Castle: could he actually be a sucessful writer?

acockey

Bronies, Bronies Everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
This is a two fer. If Castle where an actual writer, would he be able to produce what the show portrays him accomplishing? Would he be successful with his penchant for spending most of his time running around with cops? Would police let a real novelist get that close to that many crime scenes/ evidence? just curious

P.S. Nathan Fillion is a real good stoic emoter...meaning he is good at displaying emotions when he is not.

My new fav show is Castle on TNT

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
Not a cop, so I can't answer that part of it.

Not sure about the 'would he' or 'could he' parts. I've seen books published and written by 'Richard Castle', so he obviously can...unless you're going to try and tell me it isn't a reality show. (Didn't much like the one Richard Castle book I tried to read - only made it about 20 pages in.)

By the way, the TNT shows are obviously reruns. The new ones are on ABC.

boozysassmouth

Warthog, skin is already thick.
Registered
Reaction score
The Richard Castle books are real-life versions of the ones he publishes in the show. My sister has one, and it has the same dedication as the novel they showed on the show, Something Heat is the title. I can't remember the first word.

The average police department would likely let a writer go-on as many ride-alongs as he wanted to go on, but I doubt they'd grant him anymore than that. Depending on the police department he'd have to endure at least a minimal background check (including fingerprinting) to as much as a complete check and a polygraph. This is far more difficult than it sounds. I volunteer at a police department, and I really, really don't think they'd let him get near police files or evidence just for research purposes. I work on cold cases, and I only get to read them because of my grad school major.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
The background does mention that he is friends with the mayor and since US mayors are technically the head of the police dept (even if they do farm off a lot of the day to day running to the chief) I reckon that level of influence can get you that level of access. Though I always got the impression that they tolerate him more for his insights and how he can help them rather than his own research - he gets access to files (and limited at that) because of his detective skills.

At least he does not have the same problem as Jessica Fletcher who seems to attract murderers where ever she goes to the extent that it is possible that she commits all the murders and then frames someone else to take the rap for them...

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Richard Castle books are real-life versions of the ones he publishes in the show. My sister has one, and it has the same dedication as the novel they showed on the show, Something Heat is the title. I can't remember the first word.

You do know that those are ghost-written in real life, right? That there is no Richard Castle and those are media-tie-in books?

As to the OP--yes, books can be written with that kind of interaction. The average best-selling author averages about 4 hours a day, 4-5 days a week working on their novels. (Both Stephen King and Nora Roberts have said they only write 10 pages a day.) Considering there's a LOT of boring down time where detectives are calling, sitting, waiting, etc, that the TV show doesn't show because it's boring, there's time for an experienced writer to get writing done.

Whether or not he'd get that access--that's according to departmental rules and politics. The show gives a reasonable explanation (he's pals with the mayor) for how it all started. That he's proven himself useful in investigations explains why it continues. That reflection on reality is the hallmark of good fiction.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
On the show, Castle gets a lot of privileges through being "a friend of the Mayor".

(Of course, the show also has one of those giant, seemingly omniscient secret conspiracies, so I don't expect it to be very realistic.)

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
The show has him publishing I think 4 Nikki Heat books in the last four seasons. At his weekly poker game, James Patterson (I think) comments on it "Seriously Rick, one book a year?"

Previously, he had supposedly published something like 13 Derrick Storm books and half a dozen or so best-selling mysteries.

He's obviously smart, educated, intuitive and creative. We see that every week in his police work. I'd say he's characterized well as a person who could definately be a sucessful writer.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
Though I always got the impression that they tolerate him more for his insights and how he can help them rather than his own research - he gets access to files (and limited at that) because of his detective skills.
It actually started, as I recall, because there was a killer who was staging copycat crimes out of Castle's Derrick Storm books; they brought him in as a consultant because, well, he wrote the books. Then he decided to stick around and pulled strings with the mayor to be there as a ride-along for research. They spent a good chunk of season one feeling he was an interloper and wanting him gone, but he kept piping in with genuine insights that proved to be useful.

At this point, if I remember correctly, he's technically there as a consultant rather than mayorally-dictated research; either way, they actually value him as part of the team. And there have been a few episodes with Castle wrestling with the fact that he is giving a lot more of his life to the NYPD than to his writing career now.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Yep, the first Nikki Heat book came out during season 2. He got inspired for a new series by Beckett and that's how Nikki Heat came about. Just watched the season 2 ep recently where the first book is released and Castle doesn't know if he's going to do another and Beckett's happy it'll be done and Castle gets offered a different book deal - but by the end, the sales of Nikki Heat 1 are SO good, his publisher offers him an even bigger deal and he has to continue the series.

