• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Poetry.com / International Library of Poetry / Watermark Press

Queen Phaedra

Poetry.com. poetry.con, whatever you call it...

:lol I entered a poem back in late 1995 to poetry.com, and they were just bursting with praise and telling me how great it was, I was going to be a finalist in their contest, so I bought the book and thought it was cool that my poem was published. I entered another poem, and the same thing was told to me. Eventually my status went from finalist to semi-finalist. I thought about buying another book, but didn't have the money. I do remember that the line "Wonderful verse! Recommend for the Sound of Poetry," was always at the top of their letters for each poem. When the same things were told to me after I entered another poem, I thought, "Ok, can they say ANYTHING original? They had all these other offers too, like one time I got a letter talking about they wanted me to be on their radio program, but you had to pay expensive fees first.

I wrote them a letter asking how they determined their
choices and who were their judges. I never heard from them and this was back in 96 or 97 when I wrote the letter. As a matter of fact, I got a letter in the mail praising my poetry on one side, and then on the other side, they were praising someone else! :rolleyes

I've never been to the conventions, but they always talked about how I was nominated for poet of the year, blah blah blah, trying to set up a mood by having me imagine that I was there, a hush over the crowd, and then the thunderous applause when my name was announced. I would like to meet the people who were named poet of the year from previous conventions. I wonder if those pictures they use from the conventions are even from those events.

I haven't sent anything to them in a few years and haven't heard from them, but when I first stopped sending them anything they would send me letters encouraging me to submit another poem and it would immediately be entered in another contest, and I should be proud of my talent. I like one of their letters that told me that only 2% of people considered had the opportunity to be published in this anthology that had the best of poets of the current year.

Unfortunately, however I don't think it will be shut down because people have the choice to buy the books or take part in any other of the offers, no one was forced or threatened. What might happen at the most is they will be forced to refund the people the money they're owed and stop being so praising in their letters, because that ropes people in to submit more. No one has the right to take advantage of you without your permission. With enough persistance, you can find reputable places online. I know I'm looking!

Everyone keep writing and sharpening your talent! Never give up!

Queen Phaedra

How do you delete the poems from poetry.com?

I would love to learn how to do that...I don't want them profiting off my work! Please let me know!

nothineasy

Poetry.com does not JUST deceive --- they lie.

While deception is a given in marketing and advertising (and thus, acceptable?), outright lying is not legal. Yes, Poetry.com and it's sister sites do nothing to force one to buy their products, and perhaps everything that one submits actually is published --- but without buying the book, how can one ever verify publication for sure? It is fairly certain that no copy will ever show up in a legitimate bookstore or library.... But the lie is this... the author of a work is told that he/she has had his/her work CHOSEN, from thousands of works, of which many works were not selected. True, if you submit many works, you will find only one "chosen", typically. But, for EVERY batch of works, which you submit under unique email and physical addresses, you will receive a notification of having at least one entry "chosen". I am fairly certain that the 'CHOOSING' process has nothing to do with human selection of works of artistic merit. :hat :hat :hat :hat

McInnes

Re: Poetry.com does not JUST deceive --- they lie.

Good point...but think about it...

Out of all the submissions that they receive they only have to reject such a small amount to make that statement true.

pauly

poetry.comedy

:b :b :b

Thank God I didn't pay any money but hey look on the bright side. They've just sent me a picture of a crappy cup and they will present it to me if (poetry.con used the word when you fly... ) I fly to Florida, pay them $600, listen to them taking the piss out of me, saying I'm a great poet. I just couldn't stop laughing when I saw the cup. I mean it looks so plastic and they couldn't even be bothered to change the year on it; it still showed the year 2000. :lol I suppose the sad thing is that they're making the money and not us (I think there's a poem there in that sentense. I think I'll send it off. Might make it to the final).

gritty

scam

WHile I agree that we must take responsibility for our selves, it is still wrong for a company to lie or scam money from people. Maybe it is a person's fault for falling for a scam, but it is good for them to complain also, to blow the whistle on them and save the rest of us some bucks.

Any business that can't abide by the law to survive should not be in business.

