Got "the call"...

TheWritingRunner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewritingrunner.wordpress.com
This happened to me, and this is what I did.

I let the agent know that I had other agents currently reading the MS, and it was only professional to let them know I had an offer so they could either offer or pass. The offering agent was okay with this, and even expected it.

I contacted the other agents with my MS. I told them I had an offer, but I was still interested in their agency. I wanted to get back to the offering agent before too long, so was X date enough time to review the MS or did they need more time? I gave them two weeks, and they all seemed fine with that.

Then I waited. I thought up what I wanted to ask the agents if I got multiple offers, and I tried to narrow down my choices so I'd be better prepared. If it was between X and Y, who would I go with? kinda thing. Weighed the pros and cons. Oh, I also did this before I contacted the agents, because I had a few that I wouldn't have chosen over the offering agent (the offering agent was a better fit, though all were good agents), so it seemed silly to waste their time reading my MS if I knew I wouldn't go with them anyway.

I got two more offers. I spoke to each agent on the phone and asked my questions, heard their vision for my book, got a feel for them. Then I said I wanted to sleep on it, made my decision, and notified all the agents.

I ended up going with one of the other agents. I felt bad about turning the others down, especially first one, but this is a business decision so you have to do what's best for you and your career.

Congrats and best of luck!

This is my agent story POINT BY POINT, so I'll just quote you. :)

TheWritingRunner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewritingrunner.wordpress.com
Then I emailed Superstar Agent and told her I was sorry but I had decided to go with another agent. THEN she got back to me (within 15 minutes) saying she wished me the best and hyperbolically praising my work... not sure if that means she would have offered, or wouldn't have offered, but anyway, I don't care anymore! EW Agent is EW, and I think we're going to get along fine.

Just to add to my previous post, this is pretty much what happened with me, in terms of one "superstar" agent I didn't get an answer out of during the week when I suddenly had 3 offers.

Another "superstar" agent's assistant never replied at all... and then, a few months ago, I got a really dejected email from the NEW assistant who was really annoyed that no one replied because she was going through the old emails, found my query, got excited, realized they had the MS, got really excited... and then found my multiple follow-ups about being offered representation, which had gone unanswered. She actually wrote me and said, "If anything ever happens, PLEASE call us." HA!

Of course, given the problem I'm having with my agent right now, I can't help but wonder what would have happened if this NEW assistant had been the old assistant... ;)

It's a funny business. Best of luck with the agent you've chosen and keep writing!