• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sarah Jane Freymann Literary Agency

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Super quick turn around. Steve Schwartz requested three chapters back in November the day after I queried Sarah Jane Freymann (she'd forwarded it to him). Four days later he requested the full, and ten days after that he rejected with kind comments.

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
Sarah Jane Freymann??

Hello everyone. I am an entering freshman in college and am currently attempting to get my first novel published. I sent a query letter off to the Sarah Jane Freymann literary agency, and received an email stating that they would be happy to read my synopsis and first 60 pgs for my YA fiction novel. Now, i was wondering if anyone on here was signed with this agency, and if so, how do you like it??:)

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone with Sarah Jane Freymann agency?? (moved from newbies)

Hello everyone. I am an entering freshman in college and am currently attempting to get my first novel published. I sent a query letter off to the Sarah Jane Freymann literary agency, and received an email stating that they would be happy to read my synopsis and first 60 pgs for my YA fiction novel. Now, i was wondering if anyone on here was signed with this agency, and if so, how do you like it??:)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

You might want to ask a Mod to port this over to Bewares and Backgrounds where you'll get more feedback on the agent

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
In case anyone's interested in the timeline -
I e-queried Ms. Katharine on May 7th and received a request for first 3 chapters on May 29th. :)

Anonymissy

not so anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
Here 's my timeline:

e-Queried: 5/9/09
e-mail request for synopsis and first 60 pp (plus SASE) via mail: 5/11/09 (from Jessica Sinsheimer, SJF's assistant, and a real gem -- responsive, friendly e-mails)
First 60 pp, etc. mailed: 5/12/09
Rejection via e-mail (complimentary, but still....): 5/20/09

Except for the R, this was pretty much the perfect query experience.

claire

Registered
Reaction score
queried via email: 5/28/09
received acknowledgement of receipt: 5/28/09
received request for 60 pages and synopsis: 5/29/09
sent material: 6/1/09
received note that partial was enjoyed and has been passed on to Ms. Freymann: 6/3/09

The emails have been very nice and not generic responses, and the time frame very quick. Whether the process goes further, we shall see, but overall what a wonderful query experience!

fairy86

Loose on the internet!
Registered
Reaction score
received note that partial was enjoyed and has been passed on to Ms. Freymann: 6/3/09

The emails have been very nice and not generic responses, and the time frame very quick. Whether the process goes further, we shall see, but overall what a wonderful query experience!

That sounds awesome, Claire. I sent my partial on 6/1 also.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com

So, you guys have been getting acknowledgement receipts? I didn't, so I was wondering!

Anonymissy

not so anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
So, you guys have been getting acknowledgement receipts? I didn't, so I was wondering!

June, Although I didn't note it in my response, I did receive an acknowledgement receipt. You might want to re-send your query.

J. M. Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
Jessica Sinsheimer

I queried the Sarah Jane Freyman agency via email on May 9 with my query, synopsis, and a sample. Jessica Sinsheimer contacted me on May 11 - an excellent turnaround time, I thought - and asked for an extended synopsis and more sample pages throught the snail mail. I sent them off to her on the 12th and emailed her to let them know they were in the mail. She emailed me back immediately and thanked me, then on May 20 sent me a very nice, personal rejection email.

I got the impression that the agency, and in particular Jessica Sinsheimer, was very professional and organized. They are listed in the Writers' & Artists' Yearbook 2009 as being founded in 1974. It also says they work in conjunction with Abner Stein in London.

I found a reference to Jessica in particular here: http://www.sbwriters.com/june_agents_editors.php

I hope this helps!

Citizen Rob

I'm swell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rummelhudson.com
Just a bit of a personal testimonial: I signed with Sarah Jane Freymann back in 2005, and she secured a book deal with St. Martin's Press about a year later. She has been the ultimate professional and is also a very warm person, and she quite simply knows everything there is to know about publishing. In the four years that I have been with her agency, Sarah Jane hasn't disappointed me once, and she has pleasantly surprised me more times than I could ever count.

While Sarah Jane has always represented me, I've had occasion to work with Jessica Sinsheimer from time to time, and she has always struck me as extremely smart and passionate about her work. I'd trust my work in her hands as well, in an instant.

I think it's safe to say that I owe my career as a writer to Sarah Jane and her agency, and I honestly can't imagine that anyone else could have possibly enjoyed a better client/agent experience than I have.

socact

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

One of the agents at this agency requested a "sample." Should I send the full, an arbitrary partial, send it via e-mail, snail mail? I usually send the full when in doubt, but it seems like they're in the habit of requesting partials. I'm a little confused.

Thanks!

J. M. Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

One of the agents at this agency requested a "sample." Should I send the full, an arbitrary partial, send it via e-mail, snail mail? I usually send the full when in doubt, but it seems like they're in the habit of requesting partials. I'm a little confused.

Thanks!

They requested a sample from me as well, which translated as a synopsis and the first 60 pages.