Sunanda

same here!

my story is the same as everyone else's .......though I didn't buy anything (couldn't pay in dollars) .....but it still hurts!

Ana

Poetry.Com as references

I had the same experience a few months ago. I have now banished it from my mind and erased it from my memory. I have however noticed people offering titles bestowed by Poetry.Com on their websites(International Poet of the Year, Eligibility to attend swanky conferences, The 'coffee-table anthology' containing their writing etc) while taking care never to mention the name Poetry.Com. I was wondering what you think of this phenomenon?

reef

But they con kids, too

After reading the back-and-forth here about responsibility for one's choices, I want to add that the people fooled by the International Library of Poetry's come-ons have included children as young as eight. I don't know whether that makes their tactics illegal, but it bears on the question of responsibility.

I remember being eight. At that time, the American Dairy Association was a sponsor of the weekly Walt Disney TV program. The commercials encouraged viewers to drink more milk. I didn't understand that a TV show was a commercial property. I thought the American Dairy Association was a group of people who wanted children to be healthy. Later I learned they were selling milk.

The one good thing about poetry.com is the free rhyming dictionary on their site.

trying2brealistic

Reality check

I have read here how some people feel they were mistreated by poetry.com. I submitted a poem, yes it was "selected for publication," but I have no intention of giving anyone money for my own work. I was offered a copy of the "anthology" free of charge, if I don't receive it, so what? If I do receive it, I know that I never paid any money for it, and that it will be filled with less than award winning poetry. Reality check people: If it is yours and someone wants you to pay for it, just don't! Recognition is great, but try recognizing a scam before you get suckered into paying anyone money. Yes, it is sad that children are suckered into this scam. But if the scam is explained, the child capable of writing poetry is capable of understanding the scam. Foster the creativity of children, not their gullibility.

Cindy Adamson

poetry.com

I entered a poem in January 2003 that is very dear to me. It's titled "Letting Go", I wrote it while sitting in the hospital with my Uncle one night on his death bed. I was so flattered and honored to receive a letter that I was a semi-finalist and that they wanted to publish it.
I think that some are missing a point.
I wasn't even thinking about making money on the poem,
I just feel like it is such a wonderful way to honor my
Uncle and keep his memory alive.

It seems to me that people are upset because poetry.com is making money and their not, granted I can understand that it's work that's been done from our heart and soul and we should at least get a free book, however, I choose to look at it in a more positive way.
If just one person reads my poem and finds comfort in any way, then that's payment enough for me.
Financial gain isn't the most important for me, I've gained
so much spiritually from writing this poem and all I want to do is share that with anyone who takes the time to read it and for that I am truly grateful!!!!!!!

Have a Blessed day
and God bless

skycladameritechnet

Poetry.com

Hi, this is my first time posting. I am a freelance writer and I have also come across poetry.com and others like them: I say this, I doubt what they do is illegal, as to if it is immoral, well that is subject to each persons perception. I got so fed up by being solicited to enter contests that I sent an entry as such:
FEE FI FO FUM
THIS CONTEST
IS TRULY DUMB!
Imagine my surprise when notified regarding my promising poetic talent!:b

I say as with anything in life, make decisions cautiously and based on actual factual information. I started out a "newbie" (Hey! wait I am still a newbie.:eek: ) and fell for many traps- which worked on my ego quite effectively. Now- I made a decision to not GIVE any of my writing away. If it isn't worth paying for, then I will look elsewhere. (Aside from any newsletter- charity type writing I may decide on.) I only enter contests I am 99.5% certain are legit- Writers Digest for example. I tend to go for those with no entry fee if I am uncertain of their origin.
I say keep the faith, keep writing and as long as you learn from your mistakes, you are that much further ahead.
Warmest Regards
SkY
Back to the writing board :smokin

