About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willwrite4food

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.FinishedPages.com
The list tool seems to be a bit temperamental. When it works, it works really well, but when it doesn't work... well, let's just say it can be moody.

Yeah, I wish I had realized that before I created like six or seven lists at the end! But, I think they all eventually posted.

On a happy note, I got my first full night's sleep in weeks last night and I feel fully refreshed! On a strange note, I feel like I'm missing an appendage because I'm not running to update the site anymore.

I did learn how much I enjoy blogging, so if this doesn't work out I might actively seek out a few more blogging jobs since I'm more comfortable with the software, and I'm definitely proficient in html now:)

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I've found that I actually like the Image Gallery concept way better than the List Tool, and there's some stuff that works better with pics than a list. Plus you have more room for text.

rachellist

Registered
Reaction score
After being rejected for something like 10 topics over the past year I finally got an invitation to prep! I am so excited but I guess we'll see what happens. This is coming towards the end of my pregnancy too so I'm hoping I can keep up.

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Congrats Rachellist!
I am surviving in prep, but it is exhausting. Just wanted to check in here before turning in tonight. I am curious about those who are Guides now...how many hours a week do you spend working on your site? The answer to this question may be somewhere in these 44 pages of posts, but I am too tired to look through them all. :)

sandymae2000

Writing for My Life
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Klow and Others:

Glad prep is going along well for you.

Re Hours on About site: I'm pretty sure I do more than the average, but I spend between 20 and 25 hours/week on the Cleveland site.

Just like Kori's 60 pieces of content in prep (I also did around 60), there are Guides that do much less.

Best,
Sandy

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I've been putting in a lot more hours lately too. Originally, I was giving it about 12 hours a week, but I'm probably doing closer to 20 now. There's just so much material I want to cover, and I feel like I can't get my content up there fast enough.

rachellist

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I'm excited. I just hope that I get through. It's a bit daunting to know that you are competing against an unknown number of people.

For those who are guides now or in prep now what did you do to prepare for prep?

jagfish

Registered
Reaction score
I just applied for a topic. What if I didn't get an automated response? It probably told me about that, but maybe I didn't read carefully enough. Anyone have an idea?

jagfish

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. I just read a few pages back and found the answer to my question.

klow

Registered
Reaction score
rachellist,
Start organizing and writing your material. Use the "Topics to Cover" info as your guideline. I find that during prep I am trying to learn how to use the tools, etc. and it has been helpful to have much of the info I am going to write about already organized. Also, clear your calendar and get some rest!

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Rachellist,

Look back through the thread a couple of weeks. We had some really good tips posted. I think you can click on my posts to see what I've posted - I shared a bunch of tips at that time and then you should be able to easily find the other posts.

=},
Christy

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
I've been putting in nearly full-time hours at About, but I'm trying to cut back a little bit. It's hard because there's an infinite amount of stuff to write, and the correlation between what I write and how much I earn is really clear! :) And plus... I really like doing it, so it doesn't feel that much like "work" to me. :D

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
KEWrite, that's a great-looking list! I'm thinking about maybe going to San Antonio next summer (for a sweepstakes conference :D). I'll definitely be haunting your pages if it works out! It will be my first trip to Texas.

gruurly

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to everyone who has made it through Prep! I look forward to seeing you all on the New Guide listserv.

How much time as a current Guide do I work each week? I must admit about 2hrs a day is spent just reading, reading, reading - either posts from other Guides or other About-related content. All in all, probably in the range of 25-30 hours a week.

How much content did I have upon graduating? More in the 20 range than the 60 range.

List tool: I personally love it - but it has yet to give me agita.

Best of luck to all of you working through Prep right now or waiting to hear back!

klow

Registered
Reaction score
gruurly,
Your site looks great!
I love your love or lust quiz.

willwrite4food

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.FinishedPages.com
It would be interesting to see how many of the guide site hits are from people going through Prep! I know I read much more About content while I was in training because I was trying to get ideas and figure out how to organize things (especially other city guides)!

Last edited:

sandymae2000

Writing for My Life
Registered
Reaction score
Bless you Renee!

We About.com City Guides appreciate your pages views. :)

Best,
Sandy

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
Pix in Prep

Hey all!

Well, with my second review under my belt, I am nearing the home stretch of Prep. Hallelujah! :D

Quick Q to existing Guides or other Preppers:

My site description does not have any specific info on the number of photos needed. So, I'm not sure if I should just put one or two up to show them I am capable and concentrate more on content, or if I should take time to "pretty up" the site with photos.

Thoughts?

City Guides, of course I know you need more photos than the average bear. But what about Patti, gruuly, wolflady, Christy, Gardenwall and others...

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Website
www.gardenwallpublications.com
Hey all!

Well, with my second review under my belt, I am nearing the home stretch of Prep. Hallelujah! :D

Quick Q to existing Guides or other Preppers:

My site description does not have any specific info on the number of photos needed. So, I'm not sure if I should just put one or two up to show them I am capable and concentrate more on content, or if I should take time to "pretty up" the site with photos.

Thoughts?

City Guides, of course I know you need more photos than the average bear. But what about Patti, gruuly, wolflady, Christy, Gardenwall and others...

Thanks! :)

well, I had all of one at the end of prep...for freelancewrite though, so...seems pretty limited as far as pix go...

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Checking in...first review went pretty well. (Of course, I wrote all the "fun" content first. Now the slogging begins.) We have a hectic week planned, so I need to be very focused and organized as I head to review #2. (I am not normally organized. This is a challenge.)

How's everyone else doing?

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi NancyP and Everyone,
I had my first review, too...and I agree I wrote the more specific, easier content first. Now I have to be a little more creative. Yikes! I am not feeling very creative. Think I will take a night off tonight and get plugging away tomorrow.

I am also interested in RitrChick's question about photos. I don't have any up yet. Guess I better get at least one to show I can use the tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.