The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
reph said:
If that's the explanation, why does the original post say "He died at 12:38 AM...this morning"? "This noon" or "this afternoon" would be the natural phrase.

The thread now says it was PM instead of AM. Claiming it was an accident.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Change of subject

Renee Bagley said:
Either way I'm not going to continue talking about a possibly dead person. Too creepy!
You know what I want to talk about?

Diana's interview.

I wanna know when we'll get to hear/read/watch it! What network, what paper? Do we get any juicy hints about the content or must we languish in suspense?

Whee, that spec-u-la-a-ation is making me wait... :)

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
NicoleJLeBoeuf said:
You know what I want to talk about?

Diana's interview.

I wanna know when we'll get to hear/read/watch it! What network, what paper? Do we get any juicy hints about the content or must we languish in suspense?

Whee, that spec-u-la-a-ation is making me wait... :)

That's right, Nicole, Diana's interview is a much better topic to converse about. I'm sure it went very well! Good luck, Diana!
:Sun:

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Renee Bagley said:
The thread now says it was PM instead of AM. Claiming it was an accident.
I get that. I meant: When the discrepancy about the time of HB's message-boards posts came up, Mrs. HB explained it by saying she intended to write PM, or she should have written PM. In other words, he died during the noon hour. But that isn't consistent with her first report that he died "this morning."

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna should once again be commended for all the work she has done in getting media attention for the PA problem. :Hail:

In the last week, she has arranged tv and print interviews in at least three states! :Clap:

A Stooge may have fallen, but the townhouse is still standing. We need to keep chipping... :Headbang:

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
Copyright

Alphabeter said:
See what they did to our prized author? This is what they'll do to you. You're safe here in the land of Poz. We know whats best for you.

ETA Or I could have just given them a really great idea in which case I am copyrighting the idea and I will get my lawyer in New York to sue them if they put it up. They know he exists!

You can't copyright ideas.

C. James

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Alphabeter said:
Jenna should once again be commended for all the work she has done in getting media attention for the PA problem. :Hail:

In the last week, she has arranged tv and print interviews in at least three states! :Clap:

A Stooge may have fallen, but the townhouse is still standing. We need to keep chipping... :Headbang:
Well said and I agree:Thumbs:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I'm thoroughly skeptical. Not even going to speculate yet.

What I do want to say, though, is that this new PA wrinkle is gorgeous. Nonexclusive contracts? Whatever would cause them to do such a thing? Something's going down.

Mem, you're my new hero. Everyone listen to Mem. If you know that you've sold more books than your royalty statement reflects, call the IRS! Keep them on top of this! They have a reason to investigate... if the company isn't reporting sales accurately, you're darn skippy that the IRS is interested.

And way to go, Sparhawk, on doing your research and backing up the B&N letter. Very wise of you!

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Canada James said:
Actually, it says the doctors were downloading music for his daughter.

James
I'm sorry, what kind of hospital was he in? Your head feels like it is going to explode, you can't move or put your chin down toward your chest and you can't see a darn thing....your throwing up from the pain, needles are being put into your spine to see if you have blood in the spine and your downloading music...oh I mean the doctors are downloading music....wow I suppose I could die in a situation like that.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
GAH:) meant someone else and typed you. Chalk it up to a very strange night in the land of POZ.

Sher2 said:
Tina, I haven't gotten my keepsake letter yet. Waaaahhhh. If and when I do get it, though, trust me -- they'll wish they hadn't sent it. I hope you gave 'em an earfull!

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
reph said:
I get that. I meant: When the discrepancy about the time of HB's message-boards posts came up, Mrs. HB explained it by saying she intended to write PM, or she should have written PM. In other words, he died during the noon hour. But that isn't consistent with her first report that he died "this morning."

That's right there's nothing consistent on that thread. I wonder if the story will change a few more times before morning. Probably so...

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alphabeter
See what they did to our prized author? This is what they'll do to you. You're safe here in the land of Poz. We know whats best for you.
ETA Or I could have just given them a really great idea in which case I am copyrighting the idea and I will get my lawyer in New York to sue them if they put it up. They know he exists!

Canada James said:
You can't copyright ideas.

Don't take that tone with me James. I know better than you! I'm an unpublished super author! If I pay my $30 no one can steal anything from my brain. EVER! :guns:

Seriously now, I was being very facetious. PA likes to claim they own a lot of ideas. And when people have threatened to sue them, PA replies that it knows the writer is bluffing because there is no lawyer. :Huh:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Well, I think Alphabeter and Robeiae have the right conclusion. This could be HB's Alanta Nights back at us, and he certainly has been the topic of conversation here lately. I hope I'm wrong. But..

