• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Wild Child Publishing / Freya's Bower

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
S.R.Howen (I forget her user name) has been a member of AW for a long time. Up to a few years ago, wildchildpublishing was an ezine. I had one of my short stories pubbed with them, and they were great to work with. So that might be a good indication of how they are with their ebooks.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
They're a fantastic ebook publisher. Wonderful editors, very enthusiastic. If you want to get into ebook publishing, you can't go wrong with them. :)

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I had a non-fic with the zine a couple of years ago--won the best of for the issue.

They've turned entirely to ebooks and some printed now. Marci Baun is the editor-in-chief.

They have horror, romance, literary, and some off-the-wall stuff. I know one of the editors as a cyber-friend and she's totally wonderful. She's also a good, vicious editor. You don't get away with anything.

I'd highly recommend them if you want a legitimate credit, although some say ebooks don't hack it. A horror anthology I have stories in is quite close to hitting the print mark for sales (100 copies). I'll be happy when it does so I can get the book for my shelf. Title "Weirdly".

AppleTree76

Registered
Reaction score
Wild Child Publishing

Does anyone know anything about Wild Child Publishing out of California?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I have a short story coming out in a Wild Child anthology. The editor has been very efficient (though there have ben some minor issues over her punctuation preferences).
Drajonjax used to be an editor with them.

bookgirl71

Registered
Reaction score
Wild Child Publishing

hey everyone,

Just doing some research. Anyone have any current experience with Wild Child Publishing?

I understand they are epublishers but how many of their books go to print? Do you have to have X amount of $ in ebook sales before printing is allowed?

How do they compare to The Wild Rose Press and if you have to choose one over the other - which?

Thanks!

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I understand they are epublishers but how many of their books go to print? Do you have to have X amount of $ in ebook sales before printing is allowed?

Why not ask them yourself? They're perfectly reasonable questions.

How do they compare to The Wild Rose Press and if you have to choose one over the other - which?

That depends what you want to get published. Every publisher has different genre preferences.

For my preference I tell new writers to ALWAYS start at the top of the advance-paying print publishers and work their way down. There's plenty of them.

If not them, then I'd be shopping for an agent and writing my next book during the process.

A non-advance paying venue should be your last choice as a professional writer.

As for Wild Child--I notice they have identical covers on two different horror titles.

Sloppy. Very sloppy.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I notice they mention a royalty rate. You have to ask if that's on the cover price or the net. If the latter, how do they calculate the net?

10% on the cover beats 10% on the net any day.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
As for Wild Child--I notice they have identical covers on two different horror titles.

Sloppy. Very sloppy.

Actually, I think this may be on purpose. They are both short stories, and "VAMPIRES" is printed at the top of each cover. I suspect they are part of a series.

I just had a romance released by Wild Child (yesterday!). It is my understanding that you must sell 200 e-books and your word count must be over 70,000 to go to print.

I think the royalty price is pretty standard for e-books; 40 percent of the list price.

I have no complaints with Wild Child. Marci Baun, the owner and publisher, actually did the edits on my book. We worked well together, and we are both pleased with the result.

I am happy to answer any other questions, either here or by PM.

Carol

ETA: Yes, those covers are the same on purpose. I asked Marci.

Last edited:

bookgirl71

Registered
Reaction score
Wild Child Press

yes, you need to sell 200 ebooks. If your word count is below 70k they invite you to write a novella/second book to go with the first to make up the word count and it can take a year before your book goes to print. Seems like the printed versions of your book would only be available online.
anyone have any luck seeing a book published by them on a shelf? I think I remember seeing a thread that said B&N or Borders did have some, but I can't remember where I read it.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
Hi guys, I have a bit of a question here. Would you consider Wild Child a legitimate publishing credit? One that might give you a leg up in the future when you query other publishers or Agents? Anyone have any experience in this respect?

Are any of their books distributed to bricks and mortar stores?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From what little I know:
- Wild Child is primarily an e-publisher.
- Wild Child's erotica imprint is Freya's Bower.
- With e-presses, erotica is usually the best-selling genre.
- Veinglory's EREC site lists average first-month sales for erotica e-publishers and shows Ellora's Cave at 776 copies, Samhain at 275 copies, Changeling at 155 copies, and Freya's Bower at 9 copies.

Connecting the dots, then, a best-selling Wild Child book will do about 1/100 as well as an Ellora's Cave book. While they are no doubt a legitimate publisher (that is, the're not a scam) I don't think they're in the same league as EC and Samhain.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I tossed my ghost UF out there to about a dozen small press houses. I just received a contract from Wild Child. After reading this thread, I'm going to refuse. Besides, my new agent said she especially liked this title, and it might be my lead-off. I never sent it out to any of the larger or even print small press houses. (was waiting to connect up with a new agent).

Besides, I'm seeing more and more e-book publishers that are so typically "author-millish" that I think I'm scatching them off my list from here on out.

There is a plus in this: somebody read it and liked it. That's about all.

Tri

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thought better of it.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Since this isn't a self-publishing problem but one with your former publisher, I'm merging it into their thread.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Amazon always matches their prices to the lowest selling price, and they're notoriously slow about getting their OP titles listed, so I'm not too surprised your book is still selling under your publisher's imprint. Of course, your publisher owes you royalties for any sales they collect. I'd keep an eye on it and request that your previous publisher continue to hound Amazon about removing your title under their imprint.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Mostly ebooks. Been around awhile. Call themselves 'literary' but look mainstream. Any word?

http://wildchildpublishing.com/

My ebook Waking the Witch is an erotic romance with the romance branch of their publishing company called Freya's Bower. I'm surprised I can't find a separate thread here for Freya's Bower.
People have told me they thought it was accepted by Freya's Bower because Waking the Witch is slightly more literary than your average erotic romance.
I would say FB is romance/erotic romance with just a slightly more literary quality to them.

Last edited: