Talk about the kidlit you're reading!

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Feeling? How can books be about feelings? -Do you mean like getting kicked in the shin, that kind of feelings? ;)

Last edited:

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Feeling? How can books be about feelings? -Do you mean like getting kicked in the shin, that kind of feelings? ;)

:ROFL:You guys crack me up!

I know we're supposed to be talking about kid lit, but I just read the best YA--Secrets of Truth and Beauty by Megan Frazer. It grabbed me from the first page and never let go. I read it in one day. I finished it, then tossed it in the back seat when I picked up my 18-y-o daughter from dance yesterday. She picked it up, started reading, and finished it today.

Emma's somewhat random analysis: "I LOVED it. I don't even know why, because the plot sounds really boring if you describe it. But it was great. And I love that there are goats." Then we had to look up sound clips of songs by Mama Cass (whom she claims to have never heard!)

Maybe somebody more objective will read it and tell me why it's so good.

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
My godson loved the Ranger's Apprentice books, but I own the first and had to force myself to finish it. Good luck with them though :) You may end up liking them.

ETA: I heart Mama Cass :'-)

Last edited:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Young girls are coming to the canyon...
And in the morning I can see them walking
I can no longer keep my blinds drawn
And I can't keep myself from talking..

(major Mama Cass fan over here. Gotta read that book!)

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the first book in the Overlander Chronicles. It was very enjoyable and it was really easy to read it. The pacing was solid and the cast of characters was wicked (my favorite being Ripred, even though I can't quite remember how to write his name.) The only thing is I'm not huge on prophecy stories but even so, this was still very enjoyable.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Young girls are coming to the canyon...
And in the morning I can see them walking
I can no longer keep my blinds drawn
And I can't keep myself from talking..

(major Mama Cass fan over here. Gotta read that book!)

You totally have to read it. Let me know what you think.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the first book in the Overlander Chronicles. It was very enjoyable and it was really easy to read it. The pacing was solid and the cast of characters was wicked (my favorite being Ripred, even though I can't quite remember how to write his name.) The only thing is I'm not huge on prophecy stories but even so, this was still very enjoyable.

Looks like I'm going to have to read this one. My oldest son (the one who recently moved out) texted me a few days ago, out of the blue, to ask if I had read Gregor the Overlander. When I said no, he said, "You should."

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I read the first Gregor book, and I guess I felt it was just okay. The problem, I think, is that my brother had just gotten back from a writer's workshop in Lake Tahoe, and one thing he told me stuck in my brain. Anne Lamott had said to them - "always know where the light comes from," or something like that. So, I'm reading about an underground city and wondering the whole time - where is the light coming from? It's a picky little point, but it bugged me. Much like the giant cockroaches.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I read the first Gregor book, and I guess I felt it was just okay. The problem, I think, is that my brother had just gotten back from a writer's workshop in Lake Tahoe, and one thing he told me stuck in my brain. Anne Lamott had said to them - "always know where the light comes from," or something like that. So, I'm reading about an underground city and wondering the whole time - where is the light coming from? It's a picky little point, but it bugged me. Much like the giant cockroaches.

Nice :roll:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Gregor was one of the books that turned my older son from, I guess I could read something, if I have to... into Mom, the next book in the series just came out. Can I get it?

So I have only good things to say about it.

(p.s. if you're curious, the other ones were Lightning Thief and Eragon.)

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I'm a huuuuuge fan of Gregor. I tore through all five, straight through, when I was first starting to read a lot of middle grade as an adult. I think they're amazing. (And I love the giant cockroaches.)

Sheila, are you talking about the literal light? (I mean, I know Lamott wasn't, but what you're saying bugged you was wondering where the light literally came from? I could swear she addresses that, but I can't remember what the answer is ...)

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Joy - yes, I meant the literal light. Lamott was talking about setting a scene, so she meant it literally as well. She said something like: The first thing you have to think about is when picturing a scene is - where is the light coming from? What does it look like? Is it the bright sun of noon? What do the shadows look like? Light does so many things that we take for granted. And yes, Collins does mention the light source. But I remember wondering a couple times - well, we're in the tunnels, where's the light coming from now? Or when I knew they had a weak light source, and they were seeing things that were far away.

It's been a while, and I still have the book, so maybe I'll take another look. I'm always a fan of books that turn kids into avid readers. Percy Jackson did that for my son, who gobbled up everything Mythology-related after reading them.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Alice in Blunderland and really liking it so far. It's my first Alice book, although I'm sure I've read at least one other book by Phyllis Naylor.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'd forgotten about the Alice books. I'd like to read more of them.

And apparently I trust the opinions of the folks here, because I am reading--and, yes, enjoying--a book that involves giant cockroaches. ;)

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I LOVED Alice in Blunderland. Laughed out loud a few times, and I played the same Tarzan games with the boy next door to me - he wasn't Donald, he was Ronald. Weird! I thought a few times that this lady had written my life.

But we never tried the kissing thing, honest. We weren't that kind of friends. More the, "Get out of my yard or I'll tell Susan that you like her". Which was a very effective threat.

I tried reading Wringer last night, but had to stop. I just don't think I have it in me to read that book.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I just started Stargirl.

I can't identify with the 'sameness' concept at that age, because thankfully my high school was one that encouraged individuality and expression. But, I keep recalling certain individuals, especially one girl who most definitely marched to her own drum.

So far, love it, although it's making me feel sad.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
More charming awesomeness:

RULES by Cynthia Lord.

Read it straight through while sitting on the patio hugging my puppies. Life is good.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
More charming awesomeness:

RULES by Cynthia Lord.

Read it straight through while sitting on the patio hugging my puppies. Life is good.

Oh, I loved Rules. It is one of those stories that stays with you.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Put me down as being extremely meh on Rules. I liked Touch Blue way more.