He has his computer in ICU while they're attending to him?

He was violent and hitting people for a couple hours but died in a couple hours?

The time of death is unclear and was mistaken?

Oh well, on another note, who are you, MMo? Would you mind introducing yourself. My mind boggles when we have first posters who jump into the middle of an HB conversation--and it's certainly happened more than once around here. Can anyone speak for MMo? I never gave this person a Newbie Hug.

Tri

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
P.S. Thanks, Joy! I'll keep doing my part... nearly every media source I've contacted thus far is interested. All a matter of finding local interviewees to match them up with. I still need someone near Seattle. Please pass the word to anyone who might be interested.

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
What I do want to say, though, is that this new PA wrinkle is gorgeous. Nonexclusive contracts? Whatever would cause them to do such a thing? Something's going down.

A number of years ago, one of my publishers (a large one with editorial offices in many countries, and that's as far as I want to go in identification right now) redid its boiler-plate contract and sent out letter addenda to its several hundred authors to change their recent contracts to conform to the new (more generous?) boiler-plate.

However -- my contract had been negotiated by a hard-headed, hard-nosed agent, and most of my contract provisions were better than the old boiler plate, and better than the new addenda would give me.

So -- if I signed the contract revision as sent to me, I might get an advantage in one area, but I'd lose my advantage in several other areas.

Needless to say, my hard-headed, hard-nosed agent and I went over that revision with a sharp pencil to keep from giving away anything that I already had.

I'm always suspicious when someone wants to "revise" a contract, especially if I haven't been campaigning for the changes.

Mo

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Alphabeter said:

I agree wholeheartedly!!

Crunchy Frog

Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
I still need someone near Seattle. Please pass the word to anyone who might be interested.

I wish I could help, but I'm not a PA author and don't know anyone who is. What about Canada James? Vancouver, BC is close enough. They get KING5 too, I believe.

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
triceretops said:
Oh well, on another note, who are you, MMo? Would you mind introducing yourself. My mind boggles when we have first posters who jump into the middle of an HB conversation--and it's certainly happened more than once around here. Can anyone speak for MMo? I never gave this person a Newbie Hug. Tri

Hi, Tri -- I've actually been on the board since February, lurking, lurking. A few times I had something to say, but the thread moved faster than I did, and I suddenly had nothing _new_ to add.

I'm a retired writer (yes, some of us can and do retire) and currently work as a freelance copy editor for a fairly well-known genre publisher.

Uncle Jim can speak for me, as can Victoria. Keltora. Maybe Reality Chuck if he remembers me from other venues. Ann Marble. Hmmm. Ann Crispin, maybe, as well as Dave K, because I've corresponded with both of them at Beware and at Preditors, although it has been a couple of years.

I moderate a couple of lists, both private: one for writers of a specific imprint, and one for members of a writers' organization.

I never got caught up by PA, but a few years ago I fell for the start-up comeon of an on-line e-publisher and wound up donating more hours than I could afford to spend helping make someone else a fair amount of money before I noticed that pesky finger writing on the wall in front of me and managed to extricate myself from a couple of contracts with them. A couple of years after that, after copying all of my correspondence into a new letter and sending it as background material to every name and address I could think of with the company, past or current, I managed to collect an amount in the low two figures. At that, I was lucky. I know some of the writers who didn't manage to get their books out before the company crashed and reorganized (or reorganized and said they crashed) who got less than that.

(I can't find a spell checker. Is there one?)

Not to worry about the hug, though. I've seen people jump into these threads and I've wondered about them, too.

Mo

Last edited:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Ha...we still have people who question the "person we don't speak of"
One would have to maintain a certain amount of dubiousness with the callous use of words such as "I goofed" and "he's dead". A grieving widow, in my estimation would have different verbiage, don't you think, philwit?

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Mo.

Thanks for the information. Its too bad even you got suckered, but it shows everyone can move onward and upward.

Welcome to the fray.

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
T42 said:
Welcome Mo! I promise I will not call you Mo-Randa:)

Thank you Mem. I've been called names, but probably nothing as bad as that.
I'm sitting here with a cup of Hawthorne Berry and green tea with ginger and stevia and wishing I could get your book through a venue that wouldn't contribute to the retirement fund of the group in Frederick.

Sigh.

Mo

Status
Not open for further replies.