Do I need to purchase the rights?

Hilary1

Registered
Reaction score
I am intending on transcribing a film into a short film that I'd like to produce. As it will be non-profit (aside from entry into the event where I screen it, the profits of which will go to my university's drama department), do I need to buy the rights?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I am intending on transcribing a film into a short film that I'd like to produce. As it will be non-profit (aside from entry into the event where I screen it, the profits of which will go to my university's drama department), do I need to buy the rights?

I think you almost certainly do, yes. I'm not sure what you mean by 'transcribing' - remaking? - but it sounds like you'd be making a derivative work of some kind and if the original work is in copyright you would need to get permission. Try the permissions department of the studio that made the film.

The profit/non-profit side of things is immaterial to copyright infringement, as far as I know. (But I Am Not A Lawyer.)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a produced film, you could also run into potential trademark issues with the characters and such. Some studios won't even allow you to show a produced film without permission, much less use it for personal projects.

(btw - transcribe is an odd way of saying what I think you're trying to say. Usually, a transcription means a word-for-word written record of the dialogue/script, not converting something into a short-form. And there are plenty of studios and prod. cos. that restrict public display of even written transcripts. That's why it's so hard to find many of them online, even for those with hearing impairments who might like a written version of what they watch.)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You always need to get the rights to anything and everything that under copyright or trademark protection. Being nonprofit changes nothing.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm not exactly sure what this means either. Adapting a full-length movie into a short film? If it was for your own use, for educational purposes, then who's to know, who's to tell? But it sounds as if you're going wider than that, so I'd advise that you shouldn't without the correct permissions (which you might never obtain), and whoever's in charge of your uni's drama dept. might well think the same way, too (or should).

-Derek

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

I don't exactly get the transcribing either but the non-profit (oh, aside from entry into a PUBLIC event in which you intend to screen it), isn't your issue.

You need permissions from every possible entity involved, which may include buying the rights, paying the writer(s), etc., etc. You need to contact the rights holder and likely the relevant unions. Your university will surely demand proof of permission before they'd let it see the light of day.

Hilary1

Registered
Reaction score
What if I performed it at my university, without charging anyone for entry of anything? Would this infringe upon rights?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure showing it in a venue beyond a classroom makes it no longer an educational project.

But it sounds to me like you'd be wise to find something original for which you have the rights.

Maryn, not wanting you to take risks--at least see an attorney

Interrobang

Registered
Reaction score
Transcribing a film into a short film? Do you mean you're condensing an existing work in some way?

Do a Google on 'fair use' and see if it covers what you're thinking of doing. If it was not done for profit it would certainly support a 'fair use' argument.