General anime discussion thread

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
I wish Moeka could come back to the group, because she is cool. Though I'm not sure Okabe Rintaro would like that.

Does anyone else believe that FB sends messages to Moeka from the future? Maybe it's Makise Kurisu, or Feyris, since we agreed that she could become a chessmaster.

I just saw on Wikipedia that Steins;Gate is also a visual novel.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
How so? You mean the wrestling with Moeka? That was exhausting and scary.

That wrestling scene was pretty intense, and Okabe with his back to the door and a screaming Moeka was... not relaxing either. This woman is intense (and it's not a surprise).

wish Moeka could come back to the group, because she is cool. Though I'm not sure Okabe Rintaro would like that.

Does anyone else believe that FB sends messages to Moeka from the future? Maybe it's Makise Kurisu, or Feyris, since we agreed that she could become a chessmaster.
There's a theory I've read somewhere that FB = (Karl) Ferdinand Braun - inventer of the Braun tube and origin of a certain nickname... It's the most convincing theory I've encountered (perfect surveillence, see?) At any rate, it's more convincing than Facebook (although that would have its own ironies in the light of this episode).

just saw on Wikipedia that Steins;Gate is also a visual novel.
Yes. The Okabe-Ruka-Baby pic I posted above is Ruka's ending from the game.

Chumala

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea if I should post this, however a question is lingering on my mind and I can't make it go away!!!!

I am currently writing a story with a small girl who is a bit of a bitch (bad word :O) to her male counterpart. Some betas say its fine; however others say she is really unlikeable.

However I've seen this quite a few times in Anime, take Toradora or zero no tsukaima.

In Zero.... Louise goes as far as beating the boy with a stick and tying him up like a dog.

The sole reason why I loved those two animes were because the main characters were such opposites and the girls were aggressive and not just passive. They voiced their opinions with fists and or whips. :)

So finally my question.... what made Louise so likeable that I continued watching? Did anyone else find Louise to be mean? I didn't.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea if I should post this, however a question is lingering on my mind and I can't make it go away!!!!

I am currently writing a story with a small girl who is a bit of a bitch (bad word :O) to her male counterpart. Some betas say its fine; however others say she is really unlikeable.

However I've seen this quite a few times in Anime, take Toradora or zero no tsukaima.

In Zero.... Louise goes as far as beating the boy with a stick and tying him up like a dog.

The sole reason why I loved those two animes were because the main characters were such opposites and the girls were aggressive and not just passive. They voiced their opinions with fists and or whips. :)

So finally my question.... what made Louise so likeable that I continued watching? Did anyone else find Louise to be mean? I didn't.

I'm not surprised to see you make this post, since you loved Victorique from Gossick, who is the same basic character type (google "tsundere"). These girls (almost always girls) usually fall in love or start to rely on a guy (almost always guys), but they used to be outsiders who had to try extra hard to get on, and they're often socially awkward, so they get confused by that new sort of relationship and see their independence threatened. Beneath that harsh exterior, they're really no different than anyone else, and it's nice to rely on someone else - but admitting that is hard: it threatens the hard-earned independence, and there are feelings of fear (what if I rely too much on him and then he goes away?). There's usually some sort of vulnerability that only that certain boy (or sometimes close friends) really gets to see - and they're punished for that breach, while at the same time they grow closer.

I actually like the type.

Louise didn't particularly stick in my memory. I saw (part of?) the first season of Zero no Tsukaima, and didn't bother with the others. But from what I remember, her main problem was that she wasn't too good at magic, and her fellow students pretty much laughed at her (or ran for their lives when she tried to cast...?) I really can't remember too much; but she certainly wanted to earn respect. Since the guy in this case was the "familiar" she summoned she felt she had to establish that relationship ("It's an honour to serve me"). She didn't do these things out of cruelty. No, I didn't think she was mean; but it's undeniable that she did mean things.