sarawriterme

Poetry.com Scam

I entered one of my heart felt poems into their contest. I was excited when I recieved a letter telling me that I was a semi-finalist, and that my poem would be published in a book ($59.00) (I payed the $59.00 for the book, not knowing it was a scam) I later recieved a letter informing me that I was invited to the spring convention in florida at walt disney world. BUT.. I had to pay $595.00(!!!!) JUST to attend. And with me being a minor, My mother or father would ALSO have to attend, costing an additional $495.00 each. We couldn't afford that (I mean, how many people can??), and I didnt mind not going. I then recieved a letter and email telling me that i could still recieve all my awards (to name a few: poetry medallion, silver award cup, $100 gift certificate, and 1 year subscription to a poetry magazine), even though i am not attending. BUT I would have to pay $169.00(!!!) to pay for someone to read my poem at the convention, shipping and handling, AND to pay somewhat of the awards. Why should I have to pay for something that I won? Im not going to pay that. I then started to research poetry.com, poets.com and a few more all to be scams. They tell you that the book that your poem will be a well-read coffee table book. HOW CAN IT?! When it costs $65.00?? Anyways.. I just hope that this has helped some people to know that it IS a scam.. and all they want is your money. I am a teenager, and it has hurt me. But, my writing I feel, is still pretty good, and i bet yours is also. Just because it is a scam, it DOES NOT mean your writing is bad. I want the word to get out about it being a scam. This scam, is just not cool. :\

~Sara

tealeaf

NLP...

Hi,

I read your statement below, and would like to know how you erased your poems from NLP, because I want to do the same thing.

Where do I go? What are the procedures?

Thank you very much.

[email protected]

sabby679hotmailcom

more to the story

I've read all of your comments and it seems though you are mad you haven't heard all the stories, because there is most definatly something wrong here ligally! On a previous sight I read a very destraught letter from a girl that had sent the company almost $250!!! She never recieved one of the five anthologies she ordered, furthermore when she e-mailed thier service she was avoided and when she called they told her none of her poems had even been published. If this was not a scam, I don't know what is.

baybeface20002000

poetry.com

In December of 2002 i entered my poem on poetry.com and i waited days and weeks to here something from them so then on January 20,2003 I got a letter in the mail from them telling me I had been chosen to be published in their spring 2003 hardbound anthology and I was happy
So my mom and dad sent them the $67.95. So i thought
that i would finally have something that i could show people and tell them hey look at what i have acomplishied. so here it is spring is all most over and no book, and then i come to find out it is all probably a scam. This has just broken my heart.:(

Amichann

Re: poetry.com

I submitted my poem to poetry.com about 3 months ago. Not because I expected anything back, but because I had some poems I wrote back in high school creative writing class. I submited them and didn't give it a second thought. It was a contest, so I didn't think I would "win" or "get" anything, and I didn't expect to.

In january, I recieved a letter addressed to me that said my poem had been selected to be published in one of their books. I was at first skeptical, but I read it just in case. Later, I decided I really didn't need it, and it wasn't real anyway, so I threw it away.

Yesterday, I got another one of those letters, only this time telling me my poem was selected out of 33 people to be put in the "sound of poetry" CD. It looked believable so I saved it. They had my poem there and forms to fill out if you wanted to buy the book or CD your poem was in. I found it quite odd how they said you had to pay for the book and CD yourself. If they are using YOUR poem in THEIR books, shouldn't YOU get paid for it? why should you have to pay for your own work?

Maybe I am the most neive person in the world, but I actually thought my poem was special, and I thought they liked it. It's a small short poem .. and my friends and family all like it. But .. it all makes sense now. After I told my friend what I got from them, she told me that it was a scam. I didn't want to believe her, but I typed in "poetry.com scam" in a search engine, and sure enough I found alot of results (including this board) about them and their scam. It's so easy. Have people submit their poems, and to everyone who submits, they get a letter. However, these people don't get "sorry you have not been accepted" letters; they are all told that their poem was picked out of 33 finalists to be published in a book and CD. THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR. They make it all seem legit. They send everyone letters telling them what a wonderful poem they have written and how it has been "specially selected" to be published. While they are buttering you up and telling you of your "poetic genius", they try to get you to purchase a plaque with your poem on it, and also a CD with your poem and others on it. Hey, they even go as far as to say that NORMALLY people pay $79.00 for the poems CD, but since you are such a "poetically gifted" person, you will only have to pay $59.00! oh wow, and they give you a $10.00 coupon too. So really, if you take them up on their offer,you will only get scammed out of $49.00. Now, that's a deal.

