Songs that make you sob, either in a good or bad way...

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
Music is a fundamental for me, always has been, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. That said, I wonder if there are other folks out there who have certain songs that can break the brink of tears and actually make you cry like a baby.
I have many songs in my playlist that can bring me to tears (if I let them :)), but there are two that do it every time, no matter what:
Wouldn't it Be Nice, by the Beach Boys.
I'm in a long distance relationship, going on two and a half years. I can't hear this song without sobbing.
Chasing Cars, by Snow Patrol.
We heard this song playing from a bandstand (with no band) when we were walking hand in hand for the first time in twenty five years.
I guess I should clarify...The long distance relationship is with the girl I fell in love with in grade 1 and we reconnected two and a half years ago.

So, any other weepy saps out there?

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Ára Bátur by Sigur Rós

And that is the reason why they are one of my favorite bands. Somebody asked me why listen to music, I had them listen to this, and they learned why.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like Druid, mine relate to a long distance romance too. Shortly after a divorce that was not my idea, I was planning a trip to England, where I'd always wanted to go. I started making travel plans by talking to a lady friend I knew through a website, and it went really, really well. We were soon Skyping every night. I ended up being her date for her friend's wedding, and I fell in love with her and with England. We dated about a year, but she wouldn't move her kids to the US (and I don't blame her), and with UK's immigration situation at the time no Americans were getting jobs there. She's moved on to a different great guy, and I'm taking the long way to England via Uganda and the Peace Corps. But I still love England, and I will live there some day.

Three songs particularly make my throat get that scratchy feeling:

"Wheels" by Foo Fighters. I had this playing in my head each time the plane was zooming low over the rows of red brick houses and green fields. I wanted something better man, I wished for something new. I wanted something beautiful, I wished for something true. When the wheels come down, when the wheels touch ground...

"One day like this" by Elbow. The song was popular in England a couple years before, but I had never heard it until I was in Coventry for the wedding. That was one of many great days I've had in England. I was lucky to have more than "one day like this a year."

"Sacre couer" by Tina Dico. Although about Paris, this song reminds me of walking around London at 4 pm one cold December evening. It was just getting too dark for my camera to take good pics, and I remember putting my camera on the railing to get a picture of Parliament all lit up across the Thames. I knew that I had a choice in my life, and as the song says "I could go home, to my love, and live the life I've always wanted. Or I can go on, running off, into the night, lonely and haunted. And the strange thing is, I don't know which I prefer. As I sit here and watch the sunset on Sacre Coeur."

Sorry, I'm just a sappy romantic on the surface as well as at heart.

druid12000

Registered
Reaction score
Ára Bátur by Sigur Rós

And that is the reason why they are one of my favorite bands. Somebody asked me why listen to music, I had them listen to this, and they learned why.

Yes.
That.
Phenomenal.
Where have I been hiding that I didn't know that rapture?
Thanks Will, I owe you one :)
I also didn't understand a single word.
For those of you paying attention, that is the beauty and the true essence of music. If your heart soars for no other reason than that perfect moment then you have clarity. Peace!

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
A song I was balling my eyes out to:

New York I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down by LCD Soundsystem (I couldn't find the exact version, but here's the music video)

I watched their live show Just Play the Hits, and was crying off and on through the entire movie. In the movie, the main singer James Murphy stands on stage a says, "This is our last song." And I couldn't stop from crying. The last frame of the movie is a kid in the audience just balling his eyes out, and I was just like him.

catherineshanahan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theleaptrilogy.blogspot.ca
Cheesie as this is everytime I hear Adele's Someone Like You I bawl...and it makes no sense cause that song has no relevance to my life at all.

But it gets me missing the one who got away (despite the fact there wasn't one who got away in my life)...

then after I stop crying I like to laugh at myself!

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Ára Bátur by Sigur Rós

The one that gets me is Viðrar vel til loftárása - both the song and the video. I love Sigur Ros.

I don't get emotional at songs often, but there are a couple that get me.

"Rocket Man" by Elton John, but moreso the cover version by Maynard James Keenan. My aunt passed away at the age of 38 - we were very close. She left three children behind. "Rocket Man" was her favourite song, and I'll always associate it with her.

I've probably buried the others somewhere right at the back of my mind. I'll dig them up later on when I'm safely at home and can weep in private ;)

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Arms Of An Angel by Sarah Mclachlan, mainly because every time I hear it it makes me think of those ASPCA commercials with the abused animals.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Leontyne Price singing Holy, Holy, Holy.

The trio in the last act of Gounod's Faust (if it's well sung).

The last act of Puccini's La Boheme, especially Colline's farewell to his coat and those intense final chords.

The guillotine scene from the Dialogues of the Carmellites by Poulenc.

Yep, I'm an opera buff.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Star Spangled Banner

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Arms Of An Angel by Sarah Mclachlan, mainly because every time I hear it it makes me think of those ASPCA commercials with the abused animals.

That ad ruined that song for me; It doesn't make me sad, it enrages me and I can't listen.

AdrianLynn

I haunt QLH
Registered
Reaction score
"What Sarah Said" by Death Cab For Cutie. I can't pinpoint exactly why it made me cry the first couple of times I heard it because I've never had to sit by someone's bedside and watch them die, but it'll still get to me sometimes.

"Into the West" performed by Annie Lennox. It still makes me tear up every time I hear it, but it only started to after I watched the extras on the Extended Edition and learned the story of Cameron Duncan.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
The one that gets me is Viðrar vel til loftárása - both the song and the video. I love Sigur Ros.

Ágætis byrjun is their masterpiece. But I really like Svefn-G-Englar much more. It's that bass reproduction of a heartbeat that pulls at you.

"What Sarah Said" by Death Cab For Cutie. I can't pinpoint exactly why it made me cry the first couple of times I heard it because I've never had to sit by someone's bedside and watch them die, but it'll still get to me sometimes.

Ooo, that's a good one too.

druid12000

Registered
Reaction score
The Tide is Turning by Roger Waters.

I used to have the tape (yes, I'm that old and I'll hit you with my cane if you don't get off my lawn! :)) of "The Wall, Live in Berlin", and there was a moment, that isn't in the videos, when either Cyndi Lauper (go figure that she had spectacular moments in that performance) or Bryan Adams, just let loose a primal scream that gave me chills every time I heard it.

Also, from Roger Waters' 'The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking': "5:06AM (Every Stranger's Eyes)"