• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Movable Type Management (formerly Movable Type Literary Group)

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
I queried Mary back in May, and got a full request June 18th. I've queried her with every one of my books thus far, so we'll see how it goes. ;)

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Kelley!!!

*Sigh*... she wrote back saying she still likes my writing, but the premise isn't as marketable as what she's looking for right now (makes me sad, seeing as I think it's a crazy commercial idea!). Ah well. If this MS can't snag an agent, my current WIP seems like it'll be up her alley. Always looking ahead!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Ah well. If this MS can't snag an agent, my current WIP seems like it'll be up her alley. Always looking ahead!

That's the spirit, Becca. I'm right there with you. :)

Mary's never requested from me, so I was so shocked when she responded to my most recent query personally, using my name and thanking me for "thinking of her again." Weird to think she remembers me when she's never requested.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
That's the spirit, Becca. I'm right there with you. :)

Mary's never requested from me, so I was so shocked when she responded to my most recent query personally, using my name and thanking me for "thinking of her again." Weird to think she remembers me when she's never requested.

That is funny. She knew me personally because we've spoken on the phone before, but another agent requested a full from me recently and said she was excited to see more of my work when she read a partial from me almost two years ago. Memory is interesting sometimes, isn't it?

lambchops

Registered
Reaction score
Movable Type Jason Allen Ashlock

Hi, I just wanted to share my experiences with Movable Type and Jason Allen Ashlock. Three years ago I queried him with my first manuscript and he responded within less than 5 minutes with an extremely enthusiastic request for a full. I was pretty amazed and excited. After about 12 weeks, I emailed for an update and got no response. Then sent another email update three weeks later. Nothing. A few months ago I sent him another query and, again, within less than 5 minutes, I received an enthusiastic request for a full. This time, though, I sort of knew that this was his style. Is he kind of a hyper requester? I sent the full and now almost twelve weeks have heard nothing. After emailing for an update and receiving no response, I've marked him off my list as a NR. He is on twitter a lot, so I think he has time to send a simple form rejection to people, especially if he has requested a full. That's life in this game, but if you have queried him, and he requests a full in less than five minutes, don't get your hopes up. Be prepared to hear nothing back. I'd read somewhere that he was a Southern gentleman, so I'd expected some kind of response, but he is too busy twittering I guess? At any rate, I won't be querying him again because it's kind of worse to have someone enthusiastically request a full and not respond than have someone never request at all. It shows a real lack of respect for a writer's time and effort, when a writer is expected to show an agent respect and patience. Guess they know it can be a one-way street in their favor.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Most of these stories about Jason Allen Ashlock are a few years old. Does anyone have any current experience with him? I'd love to hear about present-day interaction he's having with people, or not. Does he frequently not get back to people on fulls?

Is anyone here repped by him? I'd appreciate a PM with some honest thoughts. Am researching him while he has my full. Thanks in advance for any info.

BlossomQueen

Playing the Waiting Game
Registered
Reaction score
@ Quickbread

Honestly? He's a non-responder. The poster above you is correct, at least, when it comes to my experience with him as well. He responded within a couple hours but has had my full for months and even after a nudge hasn't responded. It wouldn't bother me as much if he didn't have such an active social media presence. But *shrugs* I think there are some people who have had a good experience with him. I'd say go for it and email him, he might be so crazy about it he responds with, well, something. :) Good luck.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
I queried Mary back in May, and got a full request June 18th. I've queried her with every one of my books thus far, so we'll see how it goes. ;)

Have you heard back from Mary about this full yet, Kelley? I have a full out with her now. She's requested from me in the past when she was with Andrea Brown and got back to me in about 2 weeks. She was pretty quick in responding to the query this time, so. Wondering if I should expect the same speed on the full now as before.