In fact, I am QUITE sure that you can send a poem to them consisting of "I am a cat in a hat" and they will probably still send you one of those stupid notices telling you you've been selected and that they want to publish your poem. It may not be illegal, but it SHOULD be. Know why? not only are they making MONEY off people's poems, they are also crushing alot of people's hearts when/if they find out this is a scam. Oh yes, and do you see the 9/11 section of their site? how freaking low do you have to be to scam and rip of people who write about their dead family members and put their hearts into their poems?

I am going to write them a letter back telling them i'm on to their little scam. It may be pointless and fall on deaf ears, but i'm just gonna do it just so they know SOMEONE out there knows what they do. They probably think we are all fools, submitting poems, thinking that it got "selected", and then shelling out money to buy the book and CD. Well, I won't do anything like this again, and I hope more people know about this so they don't get scammed and hurt by this cruel injustice.

Kim

American Poets Society

Does anyone have information on a company called American Poets Society? They too could be in the scam business

vlorens

Listen to that little voice

There's something to be said for a woman's intuition!

After I submitted my work and received the form letter telling me I was a semi-finalist for the $1,000 prize, I was excited but skeptical. I held off on sending in any money for the anthology. When I received a second letter for another poem, I realized their game plan. Although I think my work is worthy, poetry.com will not see any more of it. Does anyone know how to get poems deleted from the site?

michelle003

National Library of Poetry

I have a sad story to tell you. The National Library of Poetry has been exposed as a scam on one of the evening news programs in recent years. They are the same who run the Poetry.com site. The only goal is to get the writers to buy thier books/CD's/whatever.

When I was 14 years old (nearly 10 years ago) I sent in a poem to the NLP and got great reviews, and editors choice award, and an invitation to be included in "The Sound of Poetry" recording. This was all fine and great except they wanted my to buy the book I was published in called "Where Dreams Begin" which was offered at a publishers "discounted" price of $49. My parents bought the book. Three years ago I read the poem I wrote from that book. It made no sense at all! Not a single line meant anything. No editor would have chosen it. It's called "The Slow Understanding of Love and Hate" if you wanna read it from the "Where Dreams Begin" edition to see for yourself, if you can find it anywhere.
Since becomming a freelance writer and learning about the business I have also come to the realization that I was heisted in my youth. The National Library of Poetry is a scam. They may possibly give a lot of people the wrong understanding of the publishing industry, though at times seems shady too.

STAY AWAY FROM POETRY.COM AND THE NATIONAL LIBRARY OF POETRY!!

Michelle

kauthor

Well

I am one of the poets that haven't sent anything to Poetry.Com. I became a little suspicious, and searched around. I am going to hold back until it is verified.

Amichann

Re: Well

lol .. there's really no verifcation needed. All you need to do is go to poetry.com, look in their poems section, and see what kind of poems are there. Alot are good, but most are awful. I just saw one called "wanita stopped givin' me play". Now, no reputable poetry site would ever have poems like that on their site.

WiccanWade1977

Are they REALLY doing nothing illegal???

But, isn't false advertising illegal? After all, their brochures claim that their anthologies are to be found in libraries, book stores, and even used as source books for poetic talent by recording companies in the music industry. I have NEVER seen any of the books bought, sold, or even any where near the meantioned establishments!

Amichann

Re: Are they REALLY doing nothing illegal???

I don't think false advertising is illegal. I agree its not right though. The problem with the goverment today is that many things slip though the cracks. False advertising happens on TV all day through commercials. Like take mc donalds for example; they talk about how good and how delicious their food is, but they don't say it's bad for you, because then that wouldnt make them look good.

Poetry.com is a sleazy scam. Not ONLY because they practically steal people's money, but because they care nothing about poetry, they fool people and take advantage of people. Just look at the 9/11 poems of their site. Those poems were written with people's hearts, and poetry.com couldn't care less if they are taking the money of 9/11 victims.