Taxing Everything. What's next, an Air Tax?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I see the term 'American Dream' I think of that scene in Watchmen. Where Nite Owl annd the Comedian are putting down a riot.

Nite Owl: What ever happened to the American Dream?

Comedian: It came true!

Personally, I think that is what is causing the current crises in America. Its dream came true.

The Comedian was an asshole and everything he said was calculated to fuck with whoever he was talking too.

Why?

Cause he was an asshole!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I don't know what's the matter with you and Don. Are you two not reading? I said management will pay the least it can get away with. You're not arguing with me. If you walked in and said you'd work for six dollars an hour, do you think they're gonna say, "Oh, don't be ridiculous, Clary. We'll pay you at least twenty." Nope. Unless it's Uncle Clary, you'll get six bucks.

When I interviewed at KPMG, my eventual boss asked me my desired salary. I said I was looking for X amount of dollars. He laughed at me and said that was ridiculous, and offered 20% more.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I interviewed at KPMG, my eventual boss asked me my desired salary. I said I was looking for X amount of dollars. He laughed at me and said that was ridiculous, and offered 20% more.

Note: "eventual" boss. He was middle management no doubt. Lol. . . . There's always a reason.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, my last move from company to company was also 20% over my previous job, plus moving expenses and an extra week's vacation.

Maybe migrant farm workers are treated that way, or people going to work in union shops. I never had that problem, from my first burger-flipping job onward.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, my last move from company to company was also 20% over my previous job, plus moving expenses and an extra week's vacation.

Maybe migrant farm workers are treated that way, or people going to work in union shops. I never had that problem, from my first burger-flipping job onward.

Are you serious?

Go to any job search site and look at the white-collar jobs. Find 10 that offer moving expenses and an extra week's vacation.

Migrant workers my... ahem, nevermind.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, there are businessmen that recognise the simple fact -- keeping your employees happy would eventually benefit the business

Keeping your employees "happy" is not some altruistic - "gee, we're paying you this because it's the right thing to do" motivation. Companies pay their employees enough to keep them on the job and working. And there are times when the "employer" makes sacrifices and pays him/herself less to not lose those employees during the lean times. But for the most part, employers do what they do to keep income rolling in to stuff the top pockets.

Even Rousseau wouldn't have bought this nonsense about the "natural benevolence of the employer" as if capitalism doesn't adversely affect people's nature. Now I grant you, competition can be a good thing, but present day capitalism in the US today isn't working. The sacrifices to keep an enormous, inefficent corporate empire afloat are made almost exclusively by the labor and employees, and now, of course, the taxpayer. The top tier of these companies have become so engorged by power and money that they are literally and eternally insulated to a downturn and to the pain of insecurity vis a vis salary and benefit slashing, not to mention lay-offs and let's not forget OUTSOURCING.

IBM has just laid off more US citizens in favor of India's cheap labor:

International Business Machines Corp. plans to lay off about 5,000 U.S. employees, with many of the jobs being transferred to India, according to people familiar with the situation.
The technology giant has been steadily building its work force in India and other locations while reducing the number of workers based in the U.S. Foreign workers accounted for 71% of Big Blue's nearly 400,000 employees at the start of the year, up from about 65% in 2006 . . . http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123799610031239341.html

This country protects the top tier of IBM, affords them security and the very best in terms of freedom and raising their children. And THIS is how they repay the US citizen.

It's not working, Dm, and these companies have to be brought to heel with taxation and regulation.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
Keeping your employees "happy" is not some altruistic - "gee, we're paying you this because it's the right thing to do" motivation. Companies pay their employees enough to keep them on the job and working. And there are times when the "employer" makes sacrifices and pays him/herself less to not lose those employees during the lean times. But for the most part, employers do what they do to keep income rolling in to stuff the top pockets.
A. You are generalizing. i personally know businessmen that both see the company as a shared interest of employers and employees, and people at the top that cut their own pays not just to keep their employees (let's face it -- under the current conditions people wouldn't leave), but to lead by example (and took a cut twice as much as anybody else).