Not that I'm impatient. Just curious.

larana84

Registered
Reaction score
I hope this is the right spot, but did anyone sign up for Mary Kole's webinar at the end of October that included a 500 word critique (or any of her other webinars)? The webinar was great, and I've been eagerly waiting for the pdf she was supposed to send out a week later with questions and answers from the webinar. Did anyone else get it? I'm worried that I somehow got left off the mailing list.

Thanks! :)

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else receiving unsolicited emails from Ms Kole offering paid editorial services? I have received two such emails now. I wasn't sure whether it was from her or a scam pretending to be her.

She is offering editorial services now, so it isn't a scammer pretending to be her. The email went out to everyone who's ever commented on her blog. I only got the one, though.

katydid

Registered
Reaction score
Query to Jason Allen Ashlock

Sent a query/first 10 pages to Mr. Ashlock on Feb. 6, 2013.
He asked for the full a couple of hours later.
Waiting to hear back.
Writing the next book.

MadameApeFace

How do you work this crazy thing?
Registered
Reaction score
That explains why she never responded to my query from four months ago, and is missing now from the agency web site, I suppose.

Thanks for the update, Becca!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Jason Allen Ashlock is gone too, I've heard. Adam Chromy is the only contact left on their website, which has removed the "Team" link entirely.

Here's Ashlock's current bio:
http://jasonashlock.tumblr.com/BIo

Last edited:

carlofab

Registered
Reaction score
Jason Allen Ashlock is gone too, I've heard. Adam Chromy is the only contact left on their website, which has removed the "Team" link entirely.

Here's Ashlock's current bio:
http://jasonashlock.tumblr.com/BIo

RE: Adam Chromy

This is just an informational post about film rights to novels, from someone who has worked in the film industry a number of years:

Adam Chromy boasts that he represents film rights to his clients’ novels “as a producer”. The advantage, he claims, is that you pay him no commission for film rights money because the studio pays him as producer.

This does not seem to me a good deal for the writer:

(1) If he represented your film rights as an agent, he would have every incentive to secure the highest possible price for you since he would collect a commission.

(2) Basically he is telling the studio that to acquire film rights to your novel, the studio has to accept Chromy as a producer. Obviously, film rights are worth only so much to a studio (depending on how hot the property, etc).

Suppose rights to your novel are worth $100,000 to them. Since they have to accept Chromy as a producer, the $100,000 would have to pay both his producer’s fee and the cost of your film rights. There is nothing to prevent him from telling you (say), the studio is offering you $10,000 for film rights. If you balk, he says I’ll ask for more, and calls back a few days later saying, “I really worked hard for you, pal, and jacked them up to $25,000.” Basically, he’s got $100k to play with, and is seeing how little you’ll take. The rest goes to him as “producer”.

(3) Another problem is that studios probably don’t want Chromy as a producer. Rather than representing you, he is piggybacking on your book’s heat to force himself on them. The normal arrangement is for a producer to purchase an option to buy the screenrights from the writer; the option can be for one or more years, during which time the producer can shop the material to studios. Basically you are giving Chromy a “free” option on your book to shop to studios with himself attached as producer.

(4) Chromy claims to be both a producer and screenwriter, but if you google his name plus IMDB (International Movie Data Base), you will find he has no produced screenwriting credits and no produced movie or TV credits. He does have a series “House of Card” in development, but whether he will be a named producer, or the nature of his participation, is not stated.

OVERALL:

Now, I can’t tell you what to do. Obviously if you’re just getting started, having a film made from your book would boost sales and your recognition. So much so that possibly you are willing to accept that your “producer” will get most of the film rights money.

All I am saying is to be aware of the above situation.

You are almost surely better off finding an agent to negotiate a film sale on commission if you can possibly do so. If you can’t and Chromer is willing to give it a shot as your “producer,” I can’t advise you not to let him try. There is a saying in Hollywood that sometimes you have to take a screwing on your first deal. The important thing is to realize you are taking a screwing, and extricate yourself from such an arrangement on your next deal.