

Steins;Gate, the end. A nice wrap-up episode. They didn't actually bungle it, but last episode was really the highlight of the ending. Among my top 4 this year:

Mahou Shoujou Madoka Magica
Hourou Musuko
Usagi Drop
Steins;Gate

Hopefully another will appear to make it a top 5, but these are - so far and to me - the masterpieces of the year.