• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The McCarthy Agency

Trout

Registered
Reaction score
I met Shawna at a party in January; at her urging, I sent her the first chapter in an email. She said that her reading time was running six to eight weeks, but the next day she asked for the first three chapters and a synopsis. Less than two weeks after I sent her that, she asked for the balance of the ms. But now I'm at week nine-and-change and wondering whether (or when) to send some sort of follow-up email. How much extra time is polite, in such cases? Or do I just continue to hold?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I met Shawna at a party in January; at her urging, I sent her the first chapter in an email. She said that her reading time was running six to eight weeks, but the next day she asked for the first three chapters and a synopsis. Less than two weeks after I sent her that, she asked for the balance of the ms. But now I'm at week nine-and-change and wondering whether (or when) to send some sort of follow-up email. How much extra time is polite, in such cases? Or do I just continue to hold?

I would wait until three months have passed. Spring is a pretty busy time for agents with a lot of conventions and book fairs. (Not that they aren't always busy, but there is a concentration of events in the spring seems like.) And three months is usually the minimum for nudging on a full request. So, just sit tight for a bit longer.

Best of luck! :)

Trout

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I'll take a few (more) deep breaths, then.

authorbriaburton

Registered
Reaction score
I recently queried Shawna McCarthy and received a request for the first ten pages (!!!) of an epic fantasy manuscript. I'm very excited, and also trying to do a little research on her agency. I've been scanning this thread to see about any experiences her clients have had with her, and there doesn't seem to be any recent info. I'm not finding much about her sales as a literary agent except 2005 and prior. Does anyone have any insight as to why the gap to present day? Or am I just not looking in the right places?

sisforspace

Registered
Reaction score
I just signed with Shawna and am currently out on submission! She seems so nice and enthusiastic so far--I'll let you know how things go.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so. The last address I could find for agent Shawna McCarthy and the McCarthy Agency, LLC was Hoboken, NJ. This agent, Sean McCarthy of Sean McCarthy Literary Agency, seems to be based out of NYC.

On Query Tracker, they have different email addresses. Ms. McCarthy's company doesn't appear to have a website.

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I think the "no website" thing was throwing me a little. Thanks!

Reactions: mrsmig