XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a jones for portal fantasy recently. Anybody got any recommendations.
This is a bit old and is probably out of print. But you should be able to find it at a good used book store. I have a thing for portal fiction myself.

I liked "The Reluctant Swordsman", "The Coming of Wisdom" and "The Destiny of the Sword" by Dave Duncan.

Another old one that I am still trying to get on my shelf, is...

The Time of the Dark series by Barbara Hambly.

I'm not so up on anything recent, sorry.

Singular, not plural.

:ROFL:

Actually about the whole plural/singular thing. Yes, ice cream is a non-countable noun and should be singular. But... in the original post the adjective miniature was used. It seems to me that this made it into a countable noun and therefore plural is acceptable.

This works the same way as ordering cokes at McDonalds. Coke is non-countable, but if you are ordering in sizes, it becomes countable because you are actually ordering the cups which happen to be filled with coke.

So there :wag:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It seems to me that this made it into a countable noun and therefore plural is acceptable.

Except it is a large Coke, or small cups of Coke. "Cups" is the plural.

And you call yourself an English teacher.

:wag:

ETA: Wait, you are teaching English there in Japan, right?

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*kicks can* :(

Kick_Can_emoticon.gif

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
True, it is the cups that is supposed to take the plural, but when was the last time you ordered "three large cups of coke" and not "three large cokes".

Yes, I am an English teacher*, and it is true that the grammar books say coke can't be plural, but people look at you funny today if you say it correctly. It is assumed you are talking about the cups right?

Yes, formally it is incorrect, but when the size is predetermined, that size becomes a countable noun and the noun the size refers to is often dropped from the sentence.

Or am I totally messing this up. Keep in mind I'm teaching something closer to EFL than ESL. English that my students can use to be understood on their two week home stays and trips to New York. Not long term living English.

I still think that adding a size adjective makes it into a countable noun though. :tongue Though I need to look it up. Some other grammar magic may be happening than what I'm seeing and my grammar vocabulary is woefully lacking. I know it better in Japanese than I do in English at this point.:gaah

I should put more smileys in there, the above probably reads a whole lot harsher than intended. No harshness should be in there at all.

*technically. I'm one of those guys who came to Japan with absolutely no training and they say, "Hey, you are a native English speaker, teach English for us. Here, we'll pay you this <obsene amount of money for someone with no training or certification> to do it. You start on Monday, we already have 12 classes a week lined up. Oh, here is the text book the previous teacher used. Tell us if you have any problems."

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
But they weren't there for very long....

Are you referring to the 30 second rule? I thought that only applied to things dropped on the ground. Or is there a rule for someones pants, too?

K_Woods

9 of 10 Overlords prefer Evil Pie!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
web.itctel.com
Are you referring to the 30 second rule? I thought that only applied to things dropped on the ground. Or is there a rule for someones pants, too?

I thought it was 5 seconds, and the Mythbusters blew that one apart. As for pants...do not know, do not want to know.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Evil, please.

Evil tastes better.

Good is so...vanilla.

Vanilla cokes!?

:)

So glad the work day is over.

So sad I had to spend all day without teh cantina.... it's not fair.

Let's see.... what's up with me??? .... Nothing...

ok, everybody keep on keepin' on!

Status
Not open for further replies.