B. In the end, it doesn't matter if the motives are altruistic or not. You have probably seen movies about Google work environment. Certainly those conditions benefit the employer, because people work more hours, but the employees are still happy and enjoy those conditions. That's the point. Not everybody cuts down expenses to the bare minimum, because they see this as a longer term investment. Not by a long shot.

ETA: you really would have to come sometime to face the fact that you can't cheat globalization by regulations and taxes. The only thing you are going to do, is to put your own companies at a disadvantage and raise the prices for your consumers.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A. You are generalizing. i personally know businessmen that both see the company as a shared interest of employers and employees, and people at the top that cut their own pays not just to keep their employees (let's face it -- under the current conditions people wouldn't leave), but to lead by example (and took a cut twice as much as anybody else).

B. In the end, it doesn't matter if the motives are altruistic or not. You have probably seen movies about Google work environment. Certainly those conditions benefit the employer, because people work more hours, but the employees are still happy and enjoy those conditions. That's the point. Not everybody cuts down expenses to the bare minimum, because they see this as a longer term investment. Not by a long shot.

ETA: you really would have to come sometime to face the fact that you can't cheat globalization by regulations and taxes. The only thing you are going to do, is to put your own companies at a disadvantage and raise the prices for your consumers.

Dm, I don't expect altruism in the workplace, nor have witnessed it, with the exception of a single Mom and Pop outfit. They happened to be devout Catholics and did their best to be fair. Otherwise, I've seen the very worst in greed, it's become worse, and I've been around this block a time or two. I've seen nice gestures, yes, and maybe a few parties, but at the end of the day, it's about the top tier raking in the dough. Now if you don't think capitalism has become intolerably cut-thoat in this country, fine. But just about everything I've witnessed and read and seen in terms of individual suffering speaks otherwise.

And let me ask you something, Dm. What the hell good is all that cheap labor if Americans don't have decent enough jobs to pay for all that crap??

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
Dm, I don't expect altruism in the workplace, nor have witnessed it, with the exception of a single Mom and Pop outfit. They happened to be devout Catholics and did their best to be fair. Otherwise, I've seen the very worst in greed, it's become worse, and I've been around this block a time or two. I've seen nice gestures, yes, and maybe a few parties, but at the end of the day, it's about the top tier raking in the dough. Now if you don't think capitalism has become intolerably cut-thoat in this country, fine. But just about everything I've witnessed and read and seen in terms of individual suffering speaks otherwise.
I am really sorry for your experience. People make similar accusations here every day, and yet, I have vitnessed just the opposite many many times. Sure, I saw what you describe, too. I also saw people whining about not being paid more while not deserving to be paid more. I have seen people talk about the needs to make sacrifices, while demanding those sacrifices only from others. I have see far too many people that expect to be given what they consider their due, while doing absolutely nothing and taking no responsibility for their actions.

And let me ask you something, Dm. What the hell good is all that cheap labor if Americans don't have decent enough jobs to pay for all that crap??
????
What exactly are you referring to? the standard of living is constantly rising in the West (even among the poorest). Despite everything you say, US is somewhere at the top of that standard of living. It is not so hard to realise that in a globalized world it is inevitable that countries with high standards of living would shift to more service based economies. US is actually better in this respect than much of the Europe. You may not like it, but it is what it is and no amount of regulation will change this fact.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Another tax article from the WSJ. If the Evil Rich are taxed enough, they'll go away (not because they lose all their money to taxes, but because they move to where taxes are lower), and people won't have to work for them any more. We can all work for government, because that'll the only entity with enough money to hire people.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124260067214828295.html

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another tax article from the WSJ. If the Evil Rich are taxed enough, they'll go away (not because they lose all their money to taxes, but because they move to where taxes are lower), and people won't have to work for them any more. We can all work for government, because that'll the only entity with enough money to hire people.

