Guys, you must read this

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
Some of you may have already seen this, but I thought I would post the link for those who haven't. Michael Sterns, former HaperCollins editor and founder of Upstart Crow, just posted a very informative entry on his blog. It is actually a speech he wrote and delivered at a recent conference. The first part is about picture books. The second part, due out this weekend, is about novels. Check it out. It's wonderful stuff.

http://upstartcrowliterary.com/blog/?p=921

Last edited:

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
That was an interesting read, thanks Hedgetrimmer.

I remember reading something about Mem Fox and how hard she struggles to find the exactly perfect word for each and every sentence. So much care and deliberation, and yet they make it look effortless.

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
Great link!

Thanks for the link--what a great article.

I would love to try a picture book some day--reading this makes me realize what an art it is and why it's so difficult to write a good one. I love this quote:

"If you attempt picture books, you should attempt them as picture book writers—rooted in a love of language and very young concerns."

Hedgetrimmer--even though it might be for a slightly older crowd, your use of language in Sweetness reminds me of Michael's comment about sound and rhythm being so important. That story seems to flow so effortlessly and has so much heart.

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, CharleyGirl.

As much as I enjoyed Mr. Sterns' piece and appreciated his candor, I took a bit of exception to his strong dislike against writers attempting to write in more than one genre. While I understand where he's coming from, I don't agree with it. Sometimes a project comes to a person that can only be put down in a certain form. So, regardless if someone usually writes novels, if an idea comes in words and images that are best captured as a picture book, I see no reason why that person shouldn't follow his creative muse and write what the heart dictates.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, CharleyGirl.

As much as I enjoyed Mr. Sterns' piece and appreciated his candor, I took a bit of exception to his strong dislike against writers attempting to write in more than one genre. While I understand where he's coming from, I don't agree with it. Sometimes a project comes to a person that can only be put down in a certain form. So, regardless if someone usually writes novels, if an idea comes in words and images that are best captured as a picture book, I see no reason why that person shouldn't follow his creative muse and write what the heart dictates.

He didn't say he dislikes writers who write in multiple genres. He just said those writers need to query their strongest work to the agent, rather than saying, Here I wrote all this stuff in different genres! ie trying to query a bunch of different genre work all at once.

Instead, I look for writers who put their strongest stuff forward first. If she feels her picture books are her strongest material, then she should start there. If she feels she is primarily a novelist, then she should start with a novel. The goal when starting out and approaching an agent isn’t to sell yourself as able to do everything—sorry, I don’t believe you, and my experience makes me skeptical of self-declared renaissance types. The goal is to appear focused and dedicated to your genre. The goal is to show you’re dedicated to doing this one thing as well as you can to the best of your ability. And then, after you’ve hooked the agent with that, you can go about revealing the erotica you write for defrocked clergymen (if you must).

He did seem to dislike people who write a PB because they perceive that it's 'easy'. Because in reality it's really hard.

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
He didn't say he dislikes writers who write in multiple genres. He just said those writers need to query their strongest work to the agent, rather than saying, Here I wrote all this stuff in different genres! ie trying to query a bunch of different genre work all at once.
Yeah, you're right. I probably should start reading more carefully.:)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I finally had time to read it, and I have to say, as a first-grade teacher, I completely agree. Most of the PBs I see posted here or shared at conferences simply aren't good enough. I like how he says a PB is more like poetry than a short novel. Certainly all the ones my students enjoy fit that description. There's something about a really good read-aloud that gets you drunk on language. There's a compelling quality to the language, that makes kids want to grab the book and try it out for themselves, just to feel those words coming out of their own mouths. Too many wanna-be PB writers are so busy trying to write a story, when what they need to do is create a single, intense experience.