Taiga from Toradora suffered from a mismatch of bodysize and the English meaning of her name, so people started to make fun of her. As a result she developed the temperament of hunted tiger. I love her dearly; she's among my favourites of the type. (And Toradora is great fun, not the least because Ryuji actually holds his own against her.)

Victorique has been locked away for so long that she's now locking herself away. She has trouble trusting people, and when she opens up to Kujo she starts to fear losing him, as the feeling of being able to rely on someone is so precious and rare. It's interesting to see the quality of her abuse develop that way - from playful dismissal to cautious bonding.

There are always those "awwww" moments when they drop their masks for a second or so. Or when they're so obvious in their denial ("It's not like I made this for you!") It's simply an appealing mix of strength and vulnerability. A tag line could be: "You can make it on your own, but - you know - you really don't have to." That's basically the character trajectory of the type.

Works almost always on me, but there are exceptions (I never warmed to Hitagi from Bakemonogatari, for example).

Try Otome Youkai Zakuro.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

I'm a total sucker for tsunderes. Check out the TVTropes page for more examples.

Works almost always on me, but there are exceptions (I never warmed to Hitagi from Bakemonogatari, for example).

I heart Hitagi. And Holo. And Asuka is my waifu.

I think in the West, the best example that everyone can probably identify with is how in second grade, it's the boy who pulls your pigtails and makes you cry, or the girl who pushes you down on the playground and runs away, who is the one that likes you.

I think a couple of key things to keep a tsundere likable to the audience is to give enough hints that she has a deredere side early on, even if you don't show it for a while. It's fine if the other characters are completely (but realistically) oblivious to these hints, but the audience should be able to tell that there's more there. And give the tsundere a good motivation for being so outwardly cold at first. Usually, the more violent the tsundere, the more tragic the backstory, but it can be as simple as being too violently embarrassed to express her true feelings, though you probably won't get away with that for as long as other motivations. And the harsher the tsuntsun, the more gentler and cuter the deredere better be when we finally get to see it. It's the joy of contrasts, yin and yang.

I say "she," but there are male examples as well.

See also: kuudere, yandere.

ETA: Just like maid cafes and manga cafes, Japan actually even has tsundere cafes, where the waitresses act this archetype out with the customers. There are even some CD's sold of nothing but a voice actress reading a script of tsundere lines. (I want one, but it's probably hard to subtitle a CD, right? I've read a transcript or two, though.) For a quick tsundere, take any action done out of kindness, and paste over it "It's not like I ______ for you!"

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
The first episode was hilarious. I got to see this.

"The protagonist of this show is a zombie. Don't try this at home." (Or something like that.)

It's really pretty, too, at times. And I like the way they're using background events on occasion (ex.: epsiode 3).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
This season of Natsume Yuujinchou is definitely my favorite so far. The conflicts actually have some teeth to them this time.

That said, as good as the series is, I'd really like a prequel to it that follows Reiko instead.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if it will be about their relationships developing in school, or if they will like in Clannad stretch it out into family life. Maybe they will show the consequences of the choices made.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Now that came out of nowhere... Maybe they'll give us more arcs? (Manaka arc, anyone? Hibiki?)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Someone on the web had this idea: Miya and 6 guys. I seriously doubt they'll do that, but I'd so watch it. :D

Chumala

Registered
Reaction score
I must say I have fallen in love with the show where there is a girl butler. ALL the characters are so likeable.

I want the guy and the rich girl to end up together.... but we all know he's either going to end up with the butler girl or with no one... :(

Maybe he can have two girls! THEN EVERYONE WINS!!!!

Why must society hate on everyone winning? :(

Also started to watch one episode of that girl vampire one. Where the vampire put a curse on the guy to always remember her. However after the girl died I was like "WTF YOU KILLED OFF THE CUTE GIRL IN THS FIRST ******* EPISODE YOU SON OF A *******" My laptop almost went out the window.... just like after the Tu love ending.... >.>

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I must say I have fallen in love with the show where there is a girl butler. ALL the characters are so likeable.

