Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
My mom pushed me to get a boyfriend my whole life. She was a wild child who had started dating at 13. I'm the complete opposite. Sometimes its best not to listen to parents.

I had one boyfriend, but that was in grade six and everyone was like... You know. But, my class held a "wedding" ... Don't ask, too complicated ... because by that time everyone had "went out" with multiple people, and this was my first "boyfriend" (take note of the quotation marks in this long, run on sentence) and they were shocked that I had one. So they held a wedding.

They still used it against me.

But now my friends know who I like, and... Dear lord, save me.

TMI is The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Telling my friends who i had a crush on in HS was the biggest mistake of my life.

I should have learned from the horrible experience in grade school when they found out who i like then, but i thought "friends" would be different. They weren't. Thankfully i went to an all girls school, so I thought they would never meet my crush who was actually my co-worker at the time.

Biggest mistake of my life was inviting him to my sweet 16, along with my friends.

You know that gut wrenching feeling of embarrassment you get when you see a person make a fool of themselves sometimes? I get that feeling every time i think back to that birthday.

But my friends were evil. I doubt yours will be.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I make a complete idiot of myself on a regular basis and then remember everything in excruciating detail, so I sympathise.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
ugh, that sucks.

I totally empathize. I once really liked a guy, and my friend liked him too and told him, and continued to make fun of me around him (even when I was there) to a point where HE would tell her "That's enough, stop being such a bitch."

We got in a long argument over that, BUT now we're still bffls (I have many bffls).

ETA: Yeah, the good thing about me at an all-girls school was that none of the girls at my school had regular contact with guys that weren't related to them, while I did, so they always made fools of myself and I was like 'wazzup?'

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
@Para: Hahaha same here!!!

Actually that was the only time it wasn't me making a complete idiot out of myself, my friends did that for me that day.

Although I'm sure this guy still thinks I'm like mentally ill or something. The amount of times i completely made a fool out of myself around him is probably uncountable. Walked right into a glass door while talking to him once. Ever see Date Night, when they walk into the glass doors, yeah that can actually happen.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha :)

I can't wait to see what I'll manage to get myself into. Probably, I won't ever date anyone because I'm too socially awkward, and then I'll grow older and still beside, try eHarmony or whatever butit won't work, and then I'll grow even older with my cats.

Pretty simple.

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed a discussion about height earlier (I know I'm slow on the uptake--sometimes I get wrapped up in, you know, writing :p). There's a question I always like to ask girls:

Would you date a man who was shorter or the same height as you?

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
My first crush lasted (somewhat off/on) for five years (7th-11th grade). I asked him out my freshman year, but he turned me down. My junior year he turned into a complete jerk around me. It wasn't until I came to college with my best friend from HS that I learned that he actually liked her during most of that time.

I told my best friend who I had a crush on in seventh grade and her response was, "Him? Why?" I didn't tell anyone who I liked again until senior year and then I refused to use names until we were dating.

ETA: I would if I loved him. It would be weird for me to date someone shorter than me, though.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Matthew's character profile!!

ETA: CIW: Taller.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
CIW: Yeah, definitely!

I don't like dating guys who look younger than me- because most do, since I look older than fifteen, and besides, I like guys a little more mature than my age group- but I'd date a guy my height or shorter. As long as they don't try to make me stop wearing heels (because that is a lost cause, my friends), I don't really care that much about height.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
In gradeschool kids told me that. They told me i'd either end up a nun, or an old alone crazy cat lady. I believed them for a very very very very long time. Somewhere up on one of there dating sites, I probably still have a profile, an evil few girls in my class made for me in 8th grade. They said stuff to me that are too painful to repeat actually.

My GS experience made me so socially awkward from lack of any friends fro 5 years, that in HS I was the female version of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory. I still suffer from horrible social awkwardness, hence why i have few friends, very few. And all of them are as socially awkward as me, which is why we get along.

I never thought I would have gotten a boyfriend, let alone a real friend in my life. But long story short it happened.

Don't sell yourself short. If you have a crush go after him, if nothing comes of it don't worry. Love, real love, tends to sneak up on you when your not even looking for it. So be patient.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Beginning of Chapter 2! Between my Lady Sherlock and my Lady Lestrade. They're actually friends in my version (well, Danielle is Veronika's friend. Veronika acts like a sociopath, but Danielle just smiles and tells her she's being rude)

There was something about the end of October—always starting the Monday before Halloween—that forced people to try to ‘include’ Veronika Metzger.

By people, of course, she meant Danielle Goldberg.

“You are isolating yourself, and that isn’t healthy,” insisted the thin girl on October twenty-fourth that year, standing near Beaver Lake during lunch period, scarf flapping in the wind. “I know you say you’re an introvert, but that doesn’t mean you don’t still need human relationships.”

“I have human relationships,” retorted Veronika.

“You have me,” said Danielle, “and you only see me at school, and ninety percent of the time you’re wishing I’d leave you alone to dwell on morbid, depressing things that you somehow get a kick out of. That doesn’t count.”

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. I love those characters already.

I'll be going to bed soon.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
:D

But yeah, I generally find that tall girls and short guys don't get enough credit or representation in fiction, and relationships between the two get even less.

Which is why Veronika is a tall 5'8" and David (the Irene Adler character) is a short 5'5".

Yay for characters who defy terribly annoying gender stereotypes!

ETA: Not that those two will necessarily end up together. NOT AT ALL. I don't even know who'll end up together.