Beckett isn't pleased that she'll have to keep working with him.......except she is. He's grown on her and some of the cases would've taken a lot longer to solve without him - or maybe not been solved at all. ABC has been airing a rerun/weekend and it's so much fun seeing how it developed. I originally started watching in season 2, so I missed how it started on first airing.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just need to sAy, the Castle books are super good. I always amuse people by flipping them over to show the author photo of Nathan Fillion. The books are what the character on the show would write, so they are fictionalized versions of the show's characters. It's such a weird metafictional thing to create but they are very well written and entertaining.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Nathan Fillion plays a caricature of a famous author. It isn't meant to be taken seriously. But it is a fun show, one of my favorites. Most because of Fillion and Stana Katic. They have great chemistry.

I have wondered about the Richard Castle books. I know my library has them, but they are never checked in. One of these days I will get the first one just to check it out.

ElJeffe

Registered
Reaction score
I keep meaning to watch this show. I've been a huge fan of Fillion's ever since his time on Buffy, and I need to get with it. Maybe when I'm caught up on Bones.

Yeah, I have a thing for Whedon alumni.

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Love the books. Its so easy to just picture the book characters as the TV characters. They have that Castle humour too. It has to be one of the show writers writing it - though I do long for an actual Richard Castle.

Also love the little references in it - like how the judge in it is called "Horace Simpson" as they had Dan Castellenta (ie. The voice of Homer Simpson) on the show playing a judge.

Ashwood

supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious
Registered
Reaction score
I seriously love Castle (a highlight to Mondays), and I recently stumbled across a real-life Richard Castle book. Seems like you guys think they're pretty decent, I'll have to check one out!

Quantum1019

Registered
Reaction score
It's a great show but when does he possibly find time to write?

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I think the events on the show are only a small portion of his weekly routine... I always imagines that he gets called maybe once a week at most, maybe spending a couple of days on a case, and the rest of the time he writes.

Also, there will be loads of time in the average police day when Beckett sits there doing nothing but paperwork... as an unpaid 'consultant' he doesn't have to do any of that... :)

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Also, there will be loads of time in the average police day when Beckett sits there doing nothing but paperwork... as an unpaid 'consultant' he doesn't have to do any of that... :)

And Beckett testifying in court; doing paperwork and plain old boring stuff like that would give him time.

I don't expect much more than my sweet eye candy and romance.

And I get it!

;)

MsDashwood

Getting back to writing...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Castle show. I seem to remember there used to be a thread dedicated to the show as there is to other shows (other than this one, which is about his credibility as a real life writer) - but now I can't find it?
Anyone know where it is?
Or if I just dreamed that there was one? :D

Rhymes with Clue

Trying to be mysterious
Registered
Reaction score
I am a mystery author and yes, the cops will let you go on ride-alongs (in Denver they will let any citizen go on a ride-along--you have to sign a bunch of stuff saying that, for instance, if they get in a shoot-out they aren't responsible if you die or they can kick you out and get on with their business).

I know some mystery authors who have much greater access, due to cultivating relationships with their local police force. Nothing like Castle (they don't let them solve the crimes) but plenty of access.

The show isn't going to show much of Castle writing because a person writing isn't really very exciting. The poker games are authentic, though. And they have had real-life mystery writers in the poker game in cameos. Michael Connelly, for one, and leaving stephen Cannell's chair vacant.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I've just been watching an episode of Criminal Minds in which Joe Mantegna's grizzled FBI profiler is getting a phone call from his publisher. She loves his thriller manuscript! It's brilliant as always! Except - "Except what?" - Except it's not finished! It turns out the bit that's missing is, get this, the dedication. And they really need the dedication because, and you have to imagine me choking on my beer at this point, they have a print deadline. So I guess they don't bother editing, typesetting, designing or selling in Joe Mantegna's books, or doing much in the way of prerelease marketing, because the publisher gets about two hours to read the manuscript before it goes off to print. Gaahhhh!!! We are not Kinko's!

(Castle doesn't seem too bad, actually, in terms of publishing verisimilitude, and Castle's output seems to be around a book a year. Does anyone know if they've ever done a subplot where Castle turns his book in and it's a bit of a dog and needs a lot of editing? I would rather relish that.)