Status
Not open for further replies.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Hugs for Kris. Honestly, I know it sucks, but what the others said, you did the right thing. No mommy-fail at all.

Also keeping my fingers crossed for your reading. You'll do great and I'd so totally come and see you if I lived even close to the area. :)

LW and Rick's You've Got Mail saga was hilarious and I'm with Tas on Sbux breeding like bunnies. We have a very cool local indie coffee chain, so that's where I usually go, but there's also a Starbucks right around my corner, which has saved me from many a caffeine dilemma.

Man, I forget how good sleeping for eight hours straight feels. One of those days where I totally slept through my alarm clock, but it's okay, because it's my weekend anyway and that way I can stay cooped up in front of my computer writing all night.

I swear, housemate's boyfriend probably thinks I'm the most boring person in the world. I guess it's a good thing that I've given up worrying about what people will think.

On which note, there's a Dalek dangling from my car's rear view mirror and my license plate holder says "My other car is a TARDIS".

...What? ;)

Oh and LW, I've said it before, but will say it again, your revision speed is amazing! Fingers crossed for editor love.

Okay, I'm off, hoping to finish this end-of-book climax tonight. :)

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Also keeping my fingers crossed for your reading. You'll do great and I'd so totally come and see you if I lived even close to the area. :)

LW and Rick's You've Got Mail saga was hilarious and I'm with Tas on Sbux breeding like bunnies. We have a very cool local indie coffee chain, so that's where I usually go, but there's also a Starbucks right around my corner, which has saved me from many a caffeine dilemma.

Man, I forget how good sleeping for eight hours straight feels. One of those days where I totally slept through my alarm clock, but it's okay, because it's my weekend anyway and that way I can stay cooped up in front of my computer writing all night.

Oh and LW, I've said it before, but will say it again, your revision speed is amazing! Fingers crossed for editor love.

I’d go see Kris, too!

Yay for sleep!

Yay for writing!

And thanks. I love this character and her world. It’s so easy for me to write, and it was crazy how, once I reimagined this after I read her notes, it just fell into place. That, and I’ve been a little obsessed with it. :eek: Oldest came in this evening and said “have you gotten to type ‘the end’ yet?” I replied by showing her the last page. She shouted “WOOHOO! Will you come DO something with us now?” Oops. I just hope it doesn’t suck.

Happy writing!

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
And thanks. I love this character and her world. It’s so easy for me to write, and it was crazy how, once I reimagined this after I read her notes, it just fell into place. That, and I’ve been a little obsessed with it. :eek: Oldest came in this evening and said “have you gotten to type ‘the end’ yet?” I replied by showing her the last page. She shouted “WOOHOO! Will you come DO something with us now?” Oops. I just hope it doesn’t suck.

Happy writing!

Um, did I tell you guys how I finally met my brother's gf in person last month and it apparently took her all of two days of knowing me to turn around and ask my brother, "So, is she ever going to FINISH this book?"

Yeah.

Um.

Thanks. :tongue

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Um, did I tell you guys how I finally met my brother's gf in person last month and it apparently took her all of two days of knowing me to turn around and ask my brother, "So, is she ever going to FINISH this book?"

Yeah.

Um.

Thanks. :tongue

I just read a cartoon . . .

Person one: I'm writing a novel.
Person two: Me neither.

Or something like that.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Nice, Dys. Want Lela to kick her ass? ;)

OH!!!!

I forgot to say —

Amarie, kiddo likes your book! She came home yesterday and was telling me what’s going on in the story, and I asked if she liked it and she said “Yeah. She uses really good adjectives.”

They’ve been talking about describing things in her writing class. :D

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com

Or something like that.

*snerk*

Nice, Dys. Want Lela to kick her ass? ;)

Haha, thanks, but I can do my own ass-kicking *dons stompy boots* I like her, even though she's apparently a worse control freak than I am. And really, I just told her to go be a full-time student on top of her full-time job and then see how long she'll take to finish a book. Also, she doesn't read (something that horrifies my brother ;)).

I have to say, I'm sad that youtube doesn't have the Family Guy "So, you're writing a novel" video anymore. Still priceless.

Oh and minor paperwork accomplishment, I finally filed for financial aid today (go me!), which always happens pretty late in the year for me, but it's all good. I figured I'll try in hope for some "free" money, because even though I'm getting tuition and fees paid for the next year (I'm still yay-ing about that, btw), that doesn't mean I'm not worried about things like car stuff happening or tax time coming up or having to save up so I can actually take some time off while student teach etc. etc.

Being an adult kind of sucks sometimes. ;)

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid we had 6 canaries. Over time five died and we had one left - my bird (there was one for each of us). Anyway, one day a cat knocked its cage over and the bird flew out and over the fence.
Later that day I started door knocking and asking neighbours if I could have a look in there yards - hoping somebody had caught it. After checking quite a few I got to the end house and the owner, a wealthy lady who would want for nothing, said 'Oh yes! The lovely singing bird! I found her a couple of hours ago and put her in my cage.'
So she directs me to my bird and I'm like, 'Vanessa! (bird's name)' And I'm all grinning and happy. Then the lady turns to me and says, 'I'm keeping her. She sings sweetly and you can't have her back,' and just showed me out the front door.
Well, I blubbered all the way home.
My parents tried to get the bird back but the lady wouldn't budge. She was such a bitch.
Years later, when I was eighteen and started going night-clubbing I saw her (her husband part-owned one of the clubs) standing at the door with a stamp in her hand and in front of everyone I charged up to her and shouted 'You stole my bird, Vanessa! I was only eight years old! Have you no soul?' Lol.

