OH NO!

yesandno

stagnationtown
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I did it. My first submission ever. I hit the send button, and it went. I hovered over the "withdraw submission" button, but have so far resisted. I figure I should go ahead and get my first rejection over with. It's not a big deal right? Right?

jhtatroe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennifertatroe.com
Congrats yesandno! It's a great, scary, teetering-on-the-edge sort of feeling, isn't it?

P.S. If I recall correctly, 7-11 sold hamburgers shaped like hot dogs for a while, so they could keep them warm on their little hot dog roller things. Indeed, it was a Bad Idea.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
OMG JH, 7-11 just started selling those here. They look like, well, turds.

Yesandno. Submitting is a horribly scary thing. The thing to remember is that once you've sent it, you must stop worrying about it. It's out of your hands. Move on to the next story. When, or if, you get a rejection, send it out somewhere else. Unless you get a personal rejection with a comment. If the comment is valid then you could change the story, or decide to nto change it. The important thing is to send it out immediately, and stop worrying about it. Really. It's hard to do but it can be done.

And congratulations.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Well done yesandno the first step is always the hardest, but now it's done and you shouldn't worry about it coming back. Move on to the next story and submit that too.

yesandno

stagnationtown
Registered
Reaction score
7-11 stole my bad idea! I hope it is a huge embarrassment to them.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll let you know when I get my first rejection...:)

yesandno

stagnationtown
Registered
Reaction score
p.s. As long as the rejection isn't accompanied by a note that reads: "You SUCK. And furthermore, you will ALWAYS SUCK" I think I'm okay with it.

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
Well, I did it. My first submission ever. I hit the send button, and it went. I hovered over the "withdraw submission" button, but have so far resisted. I figure I should go ahead and get my first rejection over with. It's not a big deal right? Right?
I beg to differ--it is a big deal! It means you've accomplished something--you've written something that you're proud of--you want to share it with the world--and you've taken the first step to accomplish that.

Regardless of the outcome of this one submission, congratulations are in order! :Thumbs:

yesandno

stagnationtown
Registered
Reaction score
FIRST REJECTION! And it happened so fast! Gah!

It just said the piece wasn't what they are looking for at this time.*

*but I suspect that translates to: "You suck. And furthermore, you will always suck. Sincerely, people who don't like you or your writing."

Now I feel like I have to rewrite everything I've been considering sending out. Is that normal?

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Nah, it translates to no. Nothing else. :)

Congrats on getting the first one out of the way. Now, get working on that second rejection!

(and yes, perfectly normal. It's probably not a bad instinct to have, if it causes you to have a last look over them).

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
It is a normal feeling, but that could mean anything really. It could just be bad timing or they have had a lot of that type of story recently. I wouldn't read anything into it. Put it back into an envelope and send it right back out again.

yesandno

stagnationtown
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurances that my reaction is normal. You guys rock!

I truly don't know what I'm doing, and this forum has been so helpful. THANKS!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Check out Stephen King's book On Writing. He filled a spike in the wall with rejection slips. I mean, who among us wouldn't like his sales record?

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
I have 3 rejections already and I have my first story out with 2 others.
Perhaps we should do a submission contest to see who gets more rejections or who gets accepted first...

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
nah. doesn't mean you suck. it means exactly what it says.

have you read Heinlein's rules? (did I spell that right?)

don't tinker. push that puppy back out the door.