I want the guy and the rich girl to end up together.... but we all know he's either going to end up with the butler girl or with no one... :(

Mayo Chiki? It's cute. My money is on "no-one". They'll want to leave themselves a loophole for season 2. (Or, wait, is that show based on something? A light novel? A game?)

Also started to watch one episode of that girl vampire one. Where the vampire put a curse on the guy to always remember her. However after the girl died I was like "WTF YOU KILLED OFF THE CUTE GIRL IN THS FIRST ******* EPISODE YOU SON OF A *******" My laptop almost went out the window.... just like after the Tu love ending.... >.>

Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi? I watched about five minutes before I quit. Not enough to pass judgement, but it didn't appeal to me at all. Looked sort of cheesy.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Mayo Chiki? It's cute. My money is on "no-one". They'll want to leave themselves a loophole for season 2. (Or, wait, is that show based on something? A light novel? A game?)

They're almost always based on something. This one's a light novel. When it's an anime, you'll know it. That's part of what makes series like Star Driver, Madoka, Sora no Woto, etc., so special.

I'm enjoying Mayo Chiki! too except for that one early episode with her father pretending to kidnap the rich girl. That was just way too out there compared to the rest of the show. Everything else has been fun, though. But I still want to know what the heck is up with those ears on the warm fan club president.

In other news, while I liked the concept of Kamisama no Memochou to begin with, its unrelenting focus on the yakuza angle is getting annoying to me. I started watching this for the loli detective NEET computer nerd, dammit! I know the loll detective character is really getting played out these last two seasons, but a loll NEET computer nerd? I've seen it before, but I can't recall such a character actually being thoroughly fleshed out since something like Lain, so I was really hoping they'd go somewhere with Alice, but so far, she's just been a deus ex machina plot device. Gah!

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm enjoying Mayo Chiki! too except for that one early episode with her father pretending to kidnap the rich girl. That was just way too out there compared to the rest of the show. Everything else has been fun, though. But I still want to know what the heck is up with those ears on the warm fan club president.

I also want to know... Is that a zombie sheep?

In other news, while I liked the concept of Kamisama no Memochou to begin with, its unrelenting focus on the yakuza angle is getting annoying to me. I started watching this for the loli detective NEET computer nerd, dammit! I know the loll detective character is really getting played out these last two seasons, but a loll NEET computer nerd? I've seen it before, but I can't recall such a character actually being thoroughly fleshed out since something like Lain, so I was really hoping they'd go somewhere with Alice, but so far, she's just been a deus ex machina plot device. Gah!

Sadly, I agree. It's a pity, as I really like the animation and character design. But the characters just fall flat, and the stories aren't interesting. I prefer Dentalian no Shoka. I like the episodic approach, so if some stories fail, it doesn't matter too much.

Chumala

Registered
Reaction score
I also want to know... Is that a zombie sheep?

QUOTE]

I love the sheep!!! It's what makes the butler girl sooo adorable. :p

However her being a man all the time is ruining the mood! I demands more action! NAO!

If it can end like maid-sama.... where they kiss I would be overjoyed. However all that talk of "He's my friend" makes me want to stab my eyes out. :(

imageumr.jpg

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Chumala

Registered
Reaction score
What's wrong with some cross-dressing action? Nothing hotter than het yaoi.

Nothing wrong with it, but she doesn't even do anything... to progress their relationship! Almost always when she's dressed as a girl they progress their relationship! But I'm just getting my hopes up. :(

What was that show...? Kampher? That's some hot gunslingin' cross dressing action right there. I ADORED the school president.... she was so forceful with him. Bwahahahahahahahahaha

(.)(.)
(o_O)
(||)(||)
BUNNEH!!!!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
What was that show...? Kampher? That's some hot gunslingin' cross dressing action right there. I ADORED the school president.... she was so forceful with him.

That show... good lord, I'm ashamed to say I enjoyed watching it when it was so bad.