Excellent!!
I'm all for it. They should move. But why stop in Texas? I mean, why can't they go somewhere like, say, Nigeria? How are the taxes there? I like that idea. They can live someplace else altogether. In fact, since an awful lot them got rich on cheap foreign labor, I think they should go where their employees are, like say: China. In fact, I think it should be mandatory. Live where the majority of your employees are. Look at the benefits. When they go belly-up, the taxpayer doesn't have to bail their resentful, nonpaying asses out.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score

What a great idea! After all, the USSR proved how productive and happy people can be when the government manages all production and farming by central planning.

People think their bosses are bad now. Wait 'till those bosses are Pelosi, and Cheney, and GWB, and Fraulein Clinton and their ilk.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Excellent!!
I'm all for it. They should move. But why stop in Texas? I mean, why can't they go somewhere like, say, Nigeria? How are the taxes there? I like that idea. They can live someplace else altogether. In fact, since an awful lot them got rich on cheap foreign labor, I think they should go where their employees are, like say: China. In fact, I think it should be mandatory. Live where the majority of your employees are. Look at the benefits. When they go belly-up, the taxpayer doesn't have to bail their resentful, nonpaying asses out.

I fear the America you crave, BoP.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Are you serious?

Go to any job search site and look at the white-collar jobs. Find 10 that offer moving expenses and an extra week's vacation.

Migrant workers my... ahem, nevermind.

I found a few checking dice.com (my primary source of employment opportunties).

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent!!
Let's see how long it takes for taxes to double to make up for the portion of lost taxes that rich people were already paying.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I fear the America you crave, BoP.

The America I "crave" is an America that takes care of its citizens so it can attain the optimum in terms of productive, innovative, content, contributing individuals. The America I "crave" is an America that educates its kids and makes sure those kids have jobs in this country when they're ready to enter the workforce. I "crave" an America with clean water and air, and plenty of habitat for the creatures we share the the planet with, along with decent food and adequate health care so that people aren't nervous wrecks worried about losing everything if they dare switch jobs or go out on their own with a preexisiting condition, nevermind if they dare to get sick. Otherwise, I'd like the government to stay the hell out of people's social lives and the harmless choices they make. And paramount, I want an America that doesn't send young men and women off to die or be permanently maimed for no reason other than a get-even-richer-quicker scheme.

I want small businesses and average Americans to dominate, not mega-corporations and billionaires. I want to see everybody able to achieve an upper middle class lifestyle, which means a level playing field from the first day of his/her existence. I'm all for hard work, but I'm all for fairness, too, which means that the tax dollars we pay should go to things that benefit all, like mass transit, instead of for a few, like BLM leases that cost nothing but are amazingly and consistently awarded to vast ranching enterprises making millions, while small operations are denied.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
BoP, I crave exactly the same things. I just don't believe that guys with guns should force those things to happen, CAN force those things to happen, or have ANY INTEREST in seeing those things happen. The BLM leases you mention are a case in point.

Government's been steadily growing in the country since the Constitution was signed. Are we getting closer to those goals, or farther away? Think carefully about that before you answer it, looking at things like the literacy rate in the 1780's, and the speed of the increase in the standard of living in the early 1800s. :) When did Merchantilism really start to get a stronghold here, anyway?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score

Here's an interesting tidbit from that article. Of course, the studies must have been biased, and the statistics misinterpreted, and there really is no cause and effect as the quote implies. Bolding mine.
We also found that over these same years the no-income tax states created 89% more jobs and had 32% faster personal income growth than their high-tax counterparts.

Did the greater prosperity in low-tax states happen by chance? Is it coincidence that the two highest tax-rate states in the nation, California and New York, have the biggest fiscal holes to repair? No. Dozens of academic studies -- old and new -- have found clear and irrefutable statistical evidence that high state and local taxes repel jobs and businesses.