I'm glad you said something. Adults doing that to children deserve far worse, imo.

On which note, there's a Dalek dangling from my car's rear view mirror and my license plate holder says "My other car is a TARDIS".

Woot for car and book!

Clovia wins the interwebz any given day. :D

+1

Or something like that.

:)

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to say —

Amarie, kiddo likes your book! She came home yesterday and was telling me what’s going on in the story, and I asked if she liked it and she said “Yeah. She uses really good adjectives.”

They’ve been talking about describing things in her writing class. :D

:roll:So glad she didn't say I used really good adverbs.

Kris, I've decided the best thing to do in those situations, particularly if you have another pet who will be lonely, is to get one soon, and also tell the kiddos they are doing a good thing by providing a good home to a new animal (or bird). If you don't take the new animal home, it might go to a different place that isn't as good, or it might not get picked at all.

I was so torn up over losing a young cat last year that I waited to get another, and was miserable for too long. I won't do that again.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have two dogs right now. I plan to get a puppy when the oldest one hits about 14 - 15 depending on her health. I had two before when I got the poodle because I wanted the oldest to help train her. I try to keep at least two because I know I'll be unhappy when I lose one. I've been doing that for years. I get too attached and I'm miserable when I lose one of my babies. When I lost my other chihuahua 13 years ago, I didn't get another one for a year and I won't do that again. Only one for that long wasn't enough.

ETA: Got interrupted and didn't finish the post. Kris , my point was that getting another pet as soon as you can is better than waiting, imo.

Last edited:

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was the guy on the veranda, with the fake-eye camera.

See I'm on to you!

Tired. Very tired. Left work at 4, ate then picked up a large purchase of bulk items from lowes. Well I drove back and forth and back and forth for 4 hours getting everything home, I have a small car. Tomorrow I'm taking a PTO day and doing a HUGE home improvement project. I have the ambulances on speed dial.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Purgy meetup!!

338f763b.jpg

Bonus: cute baby:

4c891946.jpg

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
On the pet thing sorry kris on the traumatic pet event.

Guys, I'm sorry to be so prickly, but can we post warnings for content like this? I really wish I wouldn't have read this post. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Great meetup pics! Gotta love a man in uniform. ;)

On the pets - Kris, you did the right thing. My first pet was a parakeet and I was devastated when he died, but ultimately it was a huge learning experience. I'm sorry to hear all the horrible pet-loss stories though. :(

So - I KNEW my agent was gonna forget to tell me - so I just logged in to a random pm from another AWer (Perks) asking about my deal in PM. After a furious five minutes of registering for an account and paying for a month's subscription - YES, my book deal has been announced! Ta-dah!

Ramsey Hootman's C0URTING GR3TA, about what happens when two people who don't believe in romance give love half a chance, and the freedom that comes with letting go of every last scrap of pride, to Micki Nuding at Gallery Books, by Jim McCarthy at Dystel & Goderich Literary Management (World English).

The line they used is the last line of my query, which I was never content with, so that makes me feel a little sick to see. Haha. I'm sure it's fine though. :)

(Incidentally if anyone else wants info from PM, I now have access for the next 30 days! :))

Last edited:

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Jo! So exciting!

:snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy:

ETA: Fabulous pix--you guys look great! Bebe, aussi!

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
That's awesome, Jo!

Love the pictures, LW and Rick! :D

HI CRICKET! :hi:

So, there's this local Night of the Running Dead 5k run/1 mile creep'n crawl going on in October. I may be in the process of trying to convince all my nerdy friends to come do this with me. Really, there's no way I could do a 5k (bad leg kind of put an end to all this running business) but I would be perfectly content to dress up as a zombie and chase people for a mile to donate for cancer research. ;)

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome, Jo!

Love the pictures, LW and Rick! :D

HI CRICKET! :hi:

So, there's this local Night of the Running Dead 5k run/1 mile creep'n crawl going on in October. I may be in the process of trying to convince all my nerdy friends to come do this with me. Really, there's no way I could do a 5k (bad leg kind of put an end to all this running business) but I would be perfectly content to dress up as a zombie and chase people for a mile to donate for cancer research. ;)

Please do this, and tape it. :D

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Please do this, and tape it. :D

Supervisor friend made the valid point that we probably won't both get the night off (it's a Saturday, meaning crazy busy), but I may just be tragically sick. I mean, hell, I have a giant zombie scratch across my forearm (got it at work and it's still kind of angry red even as it's healing. I'm convinced that if the zombie virus lurks anywhere, it's at WM.)

If I do this there so will be pictures etc.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
JBuck, I can't believe someone would steal a child's pet! And, yeah, glad you said something!!

{{{{{Kris}}}}}}

Everyone offered great advice, and I think you did the right thing. It's so hard though.

PS — Clovia wins the Interwebz today.

Abso-freakin-lutely!

LOVE the meet-up picks!

Status
Not open for further replies.