David might not even be in the first book.

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
I DEMAND MORE SNIPPETS.

[FONT=&quot]
“Get the kit,” I told him.
Warner reached into the glove box and pulled out a leather satchel sitting on top of the car’s registration. “Pass the duct tape, one of the GPS transmitters and Mr. T.”
He looked up from the bag. “Mr. T?”
“The taser.”
“You named your taser?”
“It’s not like Dad and I are allowed pets in the apartment.”
“I’m going to end our friendship if you’re about to tell me your taser ‘pities da fool.’”
You didn't specify from where. :D
[/FONT]

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
In gradeschool kids told me that. They told me i'd either end up a nun, or an old alone crazy cat lady. I believed them for a very very very very long time. Somewhere up on one of there dating sites, I probably still have a profile, an evil few girls in my class made for me in 8th grade. They said stuff to me that are too painful to repeat actually.

My GS experience made me so socially awkward from lack of any friends fro 5 years, that in HS I was the female version of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory. I still suffer from horrible social awkwardness, hence why i have few friends, very few. And all of them are as socially awkward as me, which is why we get along.

I never thought I would have gotten a boyfriend, let alone a real friend in my life. But long story short it happened.

Don't sell yourself short. If you have a crush go after him, if nothing comes of it don't worry. Love, real love, tends to sneak up on you when your not even looking for it. So be patient.

I had to laugh at the nun part. I'm not surprised people told me I'd be one, because they always think I'm Catholic because I'm so "religious" (I don't swear, I go to youth every Friday night... nobody can talk about sex or whatever around me because of this) but I'm Pentecost.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
My first crush lasted (somewhat off/on) for five years (7th-11th grade). I asked him out my freshman year, but he turned me down. My junior year he turned into a complete jerk around me. It wasn't until I came to college with my best friend from HS that I learned that he actually liked her during most of that time.

I told my best friend who I had a crush on in seventh grade and her response was, "Him? Why?" I didn't tell anyone who I liked again until senior year and then I refused to use names until we were dating.

ETA: I would if I loved him. It would be weird for me to date someone shorter than me, though.

Talking about crushes i still remember every one i had they count up to 3. And nothing came of any of them but torment when others found out.

In second grade I had a best friend named Blue (yes i'm not joking that was his name) I was madly in love with him even at that very young age. Then he changed schools. Although we lived only 5 blocks away from eachother i never saw him again but still held a major crush on him. He was a skater, and in GS my bullies found out about him and that I'd been practically in love with him for several years. (he was actually originally Max in my series.) You know the song Sk8ter boy? My class would sing that every time i walked in the room for like all of 6th grade. When i was 14 i met him again, actually talked to him a little. OH MY GOD!!!! He was nothing like the 7 year old i remembered. The crush ended there. After 7 years i tried to forget i ever liked him ever! Changed his character in my book to Max, a completely different person. I realized i was really in love with the imaginary person i thought he would be but wasn't. But to also answer CIW. Blue was shorter then me and I still liked him. Its the personality that counts not height. Turns out he's the same height as me now.

There was my one coworker who i talked to alot, who was two years older then me. He quit and then i found out through facebook hes actually gay...

Then there was Rob another co-worker. The boy I was so crazy about that i walked into glass doors distracted. The boy my friend paid $5 to kiss me on the cheek at my birthday party. The one who was technically responsible for the scar on my arm when i fell down the last three steps because i was staring at him from a window in work. (And i found out later he saw me fall) The one I almost got fired over, because i would stay way way after work then i should have just to talk to, and i would screw up the work schedule which i made so he head to relive me from my shift almost every time i worked. I asked him out a total of three times, 1st to a sports game... i was so nervous i literally had word vomit. To this day i'm pretty sure he had no idea i was asking him out... i'm sure he only got the words "Theres a game, in a box, i have tickets." Second time i asked him out it was my last day at work and i asked him to see spider man 2 with me. He said he'd call me... then never did. Also Rob was just about the same height as me. Maybe only an inch taller.

Then by the most random series of strange events 2 months later i met Will out of pure unbelievable luck.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I had to laugh at the nun part. I'm not surprised people told me I'd be one, because they always think I'm Catholic because I'm so "religious" (I don't swear, I go to youth every Friday night... nobody can talk about sex or whatever around me because of this) but I'm Pentecost.

I was called Mother Allison in my catholic grade school because i behaved in class and didn't know why they all laughed every time we were on the page number 69. To think about it now, i really question there upbringing if 4th and 5th graders knew what that was....

They had bets to see if i'd become a nun or crazy cat lady when i grew up. Which i was rudely reminded about a few years ago by an asshole who was in my class. Long story

In 8th grade i was seriously freaked out and scared for my life that i would become a nun. Because a nun came into our class to talk about vocational callings, and said "If alot of people tell you, you would be a good nun, that's what your meant to be." They all had a field day after she said that. I came home crying that day begging my mom not to let me be a nun. At least i can laugh about it now.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
While the thread is more alive than it's been in a while..... Anybody want to YAWN? :D ...Posting at the next :00, I think.

ETA Just to chime in to the conversation..... Tally, I love the snippet. As far as height goes, one of the guys I've liked the absolute very most was 5'6". I would've given just about anything to be able to date him. Generally speaking, though, I do tend to like guys who are my height or taller. But there have been a few very awesome men who've been shorter. :)